Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Change automatic transmission fluid?

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Akera

Valvoline MaxLife ATF & Nulon Low Viscosity ATF

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had experience with Nulons/Valvoline ATF fluids. They both make a fluid claimed to meet FZ standards.

* Valvoline MaxLife MultiVehicle ATF
    * Nulon low Viscosity MultiVehicle ATF

I'm wanting to do incremental 1-2 litre changes with maybe every 2nd oil change. So in this case it will obviously be mixing with old FZ fluid.

Just wondering if this is ok to do so. The transmission fluid has never been changed. I checked the other day, fluid seems non burnt, yellow/golden colour & not low.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Valvoline MaxLife ATF & Nulon Low Viscosity ATF

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pc View Post
    Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has had experience with Nulons/Valvoline ATF fluids. They both make a fluid claimed to meet FZ standards.

* Valvoline MaxLife MultiVehicle ATF
    * Nulon low Viscosity MultiVehicle ATF

I'm wanting to do incremental 1-2 litre changes with maybe every 2nd oil change. So in this case it will obviously be mixing with old FZ fluid.

Just wondering if this is ok to do so. The transmission fluid has never been changed. I checked the other day, fluid seems non burnt, yellow/golden colour & not low.
    I'd use Mazda Genuine ATF FZ as you're mixing less than half of the fresh ATF with old fluid (~3.5 US qts drained from 8.2 US qts of total capacity) each time you make a round of drain-and-fill. Mazda genuine ATF FZ can't be too much more expensive than MaxLife ATF or Nulon Low Viscosity ATF.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Akera

Valvoline MaxLife ATF & Nulon LV MutiVehicle ATF

ATF-FZ is hard to source in Australia Sydney. I've tried ringing dealerships to see if I could purchased some from their big barrel's but none of them will sell to the outside due to whatever their dealership policy is.
    I cannot find any shops within the country that stock it.
    Amazon etc won't ship these fluids to Australia so I'm kinda left seeking alternatives.

I know FZ is the preferred fluid. But I'm just wanting to see if anyone else has used otherwise and their feedback.
    Its the sort of situation where i ask myself (If my trusted mechanic was to do it for me, what would they use?)
    Last edited by philip_pc; 09-30-2019 at 01:25 AM. Reason: ammendment, addition

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 Akera

Nulon Low Viscosity MultiVehicle ATF

Just an update to the above discussion,
    I have replaced 1 litre of old Mazda FZ with exactly 1 litre of Nulon LV ATF (done at cold temps to not affect volume expansion).
    Car currently sitting at 44,xxxkm - fluid was BLACK when removed from transmission casing.
    Have not noticed any ill effects or noises as a result of this MINOR service.

will do some further changes later on to turn over more of the old Mazda FZ to fresh Nulon.

Just FYI since i have also discovered that Castrol also make a FZ suitable low viscosity ATF fluid (for those who have trouble sourcing FZ fluid)

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Change automatic transmission fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pc View Post
    Just an update to the above discussion,
    I have replaced 1 litre of old Mazda FZ with exactly 1 litre of Nulon LV ATF (done at cold temps to not affect volume expansion).
    Car currently sitting at 44,xxxkm - fluid was BLACK when removed from transmission casing.
    Have not noticed any ill effects or noises as a result of this MINOR service.

will do some further changes later on to turn over more of the old Mazda FZ to fresh Nulon.

Just FYI since i have also discovered that Castrol also make a FZ suitable low viscosity ATF fluid (for those who have trouble sourcing FZ fluid)
    From post #185 sergeyv from Australia seemed to have no trouble getting Mazda FZ ATF. I wouldn’t want to mix less than half of FZ “compatible” ATF with factory FZ fluid.

IMO if you put back exact amount of fresh ATF with drained out old fluid, that would have potential problem of under-fill, as many have found out Mazda under-filled ATF from factory. The best is to measure the ATF level following the procedure after the drain-and-fill.

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Nice!

ATF level should be at the central marker area on the dipstick at 122°F while the engine is running. Make sure to shift into all possible gears during the warm-up.

Judging by the color of your drained ATF, I may consider another drain-and-fill if I were you.

Attachment 219691

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516