Change automatic transmission fluid?

I'm a CX-9 lurker over here on the CX-5 forum. Anyone know if the drive train for the 2016-2019 CX-9 shares the same drive train as the earlier models CX-5? I had read somewhere that the 5s and 9s share the same drive platform. I'm collecting documentation on "How To"s and I really want a document that shows tranny, transfer case, and rear diff fluid changes. (Also, if there is a filter change for the CX-9 in the tranny. That would be good to know as well). Thanks.

You have a lifetime powertrain warranty????

Could be. My Mazda dealer included a free lifetime power-train warranty on new cars. No limit on miles and/or months. Warranty is through Fidelity Warranty Services and is not transferable.

I'm a CX-9 lurker over here on the CX-5 forum. Anyone know if the drive train for the 2016-2019 CX-9 shares the same drive train as the earlier models CX-5? I had read somewhere that the 5s and 9s share the same drive platform. I'm collecting documentation on "How To"s and I really want a document that shows tranny, transfer case, and rear diff fluid changes. (Also, if there is a filter change for the CX-9 in the tranny. That would be good to know as well). Thanks.
Yes gen-2 CX-9 shares the same drivetrain as CX-5. The only difference is the gear ration which is the same as CX-5 2.5T Turbo.

And yes there's a cartridge inside of transmission but you have to remove the ATF pan which has no gasket but use only silicon seal. People, at least for me, would hesitate to remove the pan and replace the cartridge.

ATF Drain/Fill

Yes gen-2 CX-9 shares the same drivetrain as CX-5. The only difference is the gear ration which is the same as CX-5 2.5T Turbo.

And yes there's a cartridge inside of transmission but you have to remove the ATF pan which has no gasket but use only silicon seal. People, at least for me, would hesitate to remove the pan and replace the cartridge.

ATF Drain/Fill

Doh! I neglected to mention that I have a late model CX-9. 2018. Is the drive train and tranny drain/fill on these late model CX-5s and CX-9s the same as what we're discussing here? Thanks.

I did a drain and fill at 48K, 75K and then dropped the pan and replaced the filter at 110K. There were some tiny metal shavings in the pan. Sine then the transmission has been shifting like new.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF & Nulon Low Viscosity ATF

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had experience with Nulons/Valvoline ATF fluids. They both make a fluid claimed to meet FZ standards.

* Valvoline MaxLife MultiVehicle ATF
* Nulon low Viscosity MultiVehicle ATF

I'm wanting to do incremental 1-2 litre changes with maybe every 2nd oil change. So in this case it will obviously be mixing with old FZ fluid.

Just wondering if this is ok to do so. The transmission fluid has never been changed. I checked the other day, fluid seems non burnt, yellow/golden colour & not low.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF & Nulon Low Viscosity ATF

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had experience with Nulons/Valvoline ATF fluids. They both make a fluid claimed to meet FZ standards.

* Valvoline MaxLife MultiVehicle ATF
* Nulon low Viscosity MultiVehicle ATF

I'm wanting to do incremental 1-2 litre changes with maybe every 2nd oil change. So in this case it will obviously be mixing with old FZ fluid.

Just wondering if this is ok to do so. The transmission fluid has never been changed. I checked the other day, fluid seems non burnt, yellow/golden colour & not low.
I'd use Mazda Genuine ATF FZ as you're mixing less than half of the fresh ATF with old fluid (~3.5 US qts drained from 8.2 US qts of total capacity) each time you make a round of drain-and-fill. Mazda genuine ATF FZ can't be too much more expensive than MaxLife ATF or Nulon Low Viscosity ATF.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF & Nulon LV MutiVehicle ATF

ATF-FZ is hard to source in Australia Sydney. I've tried ringing dealerships to see if I could purchased some from their big barrel's but none of them will sell to the outside due to whatever their dealership policy is.
I cannot find any shops within the country that stock it.
Amazon etc won't ship these fluids to Australia so I'm kinda left seeking alternatives.

I know FZ is the preferred fluid. But I'm just wanting to see if anyone else has used otherwise and their feedback.
Its the sort of situation where i ask myself (If my trusted mechanic was to do it for me, what would they use?)

Last edited:
Nulon Low Viscosity MultiVehicle ATF

Just an update to the above discussion,
I have replaced 1 litre of old Mazda FZ with exactly 1 litre of Nulon LV ATF (done at cold temps to not affect volume expansion).
Car currently sitting at 44,xxxkm - fluid was BLACK when removed from transmission casing.
Have not noticed any ill effects or noises as a result of this MINOR service.

will do some further changes later on to turn over more of the old Mazda FZ to fresh Nulon.

Just FYI since i have also discovered that Castrol also make a FZ suitable low viscosity ATF fluid (for those who have trouble sourcing FZ fluid)

Just an update to the above discussion,
I have replaced 1 litre of old Mazda FZ with exactly 1 litre of Nulon LV ATF (done at cold temps to not affect volume expansion).
Car currently sitting at 44,xxxkm - fluid was BLACK when removed from transmission casing.
Have not noticed any ill effects or noises as a result of this MINOR service.

will do some further changes later on to turn over more of the old Mazda FZ to fresh Nulon.

Just FYI since i have also discovered that Castrol also make a FZ suitable low viscosity ATF fluid (for those who have trouble sourcing FZ fluid)
From post #185 sergeyv from Australia seemed to have no trouble getting Mazda FZ ATF. I wouldnt want to mix less than half of FZ compatible ATF with factory FZ fluid.

IMO if you put back exact amount of fresh ATF with drained out old fluid, that would have potential problem of under-fill, as many have found out Mazda under-filled ATF from factory. The best is to measure the ATF level following the procedure after the drain-and-fill.

Nice!

ATF level should be at the central marker area on the dipstick at 122F while the engine is running. Make sure to shift into all possible gears during the warm-up.

Judging by the color of your drained ATF, I may consider another drain-and-fill if I were you.

attachment.php

View attachment 219691

I still think I will try that 3rd party gasket out with next AT fluid/filter service mentioned in this thread. I thought a few others did but can't remember who. Other vehicles of mine using gaskets on AT pans have never experienced leaks or weeps.

I still think I will try that 3rd party gasket out with next AT fluid/filter service mentioned in this thread. I thought a few others did but can't remember who. Other vehicles of mine using gaskets on AT pans have never experienced leaks or weeps.

Agree with you. I've replaced AT rubber gasket on 99 ML320 a few times, never had any leak. But I used MB OEM rubber gasket which was about $15 online.

Please post back how the rubber gasket worked. I don't like to think about the gasket makers.

Back