CX-9 2015 Pioneer upgrade

Gtech

:
2015 CX-9 GT AWD
I finally got around to upgrading the head unit. I replaced the stock radio with the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Thanks to everyone here on the forum that helped out so I could keep everything neat and as close to factory as possible.

S3xtV3N.jpg

1dewKXK.jpg

Jlmyr0u.jpg

Last edited:
looks good!!! more details? did you buy an adapter kit so you can retain your steering wheel controls and use factory reverse camera? what about clock adjustment? what's the plugs do? hdmi for vid (in motion)?

Here is a list of everything I used below. I was able to retain all the factory features and use the factory camera. I haven't really found any use for the HDMI but might put a Chromecast or something in there one day (I wired in a parking brake bypass to allow video in motion).

*PAC RP4-MZ11 - Allows you to retain steering wheel controls and change the clock and MPG info on the display.
*Rerii USB panels - Installed these in the center console (one in the place of the factory cigarette outlet). I mainly only use one for now with Android Auto. The other one is for Apple Carplay or AUX.
*12 Volt step down - Used to convert 12 volt from head unit to 6 volt to factory camera.
*4 Pin female camera connector to oem harness - I originally made my own adapter with some PC headers but didn't like the distortion I got on the display. I found someone on the forum that made a plug and play connector.
*Parking brake bypass with triple pulse - I read some people had issues with the double pulse after Pioneer updates so ordered a triple to see if it makes a difference.

Correct. You change the clock by using the steering wheel controls. I can also still change or reset the mpg info which is nice.

Gtech, sorry for all of the questions. On my 2007 cx-9 touring i change the clock through the radio. I don't have any buttons on the steering wheel for the clock. I can only change the stations and the volume through the steering wheel controls. That is why i ask. So would that mean that i would loose the clock function then?

Gtech, sorry for all of the questions. On my 2007 cx-9 touring i change the clock through the radio. I don't have any buttons on the steering wheel for the clock. I can only change the stations and the volume through the steering wheel controls. That is why i ask. So would that mean that i would loose the clock function then?

That's ok. Since the clock buttons are no longer available everything on the display is now controlled through the steering wheel controls with the PAC. To change the clock you hold the info button to enter the setup and use volume to change hours and track for minutes I believe.

Here is a list of everything I used below. I was able to retain all the factory features and use the factory camera. I haven't really found any use for the HDMI but might put a Chromecast or something in there one day (I wired in a parking brake bypass to allow video in motion).

*PAC RP4-MZ11 - Allows you to retain steering wheel controls and change the clock and MPG info on the display.
*Rerii USB panels - Installed these in the center console (one in the place of the factory cigarette outlet). I mainly only use one for now with Android Auto. The other one is for Apple Carplay or AUX.
*12 Volt step down - Used to convert 12 volt from head unit to 6 volt to factory camera.
*4 Pin female camera connector to oem harness - I originally made my own adapter with some PC headers but didn't like the distortion I got on the display. I found someone on the forum that made a plug and play connector.
*Parking brake bypass with triple pulse - I read some people had issues with the double pulse after Pioneer updates so ordered a triple to see if it makes a difference.

2 questions:
1. Where can I get a "4 Pin female camera connector to oem harness"?. I can't for my life figure out where the camera wiring is (can't find any wiring diagrams online).
2. Where do you connect the 12-volt step down? Is this done before the power enters the camera connector harness?

I have 2 questions -
1. How did you wire the cable as shown in your last image from pioneer unit till the sockets shown in image ?
2. I am trying to figure out how to get remove existing sockets. I am unable to remove those. Not sure how did you get rid of those ( and replace them with HDMI or USB sockets ).

Can you please post some pics or provide information showing details ? Thanks in advance.

Jlmyr0u.jpg

Last edited:
Once you pry the back AC panel off you'll see the socket. It's kind of tight in the area but there are two tabs that you squeeze and then push the socket forward into the center console. This part took me a while for some reason but eventually I got it out (It may be easier to squeeze the tabs with some small pliers). I have the service manual if you need to see the steps on how to get the panel off. I left the factory USB installed since I could still use it for a charger.

For the wiring I zip tied the cables and ran them along the passenger side of the center console to the Pioneer. No need to remove the side panels on the floor or any other panels. From the rear seat with the AC panel still off route the cable down to passenger side of the console and then move the seat forward and pull the cable from under the panel. Then pull the passenger side panel slightly from the bottom so you can tuck the wires under it to the radio. Once the wires get close to the shifter you'll see it and then you can pull it up. Once you have the back AC panel off you will see what I mean. I didn't have good lighting in my garage so I didn't bother to take pics.

Last edited:
Gtech : This is extremely helpful. I really appreciate your quick response. I will try this over the weekend. Thank you very much.

I finally got around to upgrading the head unit. I replaced the stock radio with the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. Thanks to everyone here on the forum that helped out so I could keep everything neat and as close to factory as possible.

S3xtV3N.jpg

1dewKXK.jpg

Jlmyr0u.jpg

GTECH, Nice install! I am looking at installing a 4200NEX in my wife's 2012 Sport. I wondered if you were able to find a double DIN facia kit that allows you to remove the face from the stereo?

Gtech. I do not have an info button I have a mode and mute button on that side of the steering wheel. Would the mode button be like the info button?

GTECH, Nice install! I am looking at installing a 4200NEX in my wife's 2012 Sport. I wondered if you were able to find a double DIN facia kit that allows you to remove the face from the stereo?

The DIN I have allows for the face to be removed. When you press eject on the radio the face tilts out towards you and then you unsnap it from the hinge.

Back