Change automatic transmission fluid?

Like I said... more of the large bore American steel use filters...not really aware of any small displacement or Japanese cars that use filters but do use screens.

Not aware of any Nissans including the 370 that use filters either.

Last edited:
[5] -> FZ01-21-500 / FILTER CX-5 2.5L $38.29 / $28.72 
b093b26a2703cd1932da0f56cd2e5d25.png

It definitely has me thinking of dropping the pan at 50K miles and changing filter as well.

Just a drain & fill at 25K miles....

Watching that video I had to think... that is one expensive barrel of SkyActiv AT fluid @ ~$15 Quart

Med Center is $14.89/quart via email inquiry

It definitely has me thinking of dropping the pan at 50K miles and changing filter as well.

Just a drain & fill at 25K miles....

Watching that video I had to think... that is one expensive barrel of SkyActiv AT fluid @ ~$15 Quart

Med Center is $14.89/quart via email inquiry

At 50k miles, please report if you see any sludge. Thanks.

There's gonna be a lot of sludge, for sure. Does it affect anything though, as long as it's being capt at the magnet? Not sure. It feels good though anyway.

Here is video from this thread

changing fluid & dropping pan in a 2.0L CX-5

Very interesting video from Japan, and this guy had put 5 strong round magnets underneath the pan to attract more metal sludge/shavings. I was surprised to see there were that much in there after only 13,121 km (8,153 miles). It says these magnets had been put on for 10,000 km. He took out 4.2 liters (4.44 US quarts) used ATF with pan removed and the fluid looked discolored and thinner compared to fresh fluid. The guy did the second ATF drain and fill which collected another mixed 3.57 liters (3.77 quarts) ATF. Approximately he changed 50% of ATF at first change, and another 50% for second change. So effectively he had changed 75% of the ATF.

From spec sheet there are two versions of SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission. FW6A-EL、FW6AX-EL has a total ATF capacity of 7.8 liters (8.24 US quarts) and GW6A-EL、GW6AX-EL has a total ATF capacity of 8.0 liters (8.45 US quarts). 3.5 - 4.9 liters (3.70 - 5.18 US quarts) are the estimated fresh ATF needed for drain and fill. Of course it says Mazda genuine ATF FZ is required for fluid change.

The video says the Mazda FZ01.21.500 filter is screen type so the guy just washed it clean and re-used it. I remember the window sticker says the automatic transmission is 100% made in Japan. I was wondering why this filter is made in USA?

Very interesting video from Japan, and this guy had put 5 strong round magnets underneath the pan to attract more metal sludge/shavings. I was surprised to see there were that much in there after only 13,121 km (8,153 miles).

I'm not surprised at the amount of fines in the bottom of the pan. That's where they're intended to end up (along with the ones caught by the filter before they settle out).

You need to remember, this transmission has two wet multi-plate power transmission clutches, one wet multi-plate torque converter lock-up clutch in addition to the three wet multi-plate gear brakes. That's a lot of expendable friction material and it has to go somewhere. Not surprising at all.

I thought the fluid looked really good too, too good to be replacing it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
812x26WdLML._SL1500_.jpg

81G9laKTnRL._SL1500_.jpg

It is interesting that it is a domestic part.... I looked around and thought maybe some domestic or Ford use but quick searches didn't turn up anything.
This filter does look like not a screen type. Nevertheless the video says the "screen type" filter got cleaned and re-installed back. Strangely these pictures of filter from Amazon doesn't have "Made in USA" on the plastic case anymore.

This Mazda filter seems to be custom designed for SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission and shouldn't be used by any other transmissions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

812x26WdLML._SL1500_.jpg

81G9laKTnRL._SL1500_.jpg

It is interesting that it is a domestic part.... I looked around and thought maybe some domestic or Ford use but quick searches didn't turn up anything.

I checked on Amazon and this is a $30 part being sold by the dealership I go to and where I got the transmission fluid flushed for the CX-5 (Avondale Mazda). Seems like a reasonable price and the skyactiv transmission looks like yet another well engineered design for DIYers. I'm curious just how effective the flush done by the dealership is regarding that nasty looking sludge in the Japanese video though. Considering I just had the flush done at 40k miles, I don't plan to drop (and clean) the pan and change the filter until around 80k miles.

Keep in mind I live in Phoenix where the average high is 102 degrees for 4 months (June-September). Asphalt/street temps reach anywhere from 158 to 172 degrees (you can boil an egg at 158 degrees) and this heat source is about 10 inches away from my transmission. The commute to work is about 45 minutes each way. Heat is major concern I have with regards to the lifespan of transmission fluid as well as engine oil. I'm even considering upgrading to DOT4 brake fluids as well.

Last edited:
I do plan to keep my CX-5 for at least 10 years so will probably change this filter at 50K miles. Maybe over doing it for maintenance but I'll just consider the $125 materials cost (fluid and filter) the cost for some piece of mind.

I'm even considering upgrading to DOT4 brake fluids as well.
I don't have manual with me; but is DOT3 the recommended brake fluid by Mazda?

I've heard some people thought DOT5 is even better than DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid. Of course we know that's not true, mainly DOT5 is not compatible with DOT3/4 brake fluid.

I think if you tow or carry a lot of people, changing the fluid at 25k miles is probably worth the $100 in parts.

I do plan to keep my CX-5 for at least 10 years so will probably change this filter at 50K miles. Maybe over doing it for maintenance but I'll just consider the $125 materials cost (fluid and filter) the cost for some piece of mind.

Considering the CX-5 (plus other skyactiv models) were tops in total cost of ownership ratings and won a few awards in that department, if the costs associated to maintaining (the second most expensive) part of the car is $125 than that's just pure WIN in my book:)

I don't have manual with me; but is DOT3 the recommended brake fluid by Mazda?

I've heard some people thought DOT5 is even better than DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid. Of course we know that's not true, mainly DOT5 is not compatible with DOT3/4 brake fluid.

DOT3 is the oem spec from ATE I believe?, but yeah I heard DOT4 is compatible. I don't think DOT 5 really applies to our daily drivers. I have to do more research into this but DOT4 does have a higher boiling point though and is widely considered compatible with DOT3.

I am not surprised with the amount of shavings in that video. The transmission is new, and just like a motor, all the components have to wear into each other so you're bound to get some debris. Pull apart the oil filter on a brand new engine and I bet you'll find some shavings in it.

I wonder what you'd stick the external filter to, as there are no external lines with ATF flow...

Back