Smart card question for a newbie owner.

FinallyCX-9

:
Mazda 2009 CX-9
I have just purchased a 2009 GT. The car has the smart card system installed. Problem is I do not have a smart card only a regular key that was manufactured by the seller. It works but I have to manually open the door and start the car with out the smart key knob.

I ordered a smart key card with the 4 buttons. I planned on bringing it into Mazda or having a local auto lock smith program.

After looking through this forum it appears that if I do not have any smart card keys at all I will need a new ECU system installed as well and this will cost much more.

Can someone please confirm this. My husband was not keen on spending even the $300 to get one smart card working. I have 3 young girls, a Baby and toddler included so not having power unlock is going to be a challenge. He thinks we should just do it the old fashioned way, but I see that nice sensor and would much rather have touch unlock/lock. If I do need the ECU thing as well is there a cheap way to attain it. We can't spend over $800 just so I can auto unlock the car.

The power lift gate is malfunctioning, only goes up halfway then beeps and comes down. I might have it fixed if it's cheap, but no sense if I can't get a proper working smart key.

Other than that we love the car. I've had my eye on them forever. We have a Mazda3 GT for 9 years that we used for our first and second girls. My husband still drives it to work everyday. It's going to be great to have all the room and extra seats.

Last edited:
"it appears that if I do not have any smart card keys at all I will need a new ECU system"

not sure if this is true, I'm almost certain all Mazda dealers must have access to a database with VIN numbers
and the ECU smart key codes specific to those VIN numbers to program new keys for customers that lost their original keys.
or they must have a scanner that can pull the ECU's communication ID registration code to program new keys.
I would suggest going to local dealer first and just ask, you'll have nothing to lose and shouldn't cost anything just to ask and see if there is such a database.

offtopic: to program a spare smart key, you MUST have two working smart keys to program it by yourself. If you only have one smart key, you must go to the dealer to get a second spare key. Then once you have two, it's very easy to program the third one yourself. instructions in this link : http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123699361-Can-I-program-a-Smart-Key-myself

for the power liftgate issue, sounds like there's an obstruction preventing it from opening up fully, my powerlift gate beeps also if it have my hand there on purpose the built in sensor senses the resistance and you hear a beep sound and the liftgate stops. May be worth it and save some money and try fixing yourself, take out the plastic covers and just check for any loose obstructions in the power liftgate linkages.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back