Mazda Radar Cruise Control question

tconner99

:
CX-5
I would like to talk about my adaptive cruise control. Don't get me wrong, it is great. Made me a lazy driver but cars squeeze in my safe zone even set at 1 car distance. I understand that the rule of thumb is 1 car length for every 10 mph, so 50 mph would equal 5 cars distance but there are very few drivers out on the battlefields that follow that rule. When I set my cruise to lets say a steady 60 mph, my car sets the distance at about 3-4 cars distance. That leaves me like a sitting duck waiting for every car to pass me and squeeze in between me and the car I am following which then forces my iactivesense to apply the brakes to leave more distance for more cars to cut me off.

Is there any secret setting that Mazda can do to tighten that gap a little bit. I still have the 2 and 3 cars distance settings which is more than I would ever need but that default setting needs to be tweaked.

Last edited:
Not likely to ever happen due to liability. The one car per 10 mph is a good rule for a reason. Around here people don't follow it either and almost every week there's a multi-car pileup as a result.

Are you saying you want the shortest distance (it's adjustable) to be even shorter? I was driving with mine on the shortest distance and bumped it back a couple notches. I think it adjusts from 50m down to 25m. I find if I need less than that, I don't trust the cruise control.

I agree that it is better to be safer than sorry but apparently I allow any car to zip right in front of me then I slam my brakes on, and it isn't even me doing it. It's a flawed system at a luxury price. I don't want to tailgate but I would prefer to be able to have a peaceful drive. Maybe the drivers on your highways aren't as nasty as mine are.

Last edited:
I would like to talk about my adaptive cruise control. Don't get me wrong, it is great. Made me a lazy driver but cars squeeze in my safe zone even set at 1 car distance. I understand that the rule of thumb is 1 car length for every 10 mph, so 50 mph would equal 5 cars distance but there are very few drivers out on the battlefields that follow that rule. When I set my cruise to lets say a steady 60 mph, my car sets the distance at about 3-4 cars distance. That leaves me like a sitting duck waiting for every car to pass me and squeeze in between me and the car I am following which then forces my iactivesense to apply the brakes to leave more distance for more cars to cut me off.

Is there any secret setting that Mazda can do to tighten that gap a little bit. I still have the 2 and 3 cars distance settings which is more than I would ever need but that default setting needs to be tweaked.

I drive into NY daily from NJ so you understand the traffic I face. I use EXTENSIVELY radar cruise control and LOVE it. Not buying ever another car without it.
I understand your frustration. When you're above 30 mph, there there's quite a large gap. But will you able to again reset that distance if the speed drops to 10 mph and gap's now dangerous? My take is let others come in-between. I'd rather have safety than a crash.

If the car cutting in front is going faster than I am RCC does not put on the brakes as the distance between cars is increasing. The problem is when someone cuts in front and is going slower or slows down, then the brakes are applied to establish the distance which is safer but not as efficient...

If the car cutting in front is going faster than I am RCC does not put on the brakes as the distance between cars is increasing. The problem is when someone cuts in front and is going slower or slows down, then the brakes are applied to establish the distance which is safer but not as efficient...

I think you've a typo. What you meant is RCC does not accelerate to catch up if the car in front is suddenly accelerating. That's an yes and no answer. If you've set RCC to 50 and its currently in 40, then RCC will accelerate to 50 if the car in front accelerates. But if you're already in 50, then obviously the car will remain in 50. Cruise control is dependent on speed, not distance. I don't think there's any car which drives cruise control based on distance.
Next, RCC in Mazda is quite good. It ALLOWS YOU TO ACCELERATE. In other words, nothing prevents you from pressing the gas, catching up to the car in front which is accelerating and when you feel the distance is safe/good ; you stop accelerating. All this while RCC is still active and picks up immediately once you leave the gas. This is a great feature, useful in lane changes.

When travelling 60 mph on a state one lane highway on by way to and from work I set my distance at 2 car lengths.

When travelling on the interstate at 70-75 mph I set the distance to one car length to help in avoiding what you're speaking of. I still have some idiots squeeze between me and the car in front, but the one car length setting helps eliminate most.

Simple answer:

Don't use cruise control if you are in a traffic situation that is not compatible with CC.

A little OT... does this version have an override to go into standard manual CC?

