Nice article on Mazda color - SOUL RED

I've never been a fan of red cars, but both the Soul Red and Crystal White Pearl do look nice. In fact I think the white is my 2nd favorite color on the CX5.

Way back in the day we had a Red Toyota MR2, that eventually turned pink.

Too bad all current Mazda paint is so thin. Pro details who know what they are doing always use a paint thickness gauge before they polish any car and I see reports all the time how thin Mazda paint is compared to other major brands. Makes a good case to have a "coating" applied when the car is new.

What supportive references can you provide for your claim about Mazda paint?
Too bad all current Mazda paint is so thin. Pro details who know what they are doing always use a paint thickness gauge before they polish any car and I see reports all the time how thin Mazda paint is compared to other major brands. Makes a good case to have a "coating" applied when the car is new.

Maybe it is because I put a clear bra on my CX-5 but my paint has held up well. I think I have two little rock chips I fixed with touch up paint. Lots of debris on mountain pass to sandblast it too.. Still not a single ding in the windshield either that needed to be fixed.... and all other cars are like Don't Break the Ice game for rock chip repairs.

dont_break_the_ice_650x300_.jpg

I was also never a big fan of red but when Mazda introduced the Soul Red, I was sold on it.

The color has gold flakes in it and when the sun hits it the color changes to a golden red. In the shade the color is a deep red color. It changes as the light hits it. I would describe it as CANDY APPLE RED.

I've had random strangers comment on the color at gas stations and drive thru's.

Sould Red is Mazda's FLAGSHIP COLOR and you see it in all the commercials. The parchment (off white) interior really finishes off the red color.

Last edited:

I am hearing off and on about this but yet to find any supportive evidence supporting this. Also, not sure even if indeed it's thin whether its isolated to just Mazda or across multiple vehicle companies of late.
I am also reading that since soul red and white are 3-coat paint they are slightly more durable than others. Again - don't see clear evidence either way.

I seriously considered color... but vehicle replaced was red... model wasn't in inventory at time...and frankly got a little lazy and thought...

Silver is low maintenance when it comes to dirt and grime.... it has lived up to that except when you are up close.

Is it my favorite color? .... no.. but it has been low maintenance and I don't find it objectionable..

What supportive references can you provide for your claim about Mazda paint?

I frequent a number of well known auto detailing websites that are also frequented by many top notch professional detailers who often present there work. As I mentioned most of the top pros take readings with a paint thickness gauge. Every report I've seen over the past two years regarding late model Mazdas has seen paint thickness considerably less than other late model cars. I don't mean this as a negative, but it is something everyone needs to be aware of, especially if you plan to machine polish your car/cuv.

I can't provide any additional information other than what I've observed and stated above--I didn't keep track of who said what and how often, but it is something I paid attention to since I've been contemplating the purchase of a CX-5.

Back