brakes squeak loud in cold weater cold start up

ssl1900

:
-
Hi. my 2016 cx-5 in the summer and fall, the brakes had never squeaked. Also during the winter on warm days they doesn't squeak. Although it seems once it gets cold out, my brakes squeak pretty loud after starting up my car in the cold weather when applying the brakes for the first 5 minutes or so and no more noise after. When I had brought in my cx-5 for an oil change and mentioned this issue, the service rep said that this is common with a lot of new cars of all makes, that once the brakes are initially applied the noise goes away.

My question is, is this squeak actually common with Mazda and/or other manufactures new cars?

I have the same issue but we were experiencing it over the summer months as well. My car sat at the dealer overnight and they couldn't figure it out.

My question is, is this squeak actually common with Mazda and/or other manufactures new cars?

My CX-5 has never had squeaky brakes in three years but, your dealer is right, it's not an uncommon problem. The typical fix is to smear a little anti-squeak compound on the back of the pads. Or so I've heard. Apparently this stops the high frequency vibration (the squeak) from starting in the first place.

I don't know what kind of pad material Mazda uses, but it used to be common with ceramic material pads, squeaking until the material got warmed up in colder climates. Never experienced on this vehicle myself.

My 2016 hasn't had any squeaking yet. This morning temps (-12C, 10F) were a bit chilly, but no sign of anything to & from work. It sits in an attached garage every night though.

Back