On my Infiniti if I hold the ON/OFF button in it goes into standard old school CC mode.

A little OT... does this version have an override to go into standard manual CC?

On my Infiniti if I hold the ON/OFF button in it goes into standard old school CC mode.

Yes, hold the ON button for 2 seconds.

Pg 20 - http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/musa2/pdf/smartguides/2016_Mazda_CX5_Smart_Start_Guide.pdf

2016 CX-5 Smart Start Guide said:
Switching to conventional cruise control function:
When the ON switch is pushed continuously for about 2 seconds while the Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) system is turned on, the system is switched to conventional cruise control function.

The Mazda Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) indicator light (green) in the instrument cluster turns off and Radar Cruise Control deactivated message is displayed in the multi information display at the same time.

Simple answer:

Don't use cruise control if you are in a traffic situation that is not compatible with CC.

I think what Mike wants to say is:
Do not use RADAR cruise control if either:
1. Too much head-to-head traffic and effectively there's a strong chance of cutting into your lane.
2. Speed's less than 20 mph would auto cancel cruise control. Thus where you feel there's a considerable chance of up down of speed, don't use it.
3. You have a relatively high speed but the lanes are narrow/less and there's too many cars, in which case they will be constantly moving into and out of your lane.
4. You have a tendency to switch lanes often when slowing down either manually or thru RCC. In which case at the point of changing lanes RCC will detect no cars and suddenly start to accelerate. This has happened to me numerous times and I consider this an issue and reported it to Mazda Corp. too. I am not ultra careful during those times.
5. Hilly areas, lot of winding roads. RCC won't detect until too late potentially when going uphill. Winding roads are especially dangerous since my scbc kicked in once when RCC detected a wall when it was actually a winding road.

However - I do love it! I have now mastered using it even in low speeds and once traveled over 70 miles using it in rain, snow, fog and hail. You just need to be careful.

When travelling 60 mph on a state one lane highway on by way to and from work I set my distance at 2 car lengths.

When travelling on the interstate at 70-75 mph I set the distance to one car length to help in avoiding what you're speaking of. I still have some idiots squeeze between me and the car in front, but the one car length setting helps eliminate most.

Wow, really? At 70-75 mph you are one car length behind the car ahead of you?

I think you've a typo. What you meant is RCC does not accelerate to catch up if the car in front is suddenly accelerating. That's an yes and no answer. If you've set RCC to 50 and its currently in 40, then RCC will accelerate to 50 if the car in front accelerates. But if you're already in 50, then obviously the car will remain in 50. Cruise control is dependent on speed, not distance. I don't think there's any car which drives cruise control based on distance.
Next, RCC in Mazda is quite good. It ALLOWS YOU TO ACCELERATE. In other words, nothing prevents you from pressing the gas, catching up to the car in front which is accelerating and when you feel the distance is safe/good ; you stop accelerating. All this while RCC is still active and picks up immediately once you leave the gas. This is a great feature, useful in lane changes.

No typo. I am talking about when set at 50, car ahead is doing 40 so it is maintaining distance, someone cuts in lane in front of me doing 43 and either traffic increases to 45 or the car that cut in goes back out of the lane, no braking occurs as distance is already increasing. But in same situation the cutting in front of me car is doing 38 or slows to 38 braking occurs to establish safe distance.

Not really. I have seen when around 30, its really 1 actual car length, but when at 70 its actually 2 to 3 car lengths, RCC controls the distance based on speed in terms of what a car length is.

Not really. I have seen when around 30, its really 1 actual car length, but when at 70 its actually 2 to 3 car lengths, RCC controls the distance based on speed in terms of what a car length is.

To me following that close is not worth the risk. I agree with MikeM - cruise control is not always a good idea on the highway, particularly if there's heavy traffic.

Not exactly, the setting is supposed to be one car length behind, but actually is much greater as speed increases. Having the system set to 1 car length and travelling 55 mph gives a much closer distance between cars than having it set at the same 1 car length and travelling 70 mph. The setting is relevant to speed... not an actual distance.

Sure it's relevant!

What is your point?

Is your CX5 equipped with or have you driven a CX5 with Mazda Radar Cruise Control?

The MRCC is designed to drive with traffic, unlike standard cruise control which is impossible to drive in traffic with. Otherwise... what's the point in its's design?

Back