Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Change automatic transmission fluid?

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Yeah I can understand some people may not like this good old Texan Scotty and he trashed Mazda's because he has seen too many transmission issues.

Here's another and better video with actual parted transmission to show you why you need to do ATF change and why some people such as Unobtanium experienced transmission failure after the ATF change in detail:

Yeah but it was misleading. Look up his CX-5 video. He explains how someone bought a "used one with a turbo for like $2k" and how it was broken and therefore can't trust this Skyactiv technology.

Which is completely misleading because at the time there was no turbo CX-5, I certainly don't think you are picking up any CX-5 for $2k, and the Mazdas with the turbo engines with problems were all pre-Skyactiv, minus the CX-9 of course, but I don't think you are finding a Skyactiv era CX-9 for $2k. So he may be correct, and the story is correct, but he made it sound like it was a Skyactiv Mazda in his story, when there's no way.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 12-06-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 76k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Amusing column from Ezra Dyer about changing trans fluid in the December Car and Driver here. Anyone who works on their car can relate. Even tho he's talking about a stick.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Scotty is fun to watch but his references are Ford/Mazda era.... I'm gonna go ahead and change my AT within the month. If it ends up that I have a AT leak so be it.....although unlikely. I had been on the fence as I didn't want to waste new fluid $$$ depending on resolution to my long-standing issue.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 45K Miles

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

If someone thinks that transmission fluid will last forever and will never need changing. That person should forfeit their drivers license and just take mass transit. They should then have their picture placed in the vehicle maintenance hall of shame.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Forever is a long time, I can see both sides of the argument here, but what I'd really like to know is what time frame/mileage the manufacturers consider to be lifetime?? 100k miles? 150k miles? 15 years? Fluid does not last forever. There has to be a limit somewhere.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Amusing column from Ezra Dyer about changing trans fluid in the December Car and Driver here. Anyone who works on their car can relate. Even tho he's talking about a stick.
    That was an entertaining read. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Scotty is fun to watch but his references are Ford/Mazda era.... I'm gonna go ahead and change my AT within the month. If it ends up that I have a AT leak so be it.....although unlikely. I had been on the fence as I didn't want to waste new fluid $$$ depending on resolution to my long-standing issue.
    Yeah, be sure to do a measurement on dipstick of ATF before you drain and will be curious if its under filled as mine was, or if it's even lower if that's the source of your leak.

Quote Originally Posted by madar View Post
    Forever is a long time, I can see both sides of the argument here, but what I'd really like to know is what time frame/mileage the manufacturers consider to be lifetime?? 100k miles? 150k miles? 15 years? Fluid does not last forever. There has to be a limit somewhere.
    Mazda would not give me a definition for lifetime. I asked them very directly...is it the Powertrain warranty? Can you give me a mileage or years for what is considered "lifetime". They were non-committal. Best I could determine from their non-committal speak is that the fluid is "good" until your transmission breaks, has to be rebuilt/replaced and filled with new fluid. They always said "good for lifetime of transmission, and only needs to be replaced if major transmission work is done". I can read between the lines of that statement lol.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Maybe a better avenue would be to go to whoever makes Mazda's (is it Mazda?) trans oil and maybe get some specs from them. It's not the oil that wears out, it's the additives.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Lifetime for my 05 Ford Focus air filter was 120k lol. Listed as Lifetime* in the owners manual with the asterisk. 6 pt font at the bottom of the page:120k miles. Front bumper needed to be removed to replace the thing.

2017 CX5 AWD Touring

Part of the lifetime nonsense is due to the EPA and petroleum based fluids. The manufacturer tells the EPA, look we have a trans that the fluid never needs replacing so we are green and environmentally friendly. Yet, the stupidity is, would you rather replace the fluid every 50k miles or replace a transmission every 100k miles? Which has the greater environmental impact. The latter of course.

Fluid engineering basically states that ALL fluids will eventually break down due to heat, time and contamination. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOREVER LIFETIME FLUID. That is a scientific and engineering fact.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
    Part of the lifetime nonsense is due to the EPA and petroleum based fluids. The manufacturer tells the EPA, look we have a trans that the fluid never needs replacing so we are green and environmentally friendly. Yet, the stupidity is, would you rather replace the fluid every 50k miles or replace a transmission every 100k miles? Which has the greater environmental impact. The latter of course.

Fluid engineering basically states that ALL fluids will eventually break down due to heat, time and contamination. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOREVER LIFETIME FLUID. That is a scientific and engineering fact.
    There is no such thing as a lifetime transmission, engine, or differential, either, but I'm going to do my best to see how long the OEM transmission fluid lasts. 100,8XX miles and doing fine, currently.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415