CX-5 over a Forester?

dampflesh

:
Mazda CX-5
I prefer the CX-5. The problem is, my Dad is trying to convince me into a Forester and I just don't care for them. As a matter of fact I hate them. He is convinced it's the best car on earth, and trying to talk me out of it like crazy. I've given it my best shot and he still is being obstinate about the whole thing.
What are some good arguments that can be made that I should choose the CX-5 over the Forester?
Please help!

Depends on who is footing the bill. If its your Dad I wouldn't fight it.

I'd show him the class action suit against Forester for excess oil consumption.

The Forester is a CUV with great function - their AWD technology is said to be the industry benchmark - but with the CTV transmission and slopppy handling, they're, well... BORING! That said, if that's what you end up with, I'd look into suspension upgrades. There's a previous gen Forester around here which has been lowered a bit over more sporting rubber which appears to handle well and looks kinda cool.

I prefer the CX-5. The problem is, my Dad is trying to convince me into a Forester and I just don't care for them. As a matter of fact I hate them. He is convinced it's the best car on earth, and trying to talk me out of it like crazy. I've given it my best shot and he still is being obstinate about the whole thing.
What are some good arguments that can be made that I should choose the CX-5 over the Forester?
Please help!

On a serious note - WHICH Forrester model? If its the top of the line version with high HP, Turbo its definitely faster, quicker. Now assuming you're wanting something STURDY, RELIABLE and good to drive. This is what would be my arguments:
LOOKS: I like CX5 better as it gives same features for the same price point, however it looks better, substantially better both exterior and interior.
AWD: Although its generally thought having AWD ALWAYS (as in Subaru) is good, however CX-5 has a AWD system which is light years ahead in terms of technology in comparison to Subaru. It can give proper traction, speed, torque to individual wheels depending on need which it determines in milli-seconds. This greatly improves driving in icy/slippery conditions.
Engine: CX5 has the most advanced engine setup in the world today when comparing value cars. It has the highest ratio of compression among any car. What this boils down too in at a relatively low horse power it seems to get better performance equivalent to a higher horsepower car. Couple it with tremendous fuel economy benefits - both from this type of engine and intelligent AWD system ; in the long run there's lot of value.
Transmission: Subaru CVT is the best among all CVTs. However, inherently CVTs are bad. On the other hand CX-5 is above and beyond CVTs by re-engineering the standard transmission to such an extent that it behaves like a standard transmission but gives almost all the benefits of a CVT.
Finally: There are few issues with Forrester where there are forum thread running into pages. Whereas for CX-5, there's only 1 thread about few transmission failures - which is EXTREMELY rare occurrence.
Audio/Infotainment: CX5 Infotainment system is MUCH, MUCH better than Subaru's. But Subaru's Eyesight system is much matured than CX5.

On a serious note - WHICH Forrester model? If its the top of the line version with high HP, Turbo its definitely faster, quicker. Now assuming you're wanting something STURDY, RELIABLE and good to drive. This is what would be my arguments:
LOOKS: I like CX5 better as it gives same features for the same price point, however it looks better, substantially better both exterior and interior.
AWD: Although its generally thought having AWD ALWAYS (as in Subaru) is good, however CX-5 has a AWD system which is light years ahead in terms of technology in comparison to Subaru. It can give proper traction, speed, torque to individual wheels depending on need which it determines in milli-seconds. This greatly improves driving in icy/slippery conditions.
Engine: CX5 has the most advanced engine setup in the world today when comparing value cars. It has the highest ratio of compression among any car. What this boils down too in at a relatively low horse power it seems to get better performance equivalent to a higher horsepower car. Couple it with tremendous fuel economy benefits - both from this type of engine and intelligent AWD system ; in the long run there's lot of value.
Transmission: Subaru CVT is the best among all CVTs. However, inherently CVTs are bad. On the other hand CX-5 is above and beyond CVTs by re-engineering the standard transmission to such an extent that it behaves like a standard transmission but gives almost all the benefits of a CVT.
Finally: There are few issues with Forrester where there are forum thread running into pages. Whereas for CX-5, there's only 1 thread about few transmission failures - which is EXTREMELY rare occurrence.
Audio/Infotainment: CX5 Infotainment system is MUCH, MUCH better than Subaru's. But Subaru's Eyesight system is much matured than CX5.

Thanks for taking the time to share this detailed info with me about these vehicles.. It's very valuable to me! We are going out to the Mazda dealership today so I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time to share this detailed info with me about these vehicles.. It's very valuable to me! We are going out to the Mazda dealership today so I'll see how it goes.

Remember to let your father actually drive it. Get him on some curvy roads or have him whip it around some city intersections. He'll love the crisp way it drives and it'll make him feel 10 years younger. Make sure you are having fun and he's smiling.

It should be an easy sell after that!

Remember to let your father actually drive it. Get him on some curvy roads or have him whip it around some city intersections. He'll love the crisp way it drives and it'll make him feel 10 years younger. Make sure you are having fun and he's smiling.

It should be an easy sell after that!

If you have some girls your age to join in, it'll help too. Make sure YOU take the rear, they go shotgun

In Phoenix you do not need all wheel drive, focus on FWD being lighter, cheaper, less maintenance, better gas milage and not available on Forester...

Most definitely ^ I haven't been in snow in years. I'm in the dealership right now, doing numbers. My pops actually really likes the Mazda. White, or Dark gray might be the only thing I have to worry about, ha ha! That and a fair deal of course.

No doubt, that's the difficult part. We are both footing the bill.

That's the problem with accepting, or borrowing money from others. They tend to want some control over your use of the money.

I agree with things said in this thread. It's also funny being a Subaru and Mazda owner.

One major thing to point out is the fact that if a Subaru (or many AWD vehicles) needs one new tire, there's a very real possibility that you'll need a full set of 4 if that one tire is worn down too much. Subaru AWD (and probably others) likes to have all 4 tires have the same circumference. Of course you can always buy one tire and have it shaved down to match, but you don't have to mention that. Make the case for the FWD CX-5. That's what we got, since we already have one AWD vehicle.

Get the Forester. Any problem area were solved years ago. The Forester is the best car I've ever owned. My CX5 is more fun to drive though. Ed

Get the Forester. Any problem area were solved years ago. The Forester is the best car I've ever owned. My CX5 is more fun to drive though. Ed

Going with the CX-5 Touring! Titanium Flash. We have an Impreza in the household already so I really didn't want to go with another Subaru. I wanted to change it up. My Dad really ended up liking it more than I thought he would. Almost done in finance office.
I was torn between Meteor Gray, and Titanium Flash though. The TF just looked so sick!

Going with the CX-5 Touring! Titanium Flash. We have an Impreza in the household already so I really didn't want to go with another Subaru. I wanted to change it up. My Dad really ended up liking it more than I thought he would. Almost done in finance office.
I was torn between Meteor Gray, and Titanium Flash though. The TF just looked so sick!

Hey! Congrats, I knew you could convince him!

Did you go w/the FWD?

Hey thanks! Yeah I really think he will enjoy it as well as me. Just got home. I guess I did the step by step thing here on the forum. I will be here a lot. I love modding cars. It's good to be here. I just learned my first slang term here on the forum about this car. Tit Flash!

Back