BMW X3 and CX-5

The BMW has more horsepower. For me that is the only thing in it's favor. It is too expensive to buy, too expensive to fix, too heavy, and not that reliable. 8 speeds in the transmission of a vehicle that can maybe do 145'ish if the governor wasn't there is about 2 too many. Driving it in manual mode would have you shifting all the time. It's all about maxing out the EPA mileage cycle and overkill for actual driving.

Based on what, your personal experience? The OP is looking for people that have owned an X3 not subjective opinions. I have 108,000 on my 2011 328 sedan and it has never been in the shop for anything other than oil changes, tires, and front brakes. The front brakes were no more expensive than the rear brakes I paid for at the Mazda dealer. I have driven 8 speed newer models and had no issue with the car finding the right gear.

That and 1 thing I forgot: X3 at 85 feels like 55, rock solid. I had a feeling - the faster I go, more CROUCHED the X3 gets, as if super glue is being sprayed on to the tires.....
unno about CX-5. Just crossed 2000 miles so might attempt a +80. But in NJ: LOL!!

Very true I have driven 130 MPH in my 328 on an open highway which I will not disclose in NJ lol, and it feels like your doing 55. I have done 100 in the CX5, but you know your doing a 100! This is not an endorsement of driving this fast, I just had safe conditions for my comparisons. The only reason to own a faster CUV than the CX5 is merging or passing without fear that you won't make it under safe conditions. If they drop the 2.5 turbo in the next generation I would purchase another in a heartbeat. It's a great vehicle for 30k, the challenge is there are many vehicles in the same price range that offer more amenities, but the CX5 in my opinion blows away any other CUV with impeccable looks, handling, and steering in its price range.

Based on what, your personal experience? The OP is looking for people that have owned an X3 not subjective opinions. I have 108,000 on my 2011 328 sedan and it has never been in the shop for anything other than oil changes, tires, and front brakes. The front brakes were no more expensive than the rear brakes I paid for at the Mazda dealer. I have driven 8 speed newer models and had no issue with the car finding the right gear.

The BMW 8 speed works great. NO shifting or gear issues.

BMW's are always pushing technology and therefore some designs don't have the reliability history. Some designs are bullet proof while others end up having issues.

No doubt the BMW is the "ultimate driving machine" for the most part. They are built for luxury and Autobahn speeds. Being a luxury vehicle parts and repair are top dollar.

Comparing a luxury BMW X3/X5 to a CX5 is a little unfair as CX5 is not a luxury based vehicle. It's like comparing a Mazda 6 to a BMW 3 or 5 series sedan.

Very true I have driven 130 MPH in my 328 on an open highway which I will not disclose in NJ lol, and it feels like your doing 55. I have done 100 in the CX5, but you know your doing a 100! This is not an endorsement of driving this fast, I just had safe conditions for my comparisons. The only reason to own a faster CUV than the CX5 is merging or passing without fear that you won't make it under safe conditions. If they drop the 2.5 turbo in the next generation I would purchase another in a heartbeat. It's a great vehicle for 30k, the challenge is there are many vehicles in the same price range that offer more amenities, but the CX5 in my opinion blows away any other CUV with impeccable looks, handling, and steering in its price range.
You can get a tune for ~$300, totally worth.

That and 1 thing I forgot: X3 at 85 feels like 55, rock solid. I had a feeling - the faster I go, more CROUCHED the X3 gets, as if super glue is being sprayed on to the tires.....
unno about CX-5. Just crossed 2000 miles so might attempt a +80. But in NJ: LOL!!

The X3 also comes with wheels up to 9.5" wide, and performance oriented rubber, while the cx-5 comes with 7.5" max, and MPG tires. If you change the pizza cutters from a stock CX-5 with wider (not heavy) wheels, and stickier rubber that alone will make a big difference. Also the x3's have a lower offset range from factory on their wheels so they aren't as close in the fender. I'd say the x3 is more "sport" performance oriented all around OEM, where the cx-5 is mostly MPG oriented.

I may be a bit biased because I no longer drive a monster truck cx-5 but I have no control worries at triple digit even.

The X3 also comes with wheels up to 9.5" wide, and performance oriented rubber, while the cx-5 comes with 7.5" max, and MPG tires.

Tire contact patch is generally proportional to vehicle weight for obvious reasons. Assuming similar tire diameter, this makes the design tire width roughly proportional to vehicle weight.

According to Car and Driver Buyers Guide, all four trim levels of the 2016 BMW X3 come standard with the same size tires and wheels. 18"x8" wheels and 245/55/18 tires. All CX-5's come with 225mm wide tires. The average weight of the BMW's is about 4200 pounds while the CX-5 averages about 3450.

So the X3 is about 22% heavier while it's tires are less than 9% wider.

This confirms what I have intuitively guessed, the CX-5 has a bigger contact patch/weight ratio vs. other cars of similar utility. I've noticed that it tends to hydroplane during periods of heavy rain considerably easier (at lower speeds) than other similar vehicles. So if the BMW tires lean towards dry pavement/track performance, I guess the CX-5 rubber is on the sportier side of that! Another way to look at it is the CX-5 has more flotation on soft surfaces like sand or soft ground.

Perhaps BMW offers wider tires for people with special needs (or who think a wider tire "looks" better) over balanced performance but I'm pretty sure BMW chose the standard size based on all around safety and performance in the most commonly encountered conditions. I know a narrower tire than the 225/65/17's I have in both summer and winter would offer me a number of advantages but I don't want to give up the flotation of a wider tire because I often encounter situations in the backcountry where I need the extra flotation.

Last edited:
I am an owner of a 2011 328xi with 109,000 trouble free miles. Back in April 2013 I test drove an x3 because I was and am spoiled by my 328, but did not pull the trigger because I already was paying for an expensive car and did not want to pay for another one at the same time. In hindsight I should have bit the bullet and bought the X3. I just don't understand the point of this thread as the CX5 holds its own against the Escape, RAV4, and CRV. Comparing it to a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes shouldn't be in the same sentence. There is a reason why VW has Audi, Toyota has Lexus, and Honda has Acura luxury divisions. Nothing like having extra amenities like a heated steering wheel.

I am an owner of a 2011 328xi with 109,000 trouble free miles. Back in April 2013 I test drove an x3 because I was and am spoiled by my 328, but did not pull the trigger because I already was paying for an expensive car and did not want to pay for another one at the same time. In hindsight I should have bit the bullet and bought the X3. I just don't understand the point of this thread as the CX5 holds its own against the Escape, RAV4, and CRV. Comparing it to a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes shouldn't be in the same sentence. There is a reason why VW has Audi, Toyota has Lexus, and Honda has Acura luxury divisions. Nothing like having extra amenities like a heated steering wheel.

I agree... unless Mazda wants to resurrect their attempt at a luxury line (Amati) not an equal comparison.

Amati.jpg

I agree... unless Mazda wants to resurrect their attempt at a luxury line (Amati) not an equal comparison.

True, they are a different class of vehicle aimed at buyers with different preferences.

I put more emphasis on actual performance (though not so much acceleration) and driving experience. The Mazda, even though outclassed in many areas in terms of luxury, cabin noise levels, etc. wins for me simply because it handles snowy corners much more securely. The BMW is too heavy and does not provide as much driver feedback. The CX-5 is also lighter and more nimble feeling in tight maneuvers on bare pavement.

They're all unfair comparisons . . . and also fair comparisons, depending who is comparing for what purpose.

A CX-5 is a smaller CUV as is a BMW X-3. One costs 60% more than the other, so a straight A-->B comparison of objective criteria that can be measured - dimensions, braking, acceleration, skidpad, slalom, etc. is likely to benefit the BMW. But there are other issues such as road feel and value per dollar that depend on the preferences of the tester. Somebody who prefers his BMW X-3 to my Mazda CX-5 is right for him, just as my preference for the CX-5 is right for me. I don't know why I would spend time trying to tell others they should adopt my preferences so they'd choose what I did. Frankly, I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on the BMW because for me, the marginal improvement in performance isn't worth the marginal cost.

It's just like with stereo speakers. You get fairly good sound at a certain price point - say $500 per side - and you'll get better sound as you go up the price ladder. But each additional $250 you add to the total price provides less and less improvement over the last level. Find the level that satisfies the combination of your ears, your taste and your bank account, and stop there. I'd never argue that the CX-5 is quieter than an X-3 nor that it will out-accelerate the Bimmer. But I'll certainly argue that I don't want to pay the extra $$ to buy it or the additional cost per service to maintain it.

I think its a credit to Mazda that people seriously cross-shop their vehicles with much more expensive luxury brands. Light on amenities, but strong on design and engineering. I wonder how many people do the same of Hyundai with BMW or Lexus?

