2010 Mazda CX9 Remote Start - Change Duration

szoom1

Hi All -

I've been reading a lot and have not seen an answer to this. Is there a way to change the duration of the remote start before it turns off/times out? Mine is 10 minutes which I believe is the default, this is honestly way too short in below freezing temps. You need at least 15-20 minutes for the car to warm up.

I read the manual I found in another thread and didn't see it mentioned which was discouraging: http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx9remotestartN02B.pdf

I also took the car to the Mazda dealer and at first they said it was possible, though it needed to be cold temp outside which it was (?) and after fooling around a bit said it wasn't possible to change the duration.

I'd love to increase the time, I'm not sure why the default would be so short when in the temps you'd want to use it the car doesn't warm up enough. Very silly!

Thanks for the help!

I seriously hope you're joking.....

Want to warm up your car? DRIVE IT. Sitting at letting it idle for 10-15 minutes while cold is possibly the worst thing you can do for your car.
As you noticed, idling takes much longer(if ever) to bring an engine up to operating temp. This means its operating in open loop for even longer, dumping fuel into the cylinders. Even if you dont believe in global warming, believe that all that extra gas is washing oil off the cylinder walls and increasing wear on all the important internal parts of your engine.

Start your car, scrape the windows, get in and drive it. 30 seconds is all it takes to "warm up" your car during cold weather.

I seriously hope you're joking.....

Start your car, scrape the windows, get in and drive it. 30 seconds is all it takes to "warm up" your car during cold weather.

Well I believe he is really wanting to "warm up" the inside of the car.

Can you remote start the vehicle a second time after the car shuts down after the 10 minutes allowing the interior to warm up to a more comfortable temperature on super cold days?

Last edited:
Back