Can a Late Model (2011, 2012 or 2013) CX-9 Reach Over 200,000 Miles Reliably?

MailManX

:
Toyota Sienna XLE, 2012, 8-passenger
I like to buy late model used cars with about 50,000 miles on them and keep them for a LONG time (usually about 15 years and often up to 300,000 miles). I've been a Toyota or Lexus owner for many years and for many cars. I drove my 1995 Toyota Avalon until it was at 302,000 and had no intention of giving it up except that my daughter needed a car, so I gave it to her. She drives it to this day and it is still reliable with 336,000 miles on it.

My current 2001 Lexus GS300 has 238,000 without any issues except some stupid door lock actuators. That annoyed me, but I did the work myself and saved a bunch. The engine and tranny are still very solid. I'd keep that car, but I'm getting older and arthritis in my knees and hips is making it harder for me to get in and out of that car.

I have discovered that getting in and out of an SUV is much easier for me. In shopping around, I have become very fond of the CX-9. I'm very close to buying a 2012 Grand Touring with about 60,000 miles on it, but I'm worried about longevity. I am only looking at CX-9's with FWD so I won't have to worry about a transfer case. However, stories about the pesky internal water pump have me worried. Is it still a problem on the 2012 CX-9?

I have completely avoided shopping for vehicles (like the Pilot or MDX) that use timing belts because I hate spending money on timing belt replacement two or three times during my ownership. I had to do that with both my old Avalon and my GS300. I just don't want that cost or headache anymore which is why I now am interested in either a Highlander or CX-9 because they have timing chains. However, if I might have to replace a water pump even once, much less twice on a CX-9 during the years I own it, I would consider that a far worse fate than dealing with a car that has a timing belt. If that's the case, I would buy a boring Highlander. Please help save me from that fate.

Is there any chance the that the water pump design has been revised and improved for late model CX-9's (2011, 2012 or 2013)? If so, what year and how is it working out?

Does anyone on this board have a CX-9 with over 200,000 miles on it with-OUT having to replace the that pesky pump?

Has anyone made it to 300,000 miles on a CX-9? If so, were there any major repairs (water pump or otherwise)?

Last edited:
Can't say I can exactly answer your question. I have an 08 CX-9 Sport FWD with just about 166K miles on it. The only repair I've done to date is to have the front right wheel bearing replaced. The rest has been just normal maintenance.

Mine is an 08 only has 106k but all I have done is change the spark plugs and change the oil. But I think there is a member on hear that has a CX-9 that has over 200k on his. I think he has a thread in the engine and trans section about changing the trans fluid in his 9. If I can find it I will post a link for you.

Back