Request to call Mazda Corp: For Live Traffic

From my experiences, if the traffic snafu is that bad, no technical gadget will help. Of course relative to where you are to the crap. Besides if you're comfortable in your +32K car, who cares? Listen to some tunes and literally go with the flow...

I beg to differ. Approaches into a highway, etc. if appropriately informed beforehand then it can be avoided. Thus, I skip the wait while the navigation software re-routes me via a different route. That's why traffic is important. If you're located away from major intersections/cities I would agree its totally not required. However, as I need to go to NY daily with Washington DC/Baltimore every 2 weeks I find this feature extremely important. I have saved almost an hour by re-routes using Garmin. What's now happening is although I have an integrated GPS + Navigation in my car I am forced to use the stand-alone Garmin only because of traffic. I paid quite a hefty sum of money for this car.

is there something special about a mid level priced vehicle stuck in traffic ?
sell it, move on

apologies to all others - but my troll-o-meter has been pinging since post 1 of 365 in the last month

There's nothing special. Similar to a $100,000 car also stuck in traffic. Why should I sell it ? Just because its stuck in traffic? No. That's not what this thread is, if it was it would read as "Do you want to sell your car as it has no traffic". Instead it clearly requests users to ask Mazda to provide it. That's all its asking. In reference to your response, its actually my troll-o-meter which is pinging -- let's force everyone to deviate from the core ask.

E-mail sent. Definitely irked that this advertised feature is not working on my new car.

They're even denying this feature is not advertised. Can anyone please post the Live Traffic advertisement so I can refute Ann's claim.. see reply letter below:

Thank you for contacting Mazda regarding the availability of live traffic services for your 2016 Mazda CX-5. I am sorry to hear you are disappointed, we strive to provide only the highest degree of customer satisfaction and product quality and regret to hear of your concern.

I looked at the current brochure as well as the specifications listed on www.MazdaUSA.com and do not see where Live Traffic is advertised as an available feature for the 2016 Mazda CX-5.

I have documented your feedback for the corporate record which is continuously being reviewed by our Product Planning Department in an effort to provide only the highest quality products and customer service.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to bring your suggestions to our attention, as consumer feedback is very important to Mazda.*

Should you have any additional questions or feedback, please feel free to contact me via e-mail or by phone.* I have provided the reference number for our correspondence as well as my contact information below.

Sincerely,

Ann

Representative, Customer Experience

Select Prompt 2, then Ext. 1159

No doubt its not in the current printed brochure, but the one on their website is the same one we got when we were shopping around in Feb 2015>
Page 10

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa2/pdf/brochures/2016/2016_Mazda_CX5_Brochure.pdf

Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 12.06.52 AM.png

A feature touted by salesman at 3 different dealers when we were shopping around various manufacturers and "shown" to us during our rushed delivery demo...even though as we found a short time later was traffic history and the lame regional traffice app, in reality.

This was a feature offered on earlier Mazda connect systems and then shut off and removed in later firmware versions. Head over to the Mazda 3 forums to read about that.

Also still offered in other countries.

Last edited:
Man, I'm glad I'm not an automaker these days.

There's just no way to please everyone, all the time, and some people don't understand that features and specs are subject to change.

Based upon the incessant whining one might conclude Mazda purposefully deceived their customers to sucker more buyers. The truth of the matter is, their suppliers changed and the specs changed (just like the disclaimer warns happens from time to time).

Deal with it.

There's just no way to please everyone, all the time, and some people don't understand that features and specs are subject to change.

Based upon the incessant whining one might conclude Mazda purposefully deceived their customers to sucker more buyers. The truth of the matter is, their suppliers changed and the specs changed (just like the disclaimer warns happens from time to time).

Deal with it.

After looking at numerous posts of yours I have realized you're a die-hard Mazda fan. Thus you support Mazda here. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. But please understand - the forum is meant not only to praise but also as you put it - whine also. Deal with it? Yes, I am dealing with it. By using a stand-alone Garmin and contacting Mazda and writing about it. No harm in that, right?

