Change automatic transmission fluid?

I ordered 4 quarts of FZ for around $50 and plan to change mine this weekend. I will take photos of what my fluid looks like at 33,000 miles. Does anyone know what size ALLEN is needed for the drain bolt? 8mm?

I plan on doing mine around the 55k mark. Always did all my automatics once a year. Was going to do it around the 30k mark but I got the transmission replaced instead..

Probably a good idea to do the slip relearn procedure every once in awhile and after a fluid change: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/93952/mazda-shift-shock

A nice open parking lot is a good place to do it. You don't need the Mazda tool, just approximate it with your foot. I had some shifting weirdness early on in ownership - slow from a stop, but excessive non-linear pull afterward - and that corrected it.

Probably a good idea to do the slip relearn procedure every once in awhile and after a fluid change: http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/93952/mazda-shift-shock

A nice open parking lot is a good place to do it. You don't need the Mazda tool, just approximate it with your foot. I had some shifting weirdness early on in ownership - slow from a stop, but excessive non-linear pull afterward - and that corrected it.

Mazda doesn't recommend doing a slip relearn procedure "every once in a while" and it's unnecessary unless there is a shifting problem.

Mazda doesn't recommend doing a slip relearn procedure "every once in a while" and it's unnecessary unless there is a shifting problem.

As time goes on and components in the AT wear, I don't think it hurts. From what I've heard, it's a common thing to try when a customer complains about something regarding the AT.

YES 8mm is the size. Ops 8mm is for the engine. Not sure about the AT

Last edited:
This is a timely thread. When I was last in for an oil change at 40K miles the dealer recommended a tranny service. They said it was recommended-even though not in the service guide. They wanted $250 for it.

This is a timely thread. When I was last in for an oil change at 40K miles the dealer recommended a tranny service. They said it was recommended-even though not in the service guide. They wanted $250 for it.

Mine is at $308, I believe. Will do it next oil change around 44-45k miles.

For those who did the transmission fluid change... What size sockets are require to drain the transmission oil? And how do you reach the fill hole? It seems to be blocked by the air intake and radiator hose on the 2.5, not anywhere easy to access.

I haven't changed mine yet but plan to use one of these types of funnels.

http://www.galeton.com/plastic-funn...446-product/?gclid=COLL-Yei_swCFU1rfgodTeQEoA

11446_W_L.jpg

I want to change the transmission fluid tomorrow but I don't even know how to fill it since it's extremely hard to reach the fill hole when I was looking at where the atf stick/hole was.

Like Anchorman suggested a pump would be a good option too... that should be fairly easy coming in from the bottom once you drop the splash shield which will need to be removed to drain anyway

For those who did the transmission fluid change... What size sockets are require to drain the transmission oil? And how do you reach the fill hole? It seems to be blocked by the air intake and radiator hose on the 2.5, not anywhere easy to access.

8mm bolt on the bottom of the transmission pan.
Yes you need to remove the airbox to easily get to the 10mm bolt holding down the dipstick.

I recently had 2 incidents where my transmission revved before going into 1st after backing out of a parking space. The engine revved when I pressed the gas then lurched forward. I have a 2014 Cx5 with 73000 miles. I checked the transmission fluid to make sure it wasn't low and it wasn't, but the color was a light brown. I read that the transmission fluid is lifetime, but am concerned that the color indicates the need to change. I called Mazda and they said they could flush the transmission for $200. Service bulletin 05-003/13 says "flushing is not recommended as part of service maintenance". The revving hasn't happened in several weeks, but I am gun shy from a transmission failure in another car. My neighbor suggested just draining a filling once/ year with ATF FZ.

Also I see a tech service bulletin 05004 14 that talks about a whining noise from the transaxle at speeds greater than 10 mph on 2013-2014 CX-5 with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013). My vin is JM3KE2CY4E0375203, so it looks like I'm in that group. I haven't had any noise but should I be worried?

Any experience or recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Do you have warranty with mazda?, thought since it's a production fault, they should cover it.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Replaced the transmission oil today. Was pretty difficult to get to the fluid stick as I didn't bother removing the air intake box. A tip, don't put the bottom cover plate back on until you're done tightening up the screw/fluid stick on the fill hole. I dropped the screw and already had the bottom plate/cover or whatever it's called put back on... And then had to remove it to get the screw, spent an extra like 30 minute lol

Haven't really checked the fluid level yet though, just assuming that it's correct.

I dropped the screw and already had the bottom plate/cover or whatever it's called put back on...
We call it "belly pan" in VW Passat world. ;)

Wonder how difficult to remove the air intake box?

We call it "belly pan" in VW Passat world. ;)

Wonder how difficult to remove the air intake box?

Shouldn't be too bad I assume... I was just lazy and my hand can reach the atf stick and had socket/extender that was long enough to reach.

Back