How does Mazda CX5 GT 2016 compare with Nissan Rogue 2016 SL?

sra

:
Honda civic
I am confused between Mazda CX5 2016 and Nissan Rogue SL 2016. Anyone here had any good or bad experiences with Nissan Rogue SL?

I am confused between Mazda CX5 2016 and Nissan Rogue SL 2016. Anyone here had any good or bad experiences with Nissan Rogue SL?

No comparison. The Rogue is not modern in any sense of the word. It's porky, slow and numb.

If you don't care about driving dynamics, you might like it.

You'd just need to drive both to know what you like. Everyone here will say the Cx-5 is best. Car and Driver ranked the Rogue really low on the totem poll (12 I think) whereas Mazda was number 1 of all small SUV's. I was deciding between a Rogue and a second CX-5. The reviews alone did enough to make me not even care to test it out.

The CX-5 is a reliable, competent, effective mode of transportation.
The Rogue is a POS.

I literally would not even bother test-driving the rogue, because even if by some twist of fate you somehow like how it drives, better, it's still a POS and I wouldn't encourage you to buy it.

You should drive both. All of the handful of Nissans I've had have been excellent vehicles. I did not like the Rogue as much as I liked the CX-5, but Nissan sells many more than Mazda sells CX-5s, so it can't be too bad. The biggest reason I didn't buy a Rogue was the CVT it has. It's odd to drive and is still too prone to premature failure, though Nissan is extending the warranty to cover them.

And now I find CX-5s are having transmission issues.

You should drive both. All of the handful of Nissans I've had have been excellent vehicles. I did not like the Rogue as much as I liked the CX-5, but Nissan sells many more than Mazda sells CX-5s, so it can't be too bad. The biggest reason I didn't buy a Rogue was the CVT it has. It's odd to drive and is still too prone to premature failure, though Nissan is extending the warranty to cover them.

Since when are CX-5's having transmission issues?
I've owned Nissan/Infiniti products, as well. They sucked. The only thing good I can say is the VQ37 in my 370Z was a capable little motor for its size. The car also looked good and had a nice interior. That's the end of my praise for it.

Oh, and there's this:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/13/nissan-rogue-transmission-park-recall/
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/10/nissan-recall-76k-rogue-faulty-fuel-pump/

There is not a car model out there that hasn't had at least a small number of transmission failures. Fortunately, the CX-5 ranks very low on the list.

There is not a car model out there that hasn't had at least a small number of transmission failures. Fortunately, the CX-5 ranks very low on the list.

Indeed. I've seen reports of less than a half dozen, and I HAVE LOOKED. Also, those failures were pretty cut and dried "Boom, you're dead!" and Mazda handled them. Not these terrible prolonged issues with leaking and so on and so forth like others. Also, when they were replaced, it was g2g. Known mode of failure, situation corrected, moving on...not this mysterious "well...it might happen again..."

Okay, I have a CX-5 2016. Trust me when I tell you, I build software for a living and that's why don't trust the Internet. Car & Driver, Edmunds - nothing. So, what I did? I test drove, rented RAV4, CRV, Rogue, Forrester, CX-5. Looks wise: CX-5. Handling wise: CX-5. Acceleration wise: Forrester but their TURBO model only. Worst: RAV4. Feature wise: CRV.
Now Rogue: I had the distinct feeling along with my wife than Nissan attempted a Porche type of car with Infiniti type of luxury features and landed nowhere. It's handling is eeeee, just not there. Its fuel economy: NOT good. Nah, I discarded it.
Now remember - in order to do proper comparison I also went up to BMW X3 and Porche Macan (which I owned before substituting it for CX-5 as got more than the price I bought it. Macan is simply put - costly to maintain and my finances dropped a bit). In effect, I'd value CX-5 handling to be better than X3 but definitely lower (much lower) than Macan. To be noted: The Macan I had had torque vectoring plus and PASM suspension.

I know someone that just bought a brand new Rogue. Honestly like the look of it, but that's it. He got a dreadful 10L/100km (23.5mpg) on the highway. I was in shock when I heard that.

The rogue is the only cuv in this class to offer a third row, a cramped one, but the option is there. As a result, it offers a lot more room.

Nissan has lost some of its reliability as a result of problems with the CVT transmission of the mid 2000s. A friend of mine had the CVT on her rogue die at 117k miles (2007 model year) and Nissan did cover parts and labor for the replacement.

I know someone that just bought a brand new Rogue. Honestly like the look of it, but that's it. He got a dreadful 10L/100km (23.5mpg) on the highway. I was in shock when I heard that.

How fast was he driving? That's about what I get doing 80-85 if there is any wind.

My sister-in-law bought a new Rogue about 6 months ago. I took it for a very short drive and decided almost immediately that it would not be on my short list of cars to consider. There was something about it that really turned me off. The CVT was part of the problem, but the car just didn't feel well put together. These feelings are purely subjective, but I'm not going to buy a car that I don't feel good about.

My sister-in-law bought a new Rogue about 6 months ago. I took it for a very short drive and decided almost immediately that it would not be on my short list of cars to consider. There was something about it that really turned me off. The CVT was part of the problem, but the car just didn't feel well put together. These feelings are purely subjective, but I'm not going to buy a car that I don't feel good about.
Yep, same here. Something is missing!! It's like a cross between luxury and really low-end car. I couldn't put my finger on it, but if forced I will use what Mike had mentioned in another forum on a different topic: Didn't put a smile on my face!

I test drove a Rogue back in 2007 when we were looking for a new car. It was cramped inside, visibility was reduced and the CVT didn't feel right. I'm sure they've improved it since then but I've owned 3 Nissan's and my daughter has owned 3. They all seemed to have a higher than average amount of problems. They weren't real serious problems but problems and dollars nonetheless. We chose the CR-V over the rogue back in 2007 and it's been bulletproof. Only thing in 105,000 miles has been a new starter. Brakes lasted 80,000 miles. I would of bought a new CR-V instead of the CX-5 if they didn't have the vibration problem with the CVT.

Anyway, I'm glad I purchased a CX-5, so far it's been a great car and I like Mazda. Owned 2 previously. Stayed away from Mazda when they were partially owned by Ford.
Ford's, owned two and they were both crap.

Interestingly enough ford and Mazda must still have a partnership. When I was under the car changing the oil I saw some parts with a "FoMoCo" badge on it. Ford motor company.

Thank you everyone for being so helpful by providing your thoughts on CX5 and Nissan Rogue. I think I will do with CX5. I will closely follow other thread, that talks about prices to get an idea how much I should pay for it.

How true it is and actually Nissan sold 175,740 units more, or 2.58 times more, of Rogues than CX-5s in 2015! The VP of Nissan U.S. sales will get a biggest bonus check he'd ever got! The Rogue is Nissan's second-best selling model in the U.S., just after the Altima, and it's made right here in Tennessee. Nissan Rogue is the automotive industrys unsung hero as in 2015, U.S. sales were 287,190, up a whopping 44.17% over 2014! Here are the sales figures of top-four compact CUVs in the U.S. since 2013 when Mazda started to sell CX-5 in the U.S.:

Honda CR-VU.S. SalesChange from Previous YearComments
2012281,652-New 4th Gen
2013303,904+7.90%
2014335,019+10.24%
2015345,647+3.17%Facelift

Toyota RAV4U.S. SalesChange from Previous YearComments
2012171,877-
2013218,249+26.98%New 4th Gen
2014267,698+22.66%
2015315,412+17.82%

Ford EscapeU.S. SalesChange from Previous YearComments
2012261,008-New 3rd Gen
2013295,993+13.40%
2014306,212+3.45%
2015306,492+0.09%

Nissan RogueU.S. SalesChange from Previous YearComments
2012142,349-
2013162,751+14.33%
2014199,199+22.39%New 2nd Gen
2015287,190+44.17%

The bottoms:
Subaru ForesterU.S. SalesChange from Previous YearComments
201276,347-
2013123,592+61.88%
2014159,953+29.42%New 4th Gen
2015175,192+9.53%

Mazda CX-5U.S. SalesChange from Previous YearComments
201243,319-New 1st Gen
201379,544+83.62%
201499,122+24.61%
2015111,450+12.44%Facelift

Personally we didn't consider the Nissan Rogue when we purchased our CX-5 is because Rogue has CVT. But there must be something special for Nissan Rogue to attract so many new customers in a record pace since its redesign in 2014! Nissan definitely hit a homerun on Rogue!

Interestingly enough ford and Mazda must still have a partnership. When I was under the car changing the oil I saw some parts with a "FoMoCo" badge on it. Ford motor company.

I think the partnership was dissolved a few years ago. Probably just old inventory catching up.

How true it is and actually Nissan sold 175,740 units more, or 2.58 times more, of Rogues than CX-5s in 2015! The VP of Nissan U.S. sales will get a biggest bonus check he'd ever got! The Rogue is Nissan's second-best selling model in the U.S., just after the Altima, and it's made right here in Tennessee. Nissan Rogue is the automotive industrys unsung hero as in 2015, U.S. sales were 287,190, up a whopping 44.17% over 2014! Here are the sales figures of top-four compact CUVs in the U.S. since 2013 when Mazda started to sell CX-5 in the U.S.:

Personally we didn't consider the Nissan Rogue when we purchased our CX-5 is because Rogue has CVT. But there must be something special for Nissan Rogue to attract so many new customers in a record pace since its redesign in 2014! Nissan definitely hit a homerun on Rogue!

Yup, new Rogues are all over the roads here in Maine.... must be selling like hot-cakes. They don't look too bad on the outside, but with Nissan's somewhat poor reliability record, coupled with a boring CVT, I had zero interest in even taking a test drive.

Back