Last edited:

The truth of the matter is, their suppliers changed and the specs changed (just like the disclaimer warns happens from time to time).

Deal with it.

I beg to differ on this issue. Why should I deal with it, and not Mazda?

The truth of the matter is that I paid $400 extra for the navigation system, part of the Tech Package in my 2016 GT, and because I paid extra for it, I expect to enjoy the functionality advertised in Mazda's literature and what the dealer sold me.

Heck, for $400, the Garmin nuvicam LMTHD not only offers Live Traffic but also lane departure alert, forward collision warning and a dash cam.

Garmin_zpslq6vvmfv.png
[/URL][/IMG]

How did I determine the price of the Mazda Navigation system? See price difference and features between 2016.5 Touring and GT models vs. 2016.

Back to your comment, yes, features and specs are subject to change from one model year to another, but when a feature and spec is listed for a particular model year, my expectation is that it's provided, no ifs, ands or buts. If it's not, it's called false advertising. I'm not asking Mazda to provide features available in the 2016 GT + Tech EU model, I'm only asking them to provide the features that the 2016 GT + Tech US model advertises, no more, no less.

Deal with it.

Which is exactly why automakers should be standardizing on a modular infotainment standard rather than moving towards the vehicle-specific integrated approach we're seeing. Imagine having a standard (call it DIN2 for this discussion), allow automakers to put amps and speakers where they will, but the headunit being a common size (maybe like a tablet) that will physically work in the dash or on (like the 3). This would allow the aftermarket to do what they do best - respond to ever-changing technology and the automakers would have happier customers. The headunit would simply snap-in and out allowing easy upgrades. Vehicles are lasting longer than ever, why should they be bound to technology current to the model year?

Which is exactly why automakers should be standardizing on a modular infotainment standard rather than moving towards the vehicle-specific integrated approach we're seeing. Imagine having a standard (call it DIN2 for this discussion), allow automakers to put amps and speakers where they will, but the headunit being a common size (maybe like a tablet) that will physically work in the dash or on (like the 3). This would allow the aftermarket to do what they do best - respond to ever-changing technology and the automakers would have happier customers. The headunit would simply snap-in and out allowing easy upgrades. Vehicles are lasting longer than ever, why should they be bound to technology current to the model year?

Agreed. In a way I think Mazda here is better than most. What I saw is that at least their firmware updates have an ability to ADD a feature. In other words, just for the sake of argument they do decide to give back to us live traffic they should be able to do it via a firmware upgrade. In many other competitors, its locked, like you said. But yes - its still a long way to go.

After looking at numerous posts of yours I have realized you're a die-hard Mazda fan. Thus you support Mazda here. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

You have missed my point. I'm talking about dealing with life's obstacles in a constructive manner, it's not about supporting Mazda. The TomTom navigation is a poor excuse for a navigation device. But I don't incessantly whine about how I was screwed over, I move on with my life in a constructive manner. I admit, I didn't put the GPS through it's paces on the test drive. It is what it is.

Specs are subject to change. What is it you don't understand about that? Deal with it! Sorry if that sounds harsh but you all sound like a bunch of adolescents who don't like the feature set of the latest video game release. You need to move on.

Back to your comment, yes, features and specs are subject to change from one model year to another, but when a feature and spec is listed for a particular model year, my expectation is that it's provided, no ifs, ands or buts.

That's where you are wrong! The disclaimer that "Specifications are subject to change." means exactly that. Yes, even mid-model-year.

This was true before complex digital technology was so integrated into cars and it is more true now. The world is more fluid and fast-changing than ever. Specifications really ARE subject to change. Deal with it, don't whine incessantly. It's bad for your health.

I don't consider it "whining" to contact Mazda about this. At the beginning of this thread, a Mazda rep said they respond to complaints. At the very least, they now know that many consider it an important feature and perhaps they will put more emphasis on it. No one on here is advocating lawsuit, but letting them know they did initially misadvertise their vehicles is a legitimate point to make. If they don't get feedback, or even look here and see how important it is to some, how will they improve?