It all reminds me of Honda from the 80s and 90s.

I think its a credit to Mazda that people seriously cross-shop their vehicles with much more expensive luxury brands. Light on amenities, but strong on design and engineering. I wonder how many people do the same of Hyundai with BMW or Lexus?

It all reminds me of Honda from the 80s and 90s.

Excellent points! I can relate because I purchased a CX-5 although I could afford to buy any car I wanted. And I really do love the way it drives!

The BMW 8 speed works great. NO shifting or gear issues.

BMW's are always pushing technology and therefore some designs don't have the reliability history. Some designs are bullet proof while others end up having issues.

No doubt the BMW is the "ultimate driving machine" for the most part. They are built for luxury and Autobahn speeds. Being a luxury vehicle parts and repair are top dollar.

Comparing a luxury BMW X3/X5 to a CX5 is a little unfair as CX5 is not a luxury based vehicle. It's like comparing a Mazda 6 to a BMW 3 or 5 series sedan.

To me, these 8 and 9 speed transmissions are overkill. Not shifting issues, just to many shifts. Not necessary. Complication just because they can eke out another MPG on the EPA cycle.

Most modern cars are relatively reliable. BMW's aren't at the top of the list. I have heard many recommend the 3 year lease and walk away. My one BMW was pretty reliable but still did not make me want another. My friends with BMW's are usually complaining about repairs. Not dead on the side of the road repairs but expensive repairs of things like power window motors and other electrical stuff. I didn't say the transmission wouldn't find the "right gear". Just that 8 or more speeds in the transmission of a 140 to 150mph car is complication for no good reason. German engineering = showing off their ability to make things complicated without regard to the poor guy who has to pay for repairs.

My CX-5 runs down the road at 80 to 85 just fine. Not a lot of acceleration left but tracking true and feeling quite stuck down to the road. A brief run up to 100 didn't feel bad either. BTW, Bimmers have fat tires because people think it looks bad-ass (it does until you have to fork over the replacement cost)

The tune is great for high rpm power. Drop 3rd above 60 (before 80) and you get good power up 6k.. Not much unlike driving in first. 4th gear passing above 8p is also pretty good. Considering I have 20" wheels too I'd say others would enjoy more. Well I also have a higher flow intake and exhaust but still. It's worth it. You absolutely have to control shifts especially 3rd gear to get the most from this car. Also to get best cornering if you have AWD. Otherwise the car will be trying to accelrate in 4th a highway speeds when 3rd would yield better rests.

Most modern cars are relatively reliable. BMW's aren't at the top of the list. I have heard many recommend the 3 year lease and walk away. My one BMW was pretty reliable but still did not make me want another. My friends with BMW's are usually complaining about repairs. Not dead on the side of the road repairs but expensive repairs of things like power window motors and other electrical stuff. I didn't say the transmission wouldn't find the "right gear". Just that 8 or more speeds in the transmission of a 140 to 150mph car is complication for no good reason. German engineering = showing off their ability to make things complicated without regard to the poor guy who has to pay for repairs.

Behold, this Mercedes cupholder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKFAO1Nr7q0

I wonder how many engineers worked on it.

Lol Mike. Don't forget the service manual, written in Germlish, a hybrid language where the words are English but the sentence structure is German and the result can be very confusing. (yes)

I've never driven an X3, or a 2.5L AWD CX-5 or any BMW for that matter.

I frequently drive my 2013 CX-5 on very narrow, windy, bumpy roads with poor pavement and I cannot imagine having more fun in any other car. The suspension, for my style of driving is simply perfect and I wouldn't change a thing.

First of, the BMW is HEAVY. Over 1100lbs heavier than my CX-5 and 650lbs heavier than the 2.5L AWD.
4300lbs for the 2015 x3 xdrive-28d vs 3550 for the 2016 CX-5 vs 3120 for the 2013 6MT.

A lot of the enjoyment of driving comes from feeling connected to the road.
One way to feel that connection is by feeling and hearing the changes in pavement, hearing each pothole, puddle or patch of ice and hearing the rubber grip the road.
In the CX-5 I get plenty of that NVH (too much according to my wife and most on this forum), but in all of the more "refined" cars that I've driven I do not get that connection and I bet the BMW is the same.

The X3 its certainly going to be much more comfortable and quiet on road trips, but simply because it is heavy and quiet I cannot imagine it being as fun to drive as my CX-5.

wow, what a statement. I strongly urge that you try a Mazda 6.

Back