Change automatic transmission fluid?

Official instructions do not say anything regarding the filter replacement and sump removal. Bummer. Called mazda today to order oil and filter and they told that if I drain the oil from the sump and replace the filter, that'd be only 3.5 litres of oil. If I do the flush with the mazda, they do it with special machine and they put in 10 litres??? That's a lot. And moreover, they don't drop the sump and don't replace the filter when flushing.

My understanding is that without any external transmission cooler lines (or any other type of external lines) that a flush can't be performed on these transmissions.

Official instructions do not say anything regarding the filter replacement and sump removal. Bummer. Called mazda today to order oil and filter and they told that if I drain the oil from the sump and replace the filter, that'd be only 3.5 litres of oil. If I do the flush with the mazda, they do it with special machine and they put in 10 litres??? That's a lot. And moreover, they don't drop the sump and don't replace the filter when flushing.
My understanding is that without any external transmission cooler lines (or any other type of external lines) that a flush can't be performed on these transmissions.
Yes, no matter how special or how expensive the ATF flushing machine is, theres simply no way to flush the ATF on a SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission due to a completely different cooling design from everybody else! It has no ATF lines from outside to hook up by ATF flushing machine, hence you cant flush the ATF!

That Mazda dealer is only trying to make some money for a job cant be done! (boom03)

It gets me thinking, maybe there is the way to do it. One can buy the stock heat exchanger and modify it in the way that it has two external fittings for ATF. Then remove the stock unit, put this one on, run the engine and replace all fluid in one shot. Will look into it after we're back from vacation.

It gets me thinking, maybe there is the way to do it. One can buy the stock heat exchanger and modify it in the way that it has two external fittings for ATF. Then remove the stock unit, put this one on, run the engine and replace all fluid in one shot. Will look into it after we're back from vacation.
Mazdas SkyActiv-Drive has a heat-exchanger inside and feeds engine coolant into the exchanger to cool off the ATF, while others circulates ATF into a heat-exchanger within the radiator to cool off. ATF flushing machine hooks up one of the ATF lines goes into the radiator intercepting used ATF and refilling with fresh ATF. SkyActiv-Drive has no outlet nor inlet on transmission for ATF circulation, theres no way to hook up any machine to flush the fluid!

Thiss one of the many examples Mazda is trying too hard to be different on design.

does anyone have the exact part # for ATF fluid 2016 CX-5 GT please?
One of my favorite posts for maintenance parts information on CX-5 2.0L. The transmission parts are the same with your 2016 CX-5 GT 2.5L, and Oil Strainer is ATF filter:

75k mile maintenance observation / recommendation

Spark plug structure looked identical although there seemed to be some different metal coloring on OEM. I was so mad they sent me NGK, I really didn't look at them much beyond wrapping and shipping back!
I did not trust myself to drop the pan and seal - so I had a mechanic do it. It took him some time. The fluid looked worn, but not burnt. I can't comment on color.
I suspect it was under filled from factory. I bought 2 bottle per recommendation on this forum. I chose the more expensive lube since I will not do this same service until 150k and judging how the car was running - that's about the limit. IMO of course.

Parts breakdown from mazdastuff.com (please note they corrected the spark plug mixup right away)

0000-77-SG1-QT Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-77-SG1-QT | Lng Life Hyp Gear Oil Sg1
2 $21.56 $43.12

PE5R-18-110 Mazda Genuine Part Number PE5R-18-110 | Plug,Spark
4 $22.88 $91.52

9956-41-400 Mazda Genuine Part Number 9956-41-400 | Gasket
2 $0.84 $1.68

0000-FZ-113E-01 Mazda Genuine Part Number 0000-FZ-113E-01 | Atf Type-Fz
6 $10.72 $64.32

FZ01-21-500 Mazda Genuine Part Number FZ01-21-500 | Strainer,Oil
1 $27.56

Not sure if you read what I wrote thought. Of course there is a way, with modified heat exchanger.

Not sure if you read what I wrote thought. Of course there is a way, with modified heat exchanger.
The heat exchanger within SA-Drive transmission is circulated with engine coolant. Not sure the modification on it can help getting the ATF out?

It's even easier then I thought. No need in modified cooler, but it might make the ordeal less messy.
Just drain ATF, take out three bolts that hold the heat exchanger, but don't disconnect it from coolant lines. Get the exchanger out of the way. Compression- fit two PVC hoses in ATF ports that are now accessible. Top one should be discharge port. Put it's hose into the bucket, the other one into container with fresh ATF. Run the engine. Done.
To modify extra heat exchanger that should be available from the dealer, hack the coolant fittings off, drill holes through ATF ports all the way through the top where the coolant fittings used to be. Put two fittings of the proper diameter, or just copper pipes, through holes and seal them at ATF ports, where the O-rings are.

Last edited:
Strange experience -> 4 dealers I called in NJ/NY.