Mike, if this is no big deal to you, why are you even reading all these comments? Just skip to the next thread... You seem to be determined to have input on every subject, even ones you don't care about. It's a free country and all, but perhaps you should stick to the ones where your comments are constructive and relevant. Calling people whiners because an option is not relevant to you doesn't help your point and only alienates you more.

OK, you guys carry on! But Mazda is not going to flip a switch and turn on Live Traffic. And they're not going to send you a check in the mail because specifications are subject to change. I'm just baffled as to what the desired outcome is.

Carry on soldiers! Prove me wrong. (whistle)

Nothing to prove to you or anybody else.

If enough people contact Mazda's customer care, perhaps that might motivate them a bit. Perhaps not, but it's worth a shot.

Request to call mazda corp: For live traffic

When BMW installed a different and inferior Harman Kardon premium sound system than specified in the sales brochure in 2 Series, they did send a $350+ check to any owners complained! BMW USA didn't use "specifications are subject to change" disclaimer as an excuse.

Mazda has stated in its sales brochure that real-time traffic alerts is one of the cutting-edge features in its factory-integrated navigation system. They didn't deliver. To me this is a case of false advertising no matter how you framed. Especially now Mazda North American Operations are changing their replies from it's a delayed feature to denying the feature is promised. What a XX...

Deal with it.

Mike, you are way off base on this one and sound like a Mazda automaker. The current on line advertisement indicates Nav has integrated traffic alerts, almost a year after they started shipping 2016 CX5s. If the specification changed a year ago, why are they still advertising this now? They just included Nav in all CX5s in the 2016.5s but the base Sport model so this problem/lack of function is going to be exposed to the majority of CX5 customers rather than now when only the people who purchased a GT with Teck are missing this feature. Also it is across the Mazda product line. Traffic data is in the machine and is currently presented in the HD Traffic App in a tiny screen, so it is just a matter of programming to provide updated time of arrivals and alternate routing options as they do in other markets. I found this very useful in my 2013 CX5 GT TomTom in the Atlanta area. Mazda can provide this function if enough customers request it as I believe customer satisfaction is important to them in their largest market with their most successful product.

You guys don't get it?
The fact that it's not Live Traffic is not importantly to you is totally irrelevant.
Why are you really here Bruns? You have such a bad attitude and never accept any negative criticism for yourself or Mazda. Don't they have Japanese Mazda forums where you can troll on? I think I must "block" you. Your posts are annoying AF.

Alright everyone, let's calm down here and keep the conversation civil and constructive, thanks. Mazda is not going to take this thread very seriously if it's full of bickering. In fact, we should remind them that there are many current and potential Mazda Owners / Customers in this Community and even more who browse it, that would really appreciate being heard! Unlike with "social media", we're all here primarily to discuss Mazdas, let's continue to make it worthwhile!

That's where you are wrong! The disclaimer that "Specifications are subject to change." means exactly that. Yes, even mid-model-year.

This was true before complex digital technology was so integrated into cars and it is more true now. The world is more fluid and fast-changing than ever. Specifications really ARE subject to change. Deal with it, don't whine incessantly. It's bad for your health.
Actually you are wrong!!

Regardless of the legal jargon that says "subject to change". It doesn't give the right for a manufacturer to remove a feature, device, hardware, etc from, say, your vehicle. Put another way. Imagine, using your line of thinking, the the manufacturer decides to remove the engine in your car after you bought it? What about air conditioner? Same thing. You paid for a feature, now you don't have it. There are laws for this in some areas. For example, if you you are renting and you have heat and hot water included as part of your monthly rental bill. It's been challenged and upheld in court that the landlord must offset the tenant for no longer offering the heat and hotwater.

In terms of disabling live traffic, it has yet to be challenged in the courts. It will be interesting to see what happens. And for those who don't remember, it was also challenged in the courts that a vehicle manufacturer cannot force you to return to the dealer for your oil change or other maintenance services.

OK, you guys carry on! But Mazda is not going to flip a switch and turn on Live Traffic. And they're not going to send you a check in the mail because specifications are subject to change.
How do you know? Do you work for Mazda Corp? I didn't think so. (naughty)

Back