Change automatic transmission fluid?

Sorry...disregard my post on that... I jumped the gun while looking at general aftermarket AT filtration options not considering the lack of an external AT cooler in the CX-5.

I notice in FSM that when dropping pan:

•*To avoid damaging the control valve body, if there is a large amount of foreign matter at the bottom of the oil pan when the oil pan is removed, replace the oil strainer with a new one.
•*If there is not a large amount of foreign matter at the bottom of the oil pan, the oil strainer does not have to be replaced.
•* Install the oil pan with new bolts before the applied sealant starts to harden.

I plan to do a drain and fill every 25K miles so probably sometime later in the spring time.

I'll buy 6 quarts of AT fluid since it seems a drain gets our around 5.1-3 quarts.

I'm also picking up a new drain container as I want to ensure I can get as close as possible on refill quantity. I ordered one of these polycarbonate containers and will add additional measure marks.

I will have CX-5 up on ramps so the 9 inch height won't be an issue.

523536.jpg

I plan to do a drain and fill every 25K miles so probably sometime later in the spring time.

I'll buy 6 quarts of AT fluid since it seems a drain gets our around 5.1-3 quarts.

I assume you will measure the outgoing oil and replace it with the exact same amount?

I thought the fill is measured by pouring in the new fluid until it flows out the fill tube?

Yeah.. that is what the container image is for in post above.

It would certainly be nice if AT fills were as easy as fill to the rim of fill hole.

True... but it isn't a simple process of checking the level like engine oil and not all fluid is drained.

Temperature of fluid needs to be at a certain point to be accurate while engine is idling. (50 C {122 F} according to FSM.

Don't get me wrong.. I will be using the dipstick at the end of fluid swap to ensure proper level.

Last edited:
Yes the dipstick is grey and low in the engine bay and is secured by a bolt. Look for it near the transmission/oil heat exchanger below your airbox on the driver's side of the engine bay.

Here are some pics I took from this other thread.
Kedis82ZE8, you've always been great to answer questions and provide detail information with pictures! Many forum members really appreciate your help.

BTW, what was the color of old ATF you drained out and Type FZ ATF fresh out of the bottle? One of the protest agendas those CX-5 owners held in Taiwan was Mazda had changed the specs of OEM ATF without giving reasons after some earlier CX-5 owners experienced transmission failure with older type ATF. The color of Typr FZ ATF in the Japanese video looks dark and light blue when pouring. And he did the same way like you did, measured the volume of old ATF and refilled with the exact volume of fresh ATF. But I don't think you'd do drain and fill twice like the video did, right?

Actually I haven't changed mine yet... I did the front and rear diffs the other day.

It didn't look blue on dipstick when I checked it last year but this poster suggested it would actually show up as blue when in volume.

I'll probably obtain the new fluid at the end of the month and will report what color it looks like. Perhaps those who have already changed will chime in on color as well?

I plan to do just one drain and fill when I change mine later in the spring and then at 50K also drop/clean the pan and change filter as well.

This must be related to the ATF issue you mention above.

How many miles on your car that you already changed the front and rear differential fluid?

Mazda recommends 28,100 miles for the diff fluid.

If the vehicle is operated primarily under any of the following conditions, replace the rear differential oil at
every 45,000 km (28,100 miles).
a) Towing a trailer or using a car-top carrier
b) Driving in dusty, sandy or wet condition
c) Extended periods of idling or low speed operation
d) Repeated short trips of less than 16 km (10 miles)

If this component has been submerged in water, the oil should be replaced

Any instructions/links for transmission oil change and possibly diff oil change? My car is around 32k miles right now and haven't touched the transmission oil or diff at all, only had a few regular engine oil change

Hi,
I emailed Mazda Canada about transmission oil change and like to share what they said via email. Could anyone who had transmission flush share how was your experience afterwards?

Thank you for contacting Mazda Canada, in regards to your question, Mazda does not have a fluid exchange interval for the transmission. However is certainly will not hurt if you do change it. The drain and fill option only replaces about 30% of the fluid as the vehicle would be not running, if you do a fluid flush than you are replacing 100% of the fluid as the pressure while the vehicle is running will allow the fluid to flow through the machine, however it would be more costly this route. Either direction you choose as long as a Mazda dealer is completing the work than I would not be concerned about warranty at that point unless you are over the warranty period.

Thank you

Did our first drain/fill at the dealer at 60K, 5000 miles ago. (2014, 2.5L, AWD)
No issues, cost $120. They didn't want to do it (lifetime, blah, blah blah), but they are done covering it under warranty, so now it's time for common sense and preventative maintenance to take over.

Hi,
I emailed Mazda Canada about transmission oil change and like to share what they said via email. Could anyone who had transmission flush share how was your experience afterwards?

Thank you for contacting Mazda Canada, in regards to your question, Mazda does not have a fluid exchange interval for the transmission. However is certainly will not hurt if you do change it. The drain and fill option only replaces about 30% of the fluid as the vehicle would be not running, if you do a fluid flush than you are replacing 100% of the fluid as the pressure while the vehicle is running will allow the fluid to flow through the machine, however it would be more costly this route. Either direction you choose as long as a Mazda dealer is completing the work than I would not be concerned about warranty at that point unless you are over the warranty period.

Thank you

There you go guys. Change your Transmission Fluid.

Back