Mazda Radar Cruise Control question

Not even relevant to the OP's question regarding Mazdas Radar Cruise Control Mike!

Is your CX5 equipped with or have you driven a CX5 with Mazda Radar Cruise Control?

The MRCC is designed to drive with traffic, unlike standard cruise control which is impossible to drive in traffic with. Otherwise... what's the point in its's design?

The original question was answered in the first post. Once the original question is answered, we might as well have a friendly discussion on the topic.

btw.. the MRCC is not designed to be used in heavy traffic.
Traffic, yes, but heavy traffic where OP is constantly getting cutoff is not a good place to use it.
W1UP7ZS.png

The original question was answered in the first post. Once the original question is answered, we might as well have a friendly discussion on the topic.

btw.. the MRCC is not designed to be used in heavy traffic.
Traffic, yes, but heavy traffic where OP is constantly getting cutoff is not a good place to use it.
W1UP7ZS.png

The OP's question involved driving in traffic with the system and being cut off due to the distance setting used.

The OP didn't start the thread and ask when and when not to use the system, which seems to be what this has evolved in to.

The OP's question involved driving in traffic with the system and being cut off due to the distance setting used.

The OP didn't start the thread and ask when and when not to use the system, which seems to be what this has evolved in to.

(blah)(blah)

There is no radar cruise control setting that will prevent people from cutting in front of you, causing the brakes to be applied. When you're in that type of traffic, and not even the closest setting will prevent this, turn the CC off.

It really is that simple.

(blah)(blah)

There is no radar cruise control setting that will prevent people from cutting in front of you, causing the brakes to be applied. When you're in that type of traffic, and not even the closest setting will prevent this, turn the CC off.

It really is that simple.

Delete

Last edited:
...I understand that the rule of thumb is 1 car length for every 10 mph...

Yes in the 70s.
Safe following distance is calculated in time, not car lengths. 2 seconds (real seconds, not as fast as you can count to 2) are generally considered minimum safe distance. This works at all speeds because the distance increases as the speed does. Use a sign post or lane marker or anything stationary, count one thousand one, one thousand two, that should be the time between the back of the car ahead of you passing the landmark, and the front of your car passing the landmark.

Safe following distance is calculated in time, not car lengths. 2 seconds (real seconds, not as fast as you can count to 2) are generally considered minimum safe distance. This works at all speeds because the distance increases as the speed does. Use a sign post or lane marker or anything stationary, count one thousand one, one thousand two, that should be the time between the back of the car ahead of you passing the landmark, and the front of your car passing the landmark.

(iagree) for dry pavement. It should be increased if there is rain or snow. This can be safely decreased if you have good tires and are paying attention 100% but what's the point? It's not like you're going to arrive any sooner riding the tailpipe of the car in front.

I bought my CX5 specifically for this feature of stop and go, so I agree with "what's the point", you can see it working nicely on many Youtube videos in slow moving traffic!

Yeah...you guys sound like you are looking for an autonomous drive feature and that's not what MRCC is. It works well in normal highway driving when the roads aren't too congested, though I wish it wasn't so aggressive about slowing way, way down sometimes.

1 car length per 10mph is insufficient, its about 1 second. Also, it is very difficult to judge distance sitting in a car travelling at speed, the road ahead is foreshortened due to the shallow viewing angle. I'd love to see the results of driver's estimating X number of car lengths and then compare that to an actual measurement. I suspect most would be off by a factor of 2 or more.

If you are cruising behind a car in front of you at a safe distance, there should be plenty of room for people to merge in front of you, unless you are going very slowly. Trying to close the distance so there is no room to merge is a recipe for a pile-up.

1 car length per 10mph is insufficient, its about 1 second. Also, it is very difficult to judge distance sitting in a car travelling at speed, the road ahead is foreshortened due to the shallow viewing angle. I'd love to see the results of driver's estimating X number of car lengths and then compare that to an actual measurement. I suspect most would be off by a factor of 2 or more.

If you are cruising behind a car in front of you at a safe distance, there should be plenty of room for people to merge in front of you, unless you are going very slowly. Trying to close the distance so there is no room to merge is a recipe for a pile-up.

Exactly. I have found that setting the distance to the max setting then backing off one provides the best in distance. Each driver is different though.

I do find myself backing off if I see the distance icon in the hud turn yellow. Actually promotes safety in the process.

Back