1. Stated $230 (approx.) to complete flush. Recommended: Btw. 90k to 100k miles ONLY. Nothing required before. (South Jersey area)
2. Stated $300 (approx.) complete flush. BTW: 40k to 50k. Nothing required before (North Jersey area)
3. My trusted dealership: Refused. Saying: Not required. They are handling CX-5 with ODO > 130,000 miles and working perfectly. Already they have 2 instances where ATF was flushed with Mazda oil and afterwards had more problems, with mileage above 100k when car came in, with issues. (Central Jersey area).
>> This is the same dealership who refused to change my front transfer oil and showed me their official communication from Mazda Corporate office. Rear: Yes/Front:NO (unless submerged). They follow EXACTLY what Mazda recommends nothing more. In fact, mine came with oil indicator and they refuse to do oil change unless it shows 30% or below - which upon asking they confirmed takes into account even the time oil was put it (based off the reset - when clicked). B4 anyone says it - I pay, there's no maint. contract/etc. with them.
4. Refused. Same response as my trusted dealership. Only difference - they offer a drain & fill for $300 (Man'ttan price - i.e. New York) before.

Last edited:
It's even easier then I thought. No need in modified cooler, but it might make the ordeal less messy.
Just drain ATF, take out three bolts that hold the heat exchanger, but don't disconnect it from coolant lines. Get the exchanger out of the way. Compression- fit two PVC hoses in ATF ports that are now accessible. Top one should be discharge port. Put it's hose into the bucket, the other one into container with fresh ATF. Run the engine. Done.
To modify extra heat exchanger that should be available from the dealer, hack the coolant fittings off, drill holes through ATF ports all the way through the top where the coolant fittings used to be. Put two fittings of the proper diameter, or just copper pipes, through holes and seal them at ATF ports, where the O-rings are.
I guess as long as youre willing to remove heat exchanger、mess around coolant inlet and outlet ports、suck old ATF out and refill with fresh ATF while transmission is running, this can be done. But how many Mazda dealers are willing to mess around the transmission like this just to replace the fluid? Itd be much easier just drain-and-fill ATF with Mazda Genuine ATF FZ 3 times within several weeks. ;)

3 times is about 0.8 total amount. This way it is one shot for 100% replacement. Way less work for more benefit and no waste of expensive fluid.
This certainly is DIY project, although if I was a dealer, I'd offer this service.

3 times is about 0.8 total amount. This way it is one shot for 100% replacement. Way less work for more benefit and no waste of expensive fluid.
This certainly is DIY project, although if I was a dealer, I'd offer this service.
Agreed! (2thumbs)

Sorry - what's this part?

Strange experience -> 4 dealers I called in NJ/NY.

1. Stated $230 (approx.) to complete flush. Recommended: Btw. 90k to 100k miles ONLY. Nothing required before. (South Jersey area)
2. Stated $300 (approx.) complete flush. BTW: 40k to 50k. Nothing required before (North Jersey area)
3. My trusted dealership: Refused. Saying: Not required. They are handling CX-5 with ODO > 130,000 miles and working perfectly. Already they have 2 instances where ATF was flushed with Mazda oil and afterwards had more problems, with mileage above 100k when car came in, with issues. (Central Jersey area).
>> This is the same dealership who refused to change my front transfer oil and showed me their official communication from Mazda Corporate office. Rear: Yes/Front:NO (unless submerged). They follow EXACTLY what Mazda recommends nothing more. In fact, mine came with oil indicator and they refuse to do oil change unless it shows 30% or below - which upon asking they confirmed takes into account even the time oil was put it (based off the reset - when clicked). B4 anyone says it - I pay, there's no maint. contract/etc. with them.
4. Refused. Same response as my trusted dealership. Only difference - they offer a drain & fill for $300 (Man'ttan price - i.e. New York) before.

Strange indeed. My insight comments:

- Your local dealers mentioned a complete flush service when it should be drain/fill.
- The two dealers closest to me offer drain/fill service on skyactiv engines. My go to dealer even offers coupons for the service ($199 before coupon) and the parts department guy just had his skyactive engine tranny drained/filled.
- I took them up (once) on the drain/fill service at 37k miles.
- I've since DIY performed the drain/fill 2x since on 2 different cars.
- Purchased FZ ATF Fluid from said dealer telling them I'm going to DIY..they gave me the DIY thumbs up:)

Sorry - what's this part?

That's the stock heat exchanger that you already have on your transmission. You've got to buy another one at the dealer and modify it. I've got to do it as soon as I come back into the cold from the sunny paradise, as long as the price is sane.

That's the stock heat exchanger that you already have on your transmission. You've got to buy another one at the dealer and modify it. I've got to do it as soon as I come back into the cold from the sunny paradise, as long as the price is sane.

Okay... I'll bite. Why?

This kit from Amazon claims to have a rubber gasket. "A premium engineered rubber pan gasket is included "

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

41W3l5A-w7L.jpg

I'm willing to try this out when I change mine but don't plan to do the filter until 80k miles. Just gonna drain and fill for now. I'll keep an eye on it if it does break down like bmninada experienced.

I'm tired of dealing with RTV... I've never had to use on autos but on power-sports repairs.

I'm willing to try this out when I change mine but don't plan to do the filter until 80k miles. Just gonna drain and fill for now. I'll keep an eye on it if it does break down like bmninada experienced.

I'm tired of dealing with RTV... I've never had to use on autos but on power-sports repairs.

But, you won't need to mess around with the new gasket and dropping the pan if you're just going to drain the fluid. Isn't there a drain built into the pan for this?

Back