Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cody's Blazing Yellow MSP

Registered Member

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    I remember those! Cool cars.

I was like MR2? no....Fiero? No...NSX? Maybe but the wheels look wrong...Ferrari? No way... hmmm

Good job on the MSP, by the way. It's nice to see someone buy one and NOT treat it like a turd by dump-n-flushing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie chan View Post
    The speed looks great. Very nice. And I've never heard the turd analogy before. I like it haha.
    Hahaha thanks guys! And yeah, the Lotus is definitely an odd car. Supposedly, there were less than 600 that came to North America.
    2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - 244k miles on chassis
    1991 BMW 318is - 270k miles - Project car

(-_-) ...zZzzZzZZ

Since you're an e30 addict tell me more about them lol. Are they reliable and easy to work on? What kind of quirks do they have? I've always liked those old bmws
    03 MSP, 03 P5

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Since you're an e30 addict tell me more about them lol. Are they reliable and easy to work on? What kind of quirks do they have? I've always liked those old bmws
    Where to start?....lol. They are pretty easy to work on. Probably not as easy as a Protege but definitely better than working on any newer BMW. They are very reliable as long as maintenance is kept up. Mine has broken down a few times but that mostly has to do with mileage and things wearing out (fuel pump, voltage regulator/alternator, cooling system).

Things to look out for are RUST! My southern car has no rust but be careful with any car from up north. Also common are broken odometer gears, bad gauge clusters, cracked dashes, etc.

Mine has been solid over the last 6 years I've had it. I've got several things going on with it at the moment. Right now I'm converting the A/C to r134a and then hopefully paint prep.

Prices are on the rise so get one while you can!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

Nice work man, as far as the clutch goes you may have other issues going on. Have you bled the fluid recently? I have a Spec Stage 2+ in my MSP and it feels the same as the stock clutch in terms of pedal effort.
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14

2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609 View Post
    Nice work man, as far as the clutch goes you may have other issues going on. Have you bled the fluid recently? I have a Spec Stage 2+ in my MSP and it feels the same as the stock clutch in terms of pedal effort.
    Thank you! Hmm, wouldn't old fluid and/or air in the system make the pedal softer, not harder?

Wow, so the msp clutch and stage 2+ are similar? The only thing I can compare it to is my dad's P5. The clutch is sooo much easier to push in on that car. But I do realize that the standard protégés and the MSP came with different clutches.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Well, I've been having some cooling system problems lately. Came home from work one day after hitting some twisty back roads and noticed coolant was pouring on the ground from the overflow. Later found that my radiator cap was bad. I replaced that and saw a tiny leak from the top plastic part of the radiator and also the overflow was empty. So, today I replaced that with a brand new OE style Nissens. Went around the block and popped the hood and quickly found that my radiator was not the main source of the leak. One of the heater hoses had a hole and was squirting coolant on one of the turbo pipes. So, I've got both hoses ordered to replace. Until then, she sits at home...

Registered Member

I restored my headlights today with the Meguiars G3000 kit. I'm very happy with the results. Hopefully they don't fade too quickly.

Pro5

Oooh, looks good.

As far as the clutch pedal goes, one of my MSPs has a much lighter pedal than the other. I installed a braided clutch line in the car with the spec clutch and it is still lighter than my other car with the stock clutch. The Spec is about the same as stock with the pedal feel but it is much 'grabbier' when it engages.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609 View Post
    As far as the clutch pedal goes, one of my MSPs has a much lighter pedal than the other. I installed a braided clutch line in the car with the spec clutch and it is still lighter than my other car with the stock clutch. The Spec is about the same as stock with the pedal feel but it is much 'grabbier' when it engages.
    Interesting, I guess I'll leave it as is then. The more I drive the car, the less it bothers me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie chan View Post
    Oooh, looks good.
    Thanks!

Registered Member

I've officially had the car for over a year and 10,000 miles. I bought it the day after Thanksgiving last year. Not much to update on. I did replace my rear strut mounts and spring pads last month and I got new Firestone tires for the front. The squeaking sounds went away for the most part but now the suspension has started to squeak again over bumps and has sort of a knocking noise while driving. I did the sway bar bushings and end links when I got the car. I'm not sure what else could be making the noise or how to prevent it but I'm not too concerned at the moment. I may get underneath and spray some white lithium grease on the strut mount.

Otherwise, I've been driving it a lot to work and enjoying it. Here's a picture I took today... I really need to get out the nice camera lol.

Last edited by e30addict; 12-10-2016 at 03:30 PM.

(-_-) ...zZzzZzZZ

i would check if the endlinks are loose again. sometimes they just need to be tightened again. you could also check this fix out on posts 53, 54, 55 (check attachments)

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    i would check if the endlinks are loose again. sometimes they just need to be tightened again. you could also check this fix out on posts 53, 54, 55 (check attachments)
    I raised the car up and pulled on the endlinks. They seemed tight. But, I did notice that it seems as if the subframe/lateral links are what is making the noise. It creaked pretty bad when I raised and lowered the car with the jack. Maybe the bushings are shot. I will investigate more tomorrow. Also, I don't see any attachments in your post.

And, I was checking some things under the hood and it looks like my new radiator (bought in August) is leaking. It appears to be leaking around the seams where the plastic meets the aluminum on top. Kinda pissed about that...
    Last edited by e30addict; 12-11-2016 at 09:28 AM.

The Mishimoto aluminum radiators are on sale, or were recently for $155. You would have to upgrade to a front mount though, which is completely worth it. For the suspension noise I would double check the nut that secures the strut mount to the spring/strut. It is difficult to get them tight, I used a spring compressor and tightened it around the odd shaped washer to keep it still and it allowed me to tighten the nut. I had a knocking noise when I installed lowering springs and tightening that nut more made it go away.

(-_-) ...zZzzZzZZ

oh yeah i forgot about that. if you have an impact, that helps as you'll see the nut tighten down more.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast