Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Change automatic transmission fluid?

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by sergeyv View Post
    That. Working as a mechanic, Iíve seen so many cars with gaskets leaking. Bad quality silicone or very old. One leaks too, but not as fast as a normal cork or rubber gasket.
    Mazda did design the thing to be sealed with RTV or whatever it is versus a gasket. I wonder why a gasket would leak though considering the transmission isn't under heavy pressure (right?). I guess its because the ATF fluid is super thin and easily seeps through crevices.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Change automatic transmission fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Mazda did design the thing to be sealed with RTV or whatever it is versus a gasket. I wonder why a gasket would leak though considering the transmission isn't under heavy pressure (right?). I guess its because the ATF fluid is super thin and easily seeps through crevices.
    The reason why those traditional cork or rubber ATF pan gasket is easy to leak is because they tend to be hardened pretty fast due to the heat.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Not to mention RTV is cheaper

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

So here's a question.

I did my first drain/fill sessions around 71k, which admittedly I should have done sooner, but oh well. I was thinking maybe 30-40k around 100-110k miles, but wasn't sure. What do you think a good next mileage interval would be? Would it also make sense to just go ahead and drop the pan and change the filter too by that point and mess with this RTV or whatever?
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    So here's a question.

I did my first drain/fill sessions around 71k, which admittedly I should have done sooner, but oh well. I was thinking maybe 30-40k around 100-110k miles, but wasn't sure. What do you think a good next mileage interval would be? Would it also make sense to just go ahead and drop the pan and change the filter too by that point and mess with this RTV or whatever?
    Interesting. Last time in (something very minor) the service manager said to not change the tranny fluid that it was life time. Doing so was not a good thing.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Sorry if it*s been shared before but I think this cat has the right idea: https://youtu.be/RuNNqh8-jkw

Colorado, give it another 50k. 125k sounds like a nice round number People over at BITOG are way more aggressive though. I saw somebody suggest fluid changes every 20-25k after the initial change, but I think that*s overkill for this animal.

Or do it when you*re flushing/replacing your coolant around 100k if you can*t wait lol.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
    Interesting. Last time in (something very minor) the service manager said to not change the tranny fluid that it was life time. Doing so was not a good thing.
    My fluid analysis on drained atf says otherwise.

And my local dealer says the exact opposite of yours, but then they try to sell a flush which can't be done on these. Long story short, most dealers don't know jack and either tow the company line of "lifetime" fluid, or they say change fluid is necessary but then they sell you a service that can't be done lol. Very few good, honest dealers it seems.

Go with common sense. Mazda also refused to define what "lifetime" means in years or miles when I reached out to them, so if you plan to own your CX-5 forever like me, makes sense to regularly change a wear item.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 12-05-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    Sorry if it*s been shared before but I think this cat has the right idea: https://youtu.be/RuNNqh8-jkw

Colorado, give it another 50k. 125k sounds like a nice round number People over at BITOG are way more aggressive though. I saw somebody suggest fluid changes every 20-25k after the initial change, but I think that*s overkill for this animal.

Or do it when you*re flushing/replacing your coolant around 100k if you can*t wait lol.
    Sounds like solid advice. Thanks!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

And my local dealer says the exact opposite of yours, but then they try to sell a flush which can't be done on these. Long story short, most dealers don't know jack and either tow the company line of "lifetime" fluid, or they say change fluid is necessary but then they sell you a service that can't be done lol. Very few good, honest dealers it seems.

Go with common sense. Mazda also refused to define what "lifetime" means in years or miles when I reached out to them, so if you plan to own your CX-5 forever like me, makes sense to regularly change a wear item.
    My dealer does a fair amount of volume given the area, and I keep inquiring about failed CX5 transmissions. The only 1 I've heard about so far from this dealer was a woman they said who flooded the vehicle at the lake or something of the sort.

I am currently at 100K, and we will just see how many licks it takes to get to the center of this lollipop!

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

I agree with your policy on regularly changing with a wear item. Haven't owned an automatic since '90 so need put these things back on the radar.

So here's a question.

I believe you can do next drain-and-fill at 50K-mile interval like ruthrj suggested from your driving style with no towing. I wouldn't worry too much to replace the ATF filter cartridge if you really don't want to mess with the RTV for pan gasket. After all the filter cartridge is designed for "lifetime", and chances are the filter will never get clogged with its large size.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    Watched many videos from this Scotty Kilmer guy and he's an old-fashioned and experienced mechanic. People who believe the "lifetime" ATF should watch this video including Unobtanium:

Should You Change Your Car's Transmission Fluid? Myth Busted

Quote Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
    My Mazda dealer has always been suggesting to do drain-and-fill on ATF, although many customers refuse to do so due to it's not on Mazda's official maintenance schedule.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

I'm not a fan of Scotty Kilmer. He seems a bit haphazard, and I saw a couple of videos he did, one on the CX-5, where he was spreading around some blatantly false information.

That said, I do agree that "lifetime" fluid is a bit of a farce. Lifetime to a car manufacturer is probably just the extent of the powertrain warranty. Lifetime to me is when the damn wheels fall off and the car has served me well for many years and hopefully at least 200k miles. I got 300k out of my last vehicle which was a Jeep GC.

I'm not a fan of Scotty Kilmer. He seems a bit haphazard, and I saw a couple of videos he did, one on the CX-5, where he was spreading around some blatantly false information.
    Yeah I can understand some people may not like this good old Texan Scotty and he trashed Mazda's because he has seen too many transmission issues.

Here's another and better video with actual parted transmission to show you why you need to do ATF change and why some people such as Unobtanium experienced transmission failure after the ATF change in detail:

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast