Lowering Springs and Adjustable Shocks/Struts or Coil-overs

c7scayman

:
96 Mazda Protege DX 1.5L
As some of you know, I'm going to modify my car for the SCCA STF autocross class.

Coilovers are expensive. I looked at Bilstein PSS for $950. They are height adjustable.

I noticed that Corksport sells a set of adjustable struts and shocks (ride stiffness adjustable for daily vs track) and lowering springs (1.5" front, 2" rear) for $540. These are not height adjustable.

I'm leaning towards the Corksport set because of price and ride stiffness adjustability. Is it a competitive and reliable choice for autocross?

If you use any of these, any thoughts? feedback? reviews?

Coilovers offer a better range of adjustment, and the Corksport only have rebound adjustment. I believe the Bilsteins have dual adjustment. Spend if you can to stay competitive in STF.

The bilsteins do not have adjustable dampers, and the rears are a little short on rebound for the included springs (great spring rates though). I got my set for $750 to my door. Fantastic setup, but a little bouncy out of the box. I threw my CS rear shocks on and now its sublime. Cheaper than that, I'd do CS dampers and H&R springs.

Last edited:
At what level are you autocrossing? Local, regional, national? I autocross locally and DD mine on the Corksport setup, with dunlop direzza dz102s (read: not 'competitive' tires). If I ran in STF, I would've kicked major butt, but I was stuck in DSP due to my honesty (my wheels are 8" wide). As an autocross car it was fun, as a DD it was flawless. I got it to my first track weekend this year and my somewhat sub-optimal autox setup made the car an excellent beginner track experience. STF in my region is a little weaker than average, and our pavement is significantly crappier than average.

I probably sound old and lame, but coilovers on a DD can be a little punishing. On the whole, suspension parts for our little 2's are relatively dirt cheap. I'm happy with the CS package on my car: 9/10. I've autocrossed, had the car loaded with people and gear for camping, and tracked it. My only gripe is that when the temperature is below freezing for extended time, my stock-sized snow tires rub the fender liners in the front.

It all comes down to how fast you want to spend, and how much comfort you're willing to sacrifice for performance.

From a cost stand point; CS dampers are $540 plus shipping. Lowering springs to go on those dampers are $250 ish. $800

Full coilovers with a "you can get what ever rate you want" setup run $900 shipped. Although Font makes some great deals just about the time you need him to.

So it really comes down to comfort. DD on coilovers is "terrible" because either the rates don't match the individual's preference or it's not a quality piece. What I've found is most out of the box options are setup too soft on valving for my taste. (Others have found the same on the rear Bilsteins especially).

If you like the stock ride quality but want it firmed up a bit, choose a rate close to 300/250 and work from there. The BCs are valved to accept 30% more (or less) spring should you choose to change from there. Rear springs are super simple to swap, fronts a bit more tricky. After you swap the front springs 2 or 3 times, you can do it in under an hour and a half for both sides.

Once again, I'll extend the invitation to come up and drive mine. It's stupid stiff, but you'll get an idea of where the extreme is.

jaysatz, the $540 price was for the dampers and springs combo. By themselves the springs are $200 and the dampers $400. When I checked shipping for me in Alabama it brought the total price to $600 for the combo. I think that's a big enough price difference from any coilovers out there to make the decision a little less simple.

$600 shipped isn't a bad at all for an entry level STF suspension. The CS dampers aren't terrible, they're just not enough whence you start really tossing the car around. I was underwhelmed with them on course, but they were really nice on the street.

Latest posts

Back