Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BMW X3 and CX-5

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD

I think its a credit to Mazda that people seriously cross-shop their vehicles with much more expensive luxury brands. Light on amenities, but strong on design and engineering. I wonder how many people do the same of Hyundai with BMW or Lexus?

It all reminds me of Honda from the 80s and 90s.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    I think its a credit to Mazda that people seriously cross-shop their vehicles with much more expensive luxury brands. Light on amenities, but strong on design and engineering. I wonder how many people do the same of Hyundai with BMW or Lexus?

It all reminds me of Honda from the 80s and 90s.
    Excellent points! I can relate because I purchased a CX-5 although I could afford to buy any car I wanted. And I really do love the way it drives!

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Lbear View Post
    The BMW 8 speed works great. NO shifting or gear issues.

BMW's are always pushing technology and therefore some designs don't have the reliability history. Some designs are bullet proof while others end up having issues.

No doubt the BMW is the "ultimate driving machine" for the most part. They are built for luxury and Autobahn speeds. Being a luxury vehicle parts and repair are top dollar.

Comparing a luxury BMW X3/X5 to a CX5 is a little unfair as CX5 is not a luxury based vehicle. It's like comparing a Mazda 6 to a BMW 3 or 5 series sedan.
    To me, these 8 and 9 speed transmissions are overkill. Not shifting issues, just to many shifts. Not necessary. Complication just because they can eke out another MPG on the EPA cycle.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage07 View Post
    Based on what, your personal experience? The OP is looking for people that have owned an X3 not subjective opinions. I have 108,000 on my 2011 328 sedan and it has never been in the shop for anything other than oil changes, tires, and front brakes. The front brakes were no more expensive than the rear brakes I paid for at the Mazda dealer. I have driven 8 speed newer models and had no issue with the car finding the right gear.
    Most modern cars are relatively reliable. BMW's aren't at the top of the list. I have heard many recommend the 3 year lease and walk away. My one BMW was pretty reliable but still did not make me want another. My friends with BMW's are usually complaining about repairs. Not dead on the side of the road repairs but expensive repairs of things like power window motors and other electrical stuff. I didn't say the transmission wouldn't find the "right gear". Just that 8 or more speeds in the transmission of a 140 to 150mph car is complication for no good reason. German engineering = showing off their ability to make things complicated without regard to the poor guy who has to pay for repairs.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by bmninada View Post
    That and 1 thing I forgot: X3 at 85 feels like 55, rock solid. I had a feeling - the faster I go, more CROUCHED the X3 gets, as if super glue is being sprayed on to the tires.....
    unno about CX-5. Just crossed 2000 miles so might attempt a +80. But in NJ: LOL!!
    My CX-5 runs down the road at 80 to 85 just fine. Not a lot of acceleration left but tracking true and feeling quite stuck down to the road. A brief run up to 100 didn't feel bad either. BTW, Bimmers have fat tires because people think it looks bad-ass (it does until you have to fork over the replacement cost)

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $40
    CX-3, CX-5 & CX-9 Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

The tune is great for high rpm power. Drop 3rd above 60 (before 80) and you get good power up 6k.. Not much unlike driving in first. 4th gear passing above 8p is also pretty good. Considering I have 20" wheels too I'd say others would enjoy more. Well I also have a higher flow intake and exhaust but still. It's worth it. You absolutely have to control shifts especially 3rd gear to get the most from this car. Also to get best cornering if you have AWD. Otherwise the car will be trying to accelrate in 4th a highway speeds when 3rd would yield better rests.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by rwortman View Post
    Most modern cars are relatively reliable. BMW's aren't at the top of the list. I have heard many recommend the 3 year lease and walk away. My one BMW was pretty reliable but still did not make me want another. My friends with BMW's are usually complaining about repairs. Not dead on the side of the road repairs but expensive repairs of things like power window motors and other electrical stuff. I didn't say the transmission wouldn't find the "right gear". Just that 8 or more speeds in the transmission of a 140 to 150mph car is complication for no good reason. German engineering = showing off their ability to make things complicated without regard to the poor guy who has to pay for repairs.
    Behold, this Mercedes cupholder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFAO1Nr7q0

I wonder how many engineers worked on it.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by craigo View Post
    Behold, this Mercedes cupholder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFAO1Nr7q0

I wonder how many engineers worked on it.
    How many Mercedes engineers does it take to design a cupholder?

Only three. One to do the design and two to write the operating manual.

Last edited by MikeM.; 01-28-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Lol Mike. Don't forget the service manual, written in Germlish, a hybrid language where the words are English but the sentence structure is German and the result can be very confusing.

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

2011 BMW 528i & 2015 Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by piotrek91 View Post
    I've never driven an X3, or a 2.5L AWD CX-5 or any BMW for that matter.

I frequently drive my 2013 CX-5 on very narrow, windy, bumpy roads with poor pavement and I cannot imagine having more fun in any other car. The suspension, for my style of driving is simply perfect and I wouldn't change a thing.

First of, the BMW is HEAVY. Over 1100lbs heavier than my CX-5 and 650lbs heavier than the 2.5L AWD.
    4300lbs for the 2015 x3 xdrive-28d vs 3550 for the 2016 CX-5 vs 3120 for the 2013 6MT.

A lot of the enjoyment of driving comes from feeling connected to the road.
    One way to feel that connection is by feeling and hearing the changes in pavement, hearing each pothole, puddle or patch of ice and hearing the rubber grip the road.
    In the CX-5 I get plenty of that NVH (too much according to my wife and most on this forum), but in all of the more "refined" cars that I've driven I do not get that connection and I bet the BMW is the same.

The X3 its certainly going to be much more comfortable and quiet on road trips, but simply because it is heavy and quiet I cannot imagine it being as fun to drive as my CX-5.
    wow, what a statement. I strongly urge that you try a Mazda 6.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Ok, time to add some fuel to the fire.

I feel like I'm uniquely positioned to offer an opinion here. I actually bought a used 2008 X3 about 3 years ago at 100K miles and put 50k miles on it. Just recently I took it to a dealer to do the airbag recall and a reprogram/diagnosis for a nagging issue (last ditch effort to diagnose before deciding if I wanted to ditch the car) during which time I was given a loaner car for 4 days which happened to be a 2017 X3 with the twin turbo 4-cylinder. Shortly after weighing my options with the aging X3, I ended up trading it in for the 2014 CX-5 GT.

I am a person who does pretty much all of my work myself. Basically the only thing I can't do is tires, alignment, and A/C work. I can make a car last a very long while. I've retired two cars at around 200K miles that actually had plenty of life left and have also owned and maintained several motorcycles. But I had reached my limit with the X3. I got to a point where I owed some money on it and was looking at about $3K in parts just to get it back up to snuff for the long haul. And that would be providing no other major malfunctions after those repairs. And this is after putting about $2K in parts into it about a year ago. I was just not looking forward to holding on to it long term. But I LOVED that car. The inline 6 was so smooth and just plenty of power at any given point. It needed struts and shocks pretty badly, but otherwise steering, etc. was awesome.

For my next car, I prioritized reliability. I wanted to buy something that basically needed fluids, brake pads, belts, and maybe the odd starter, battery, water pump, etc. in a roughly 5-10 year span. Oddly enough, due to BMW's fast depreciation, the dealer I was working with had a 2013 X3 (nearly identical to the '17 I drove) with the inline 6 and something like 35K miles which was only a grand more than my 2014 CX-5 GT with 45K miles. So for an initial purchase, I was really looking at the same outright cost. But having done the BMW thing already, I knew I'd be potentially looking at some major repairs at 100K and above. With the CX-5, I didn't feel the same potential burden.

Having driven the '17 X3 and my '14 CX-5 nearly back to back, the ONLY thing I feel like I'm giving up with the Mazda is power. However, it still has enough power for what I need and hitting the gas pedal still provides plenty of fun. And yes, the X3 is quieter overall, but I don't find the CX-5 to be loud. Steering and handling is awesome. Brakes are great and have a progressive feel to me. Comfort is as good or better. I live in Texas, so things like a heated steering wheel are not a make/break decision for me. But even with the cool mornings we just got, the auto climate control is very good and I even kicked on the seat warmer for kicks when it was 45 degrees one morning.

But let me be perfectly honest: If I made twice what I do and money was seriously no object, I would probably do the BMW 3 year lease and then move to the next BMW. I freaking love those cars. But for me and my budget/lifestyle of doing my own maintenance, I can sacrifice a chunk of power for reliability, especially when I am getting a great handling car with leather seats and enough tech to keep me happy.

And one small thing: I know we're in the engine and transmission section, but the loaner X3 had the upgraded sound system that sounded TERRIBLE to me. Thankfully, it did have a 7-band equalizer that I played with a bit, but the stock settings were very mid-heavy and it sounded like the only sound source was in the dash. The Bose in the CX-5 sounds much better to me at flat stock settings, but I did dial the fade to the back a bit as anything with speakers in the dash is going to sound front heavy.
    Last edited by Johnny Danger; 10-12-2017 at 01:09 PM.

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by rwortman View Post
    To me, these 8 and 9 speed transmissions are overkill. Not shifting issues, just to many shifts. Not necessary. Complication just because they can eke out another MPG on the EPA cycle.
    an 8 speed, when tuned right makes the most out of a torquey engine. the shorter first gear, longer top gear and last 3 Gears being overdrives do help improve effciciency, but the closely spaced ratios really help make the most out of your engine in terms of performance as well. based on what you've said, i doubt you have driven an 8 speed BMW before.

BMW & Mazda Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
    Ok, time to add some fuel to the fire.

I feel like I'm uniquely positioned to offer an opinion here. I actually bought a used 2008 X3 about 3 years ago at 100K miles and put 50k miles on it. Just recently I took it to a dealer to do the airbag recall and a reprogram/diagnosis for a nagging issue (last ditch effort to diagnose before deciding if I wanted to ditch the car) during which time I was given a loaner car for 4 days which happened to be a 2017 X3 with the twin turbo 4-cylinder. Shortly after weighing my options with the aging X3, I ended up trading it in for the 2014 CX-5 GT.

I am a person who does pretty much all of my work myself. Basically the only thing I can't do is tires, alignment, and A/C work. I can make a car last a very long while. I've retired two cars at around 200K miles that actually had plenty of life left and have also owned and maintained several motorcycles. But I had reached my limit with the X3. I got to a point where I owed some money on it and was looking at about $3K in parts just to get it back up to snuff for the long haul. And that would be providing no other major malfunctions after those repairs. And this is after putting about $2K in parts into it about a year ago. I was just not looking forward to holding on to it long term. But I LOVED that car. The inline 6 was so smooth and just plenty of power at any given point. It needed struts and shocks pretty badly, but otherwise steering, etc. was awesome.

For my next car, I prioritized reliability. I wanted to buy something that basically needed fluids, brake pads, belts, and maybe the odd starter, battery, water pump, etc. in a roughly 5-10 year span. Oddly enough, due to BMW's fast depreciation, the dealer I was working with had a 2013 X3 (nearly identical to the '17 I drove) with the inline 6 and something like 35K miles which was only a grand more than my 2014 CX-5 GT with 45K miles. So for an initial purchase, I was really looking at the same outright cost. But having done the BMW thing already, I knew I'd be potentially looking at some major repairs at 100K and above. With the CX-5, I didn't feel the same potential burden.

Having driven the '17 X3 and my '14 CX-5 nearly back to back, the ONLY thing I feel like I'm giving up with the Mazda is power. However, it still has enough power for what I need and hitting the gas pedal still provides plenty of fun. And yes, the X3 is quieter overall, but I don't find the CX-5 to be loud. Steering and handling is awesome. Brakes are great and have a progressive feel to me. Comfort is as good or better. I live in Texas, so things like a heated steering wheel are not a make/break decision for me. But even with the cool mornings we just got, the auto climate control is very good and I even kicked on the seat warmer for kicks when it was 45 degrees one morning.

But let me be perfectly honest: If I made twice what I do and money was seriously no object, I would probably do the BMW 3 year lease and then move to the next BMW. I freaking love those cars. But for me and my budget/lifestyle of doing my own maintenance, I can sacrifice a chunk of power for reliability, especially when I am getting a great handling car with leather seats and enough tech to keep me happy.

And one small thing: I know we're in the engine and transmission section, but the loaner X3 had the upgraded sound system that sounded TERRIBLE to me. Thankfully, it did have a 7-band equalizer that I played with a bit, but the stock settings were very mid-heavy and it sounded like the only sound source was in the dash. The Bose in the CX-5 sounds much better to me at flat stock settings, but I did dial the fade to the back a bit as anything with speakers in the dash is going to sound front heavy.
    The new X3 you drove has a single, twin-scroll turbo. It is not twin turbo.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    The new X3 you drove has a single, twin-scroll turbo. It is not twin turbo.
    Right you are. I just remember popping the hood up and seeing the words "twin" and "turbo" but a quick google image search shows me that it actually said "TwinPower Turbo."

Registered Member

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Mazda has benchmarked the CX-5 against the X3 and Q5, so it is not surprising that it is competitive minus the engine performance. I really think Mazda can build a X3 competitor that is affordable, if they can put the 2.5T engine into the CX-5.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123