Koni STR.T Front Struts for MS3

Davicho

:
ZoomZoom
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if anyone here knows if the Koni STR.T front struts that are specifically made for the 07-13 MS3 will work and fit fine on our MZ5s? I am looking to upgrade the KYBs to these struts as Koni only makes the Sport Yellows for our vans which are adjustable and its cool if I wanted the adjustability for street and track but I don't. So I was wondering if these struts being that they are made for lowering springs and that they are for the much more nose heavy MS3 would be a good choice.

EDIT: Given that they list the same part number for the Sport Yellows for ours vans and the MS3, I assume that these struts would fit and work just fine. Thoughts???

Koni Part:

8750-1088L
8750-1088R

Any feedback would be great!

TIA

Last edited:
If not, you will be more than happy with the Yellows. I get the impression that they are not meant to be "adjusted" all the time to suit various conditions. I think they are adjustable to your specific tastes in terms of firmness and are then left alone. I haven't touched mine since about a week after I installed them and fine tuned the firmness to my liking. The STR.T would be nice because I believe they are a little cheaper than the Sport...

If not, you will be more than happy with the Yellows. I get the impression that they are not meant to be "adjusted" all the time to suit various conditions. I think they are adjustable to your specific tastes in terms of firmness and are then left alone. I haven't touched mine since about a week after I installed them and fine tuned the firmness to my liking. The STR.T would be nice because I believe they are a little cheaper than the Sport...

Exactly the reason why I am looking at the STR.Ts I can buy both sides for just about the cost of one Sport Yellow. Adjustability I don't need, and the SRT.Ts are designed for lowering springs as well.

I contacted Koni last night with my question and they responded right away. I guess I can lay this question to rest...

"David,

Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. The STR.t struts spec’d for the Mazdaspeed 3 will physically fit on the car, but they are not valved for the use on a Mazda 5. OE spring and H&R both use different part number for the Mazdaspeed 3 and Mazda 5. The Sport shocks and FSD dampers are capable of crossing over as they are firmer in valving. Using the struts on an application not specific to KONI literature will also void any warranty coverage.

Mason O’Hara

Technical Sales Representative

The question is: V50

The answer is: Mz3 and Mz5 share the SAME front OE shock. Mz5’s extra weight is mostly due to the badonkadonk.

FWIW, the MS3 shocks have a different part# b/c the spring is lower, thereby the shaft and/or valving is shorter/stiffer b/c there is less stroke/travel to work with to offset the jounce. My .02 but I’m not KONI. The rear is a different discussion.

Last edited:
Yes, Bilstein shock and struts for Volvo V50 can fit on the Mz5.

The question is: V50

The answer is: Mz3 and Mz5 share the SAME front OE shock. Mz5s extra weight is mostly due to the badonkadonk.

FWIW, the MS3 shocks have a different part# b/c the spring is lower, thereby the shaft and/or valving is shorter/stiffer b/c there is less stroke/travel to work with to offset the jounce. My .02 but Im not KONI. The rear is a different discussion.

I think the questio Davicho is asking is " does koni offer the STR.T damper for the V50? And if they do, would it be compatable with the 5? My feeling would be no on both counts sad to say. There may be aftermarket support for the V50 in Sweden, but not here

i was cross shopping another part from the V50 a few months ago. my concern was how much more does a mazda 5 weigh.

i recall the 5 and v50 were actually very close in weight. much closer than a 5 and mazda 3

i was cross shopping another part from the V50 a few months ago. my concern was how much more does a mazda 5 weigh.

i recall the 5 and v50 were actually very close in weight. much closer than a 5 and mazda 3

That's the exact reason why I went / going to V50 struts on mine.
Rear is done, waiting on fronts. Bilstein HD though, not Koni.

Back