Cody's Blazing Yellow MSP

That grill looks like an Erebuni... Basically some knockoff aero company that I'm not even sure if they're still in business. Hopefully not, the industry could do without.

I replaced the diff a couple years back with another new stock diff, it didn't fail but the reverse lockout broke and chipped a tooth on the ring gear so it made a whining sound. Aside from replacing 3rd gear and the synchros about 18 months ago and a spec stage2+ clutch the trans will be stock. Not going to be running that much power every day but I can easily turn the boost up with my EBC when I want to. The stock turbo is going to limit how much power the car will make.

Congrats and welcome, I also recently got myself into a Blazing Yellow MSP. Upgrading from a 2001 Protege ES. Mine isn't in as good of shape as yours though. I have lots to do to fix the previous owners half added maintenance and repairs.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Time for updates!

I've gotten a few projects completed on the Mazda since March...

Windows re-tinted to 35%
Clay barred and waxed entire car
Valve cover painted and Hydra VC hardware kit installed
AWR deep sump oil pan installed
Oil changed
AWR poly rear sway bar bushings installed
Rear wheel bearings replaced
minty junkyard Protege5 steering wheel installed

I replaced the rear sway bar bushings and that didn't do anything to solve my squeaking noise in the back. So, next on the list is to do the rear strut mounts and spring pads. Also, replacing the rear wheel bearings got rid of a lot of noise. The previous owner said the rear wheel bearings were original to the car (eek2)

Overall, I'm loving this car. It's a great car for daily driving. My only real complaint is the spec stage 2+ clutch that the previous owner installed. The hard clutch pedal gets a little old in traffic. Has anyone gone from a factory clutch to a stage 2+ ? I'd love to hear how they compare as I may go back to an OE clutch.

ff3b21da5ef30268ee270dc85a11f019.jpg
9e648617e55c70cb769b94d24acaba12.jpg
a3b8e4697171ff975cbe0ee7bbe422eb.jpg
27588cff550f1522cfdaf783f189c919.jpg
5c2e981710a31e18ace61272e8152fd7.jpg
c60c58170bbdb27caa5eb1ecc3fe176c.jpg

Last edited:
Also lowered my e30 a bit more. It's riding on H&R race springs now.

a58a6724a4be2192421bcb02c823521c.jpg
cf0c51b3ae576b8451777a7efc44949e.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I remember those! Cool cars.

I was like MR2? no....Fiero? No...NSX? Maybe but the wheels look wrong...Ferrari? No way... hmmm (uhm)

Good job on the MSP, by the way. It's nice to see someone buy one and NOT treat it like a turd by dump-n-flushing it.

Last edited:
I remember those! Cool cars.

I was like MR2? no....Fiero? No...NSX? Maybe but the wheels look wrong...Ferrari? No way... hmmm (uhm)

Good job on the MSP, by the way. It's nice to see someone buy one and NOT treat it like a turd by dump-n-flushing it.

The speed looks great. Very nice. And I've never heard the turd analogy before. I like it haha.

Hahaha thanks guys! And yeah, the Lotus is definitely an odd car. Supposedly, there were less than 600 that came to North America.

Since you're an e30 addict tell me more about them lol. Are they reliable and easy to work on? What kind of quirks do they have? I've always liked those old bmws

Since you're an e30 addict tell me more about them lol. Are they reliable and easy to work on? What kind of quirks do they have? I've always liked those old bmws

Where to start?....lol. They are pretty easy to work on. Probably not as easy as a Protege but definitely better than working on any newer BMW. They are very reliable as long as maintenance is kept up. Mine has broken down a few times but that mostly has to do with mileage and things wearing out (fuel pump, voltage regulator/alternator, cooling system).

Things to look out for are RUST! My southern car has no rust but be careful with any car from up north. Also common are broken odometer gears, bad gauge clusters, cracked dashes, etc.

Mine has been solid over the last 6 years I've had it. I've got several things going on with it at the moment. Right now I'm converting the A/C to r134a and then hopefully paint prep.

Prices are on the rise so get one while you can!

Nice work man, as far as the clutch goes you may have other issues going on. Have you bled the fluid recently? I have a Spec Stage 2+ in my MSP and it feels the same as the stock clutch in terms of pedal effort.

Nice work man, as far as the clutch goes you may have other issues going on. Have you bled the fluid recently? I have a Spec Stage 2+ in my MSP and it feels the same as the stock clutch in terms of pedal effort.
Thank you! Hmm, wouldn't old fluid and/or air in the system make the pedal softer, not harder?

Wow, so the msp clutch and stage 2+ are similar? The only thing I can compare it to is my dad's P5. The clutch is sooo much easier to push in on that car. But I do realize that the standard protgs and the MSP came with different clutches.

Well, I've been having some cooling system problems lately. Came home from work one day after hitting some twisty back roads and noticed coolant was pouring on the ground from the overflow. Later found that my radiator cap was bad. I replaced that and saw a tiny leak from the top plastic part of the radiator and also the overflow was empty. So, today I replaced that with a brand new OE style Nissens. Went around the block and popped the hood and quickly found that my radiator was not the main source of the leak. One of the heater hoses had a hole and was squirting coolant on one of the turbo pipes. So, I've got both hoses ordered to replace. Until then, she sits at home...

32d285b79838af8f17b0a9a06d41ae6e.jpg
c06f4a194e8cd7efa14747aca67b1491.jpg
be52a7c8bcb2b0bca7349ed06aed1edd.jpg

I restored my headlights today with the Meguiars G3000 kit. I'm very happy with the results. Hopefully they don't fade too quickly.

0bd4b630818a33bb4be6b7bfe2434d51.jpg

As far as the clutch pedal goes, one of my MSPs has a much lighter pedal than the other. I installed a braided clutch line in the car with the spec clutch and it is still lighter than my other car with the stock clutch. The Spec is about the same as stock with the pedal feel but it is much 'grabbier' when it engages.

As far as the clutch pedal goes, one of my MSPs has a much lighter pedal than the other. I installed a braided clutch line in the car with the spec clutch and it is still lighter than my other car with the stock clutch. The Spec is about the same as stock with the pedal feel but it is much 'grabbier' when it engages.
Interesting, I guess I'll leave it as is then. The more I drive the car, the less it bothers me.
Oooh, looks good.
Thanks!

Back