Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cody's Blazing Yellow MSP

Registered Member

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by hornsfan10609 View Post
    I happen to like E36s lol, but I wouldn't want to work on anything German. Especially after these Mazdas that go together like legos.
    The Mazdas are definitely easy to work on!

I actually don't hate e36s. But, of all the 3 series made, most would argue that they were made much more cheaply than other generations. I'd totally rock an e36 m3 though, especially if it was technoviolet.

Donated: $20

'93 RX-7, '91 RX7, '03.5 MSP, '02 P5, '01 Miata, '99 Miata etc

The grill looks like a Mintblue, which is worth about as much as the JDM tails. Rarer though.
    Nice MSP. Looks just like mine! Bone stock since 04 here.
    MSPs make great daily drivers, and they're rare enough that there's a cool factor with em. Kinda like having a 323GTX back in the day. Congrats on the new ride!

That said, my friend had an '89 M3 back when they were new. The MSP is fun, but it cant touch a well sorted 1st gen M3. Let's get off Mazda's leg and be honest here.
    Last edited by Natey; 03-27-2016 at 12:41 PM.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

A close friend has an 02 330ci and a VERY nice carbon black 06 competition package M3 with a few mods and I cannot wait to race him once my forged motor is in. I don't expect to lose
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14

2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    The grill looks like a Mintblue, which is worth about as much as the JDM tails. Rarer though.
    Nice MSP. Looks just like mine! Bone stock since 04 here.
    MSPs make great daily drivers, and they're rare enough that there's a cool factor with em. Kinda like having a 323GTX back in the day. Congrats on the new ride!

That said, my friend had an '89 M3 back when they were new. The MSP is fun, but it cant touch a well sorted 1st gen M3. Let's get off Mazda's leg and be honest here.
    Thanks! Wow, I'm surprised someone on here actually has a stock MSP.

E30 M3s are badass but so expensive!

A close friend has an 02 330ci and a VERY nice carbon black 06 competition package M3 with a few mods and I cannot wait to race him once my forged motor is in. I don't expect to lose
    How much power are you planning to get out of the forged motor?

Previous owner made about 240wheel on only 8psi, would like to be around 300 crank at 14-15psi
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

That grill looks like an Erebuni... Basically some knockoff aero company that I'm not even sure if they're still in business. Hopefully not, the industry could do without.

Registered Member

Previous owner made about 240wheel on only 8psi, would like to be around 300 crank at 14-15psi
    Wow, that would totally transform the car! I can't imagine how fast that would be. Are you upgrading the transmission/diff as well?

I replaced the diff a couple years back with another new stock diff, it didn't fail but the reverse lockout broke and chipped a tooth on the ring gear so it made a whining sound. Aside from replacing 3rd gear and the synchros about 18 months ago and a spec stage2+ clutch the trans will be stock. Not going to be running that much power every day but I can easily turn the boost up with my EBC when I want to. The stock turbo is going to limit how much power the car will make.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2001 Mazda Protege ES

Congrats and welcome, I also recently got myself into a Blazing Yellow MSP. Upgrading from a 2001 Protege ES. Mine isn't in as good of shape as yours though. I have lots to do to fix the previous owners half added maintenance and repairs.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Time for updates!

I've gotten a few projects completed on the Mazda since March...

Windows re-tinted to 35%
    Clay barred and waxed entire car
    Valve cover painted and Hydra VC hardware kit installed
    AWR deep sump oil pan installed
    Oil changed
    AWR poly rear sway bar bushings installed
    Rear wheel bearings replaced
    minty junkyard Protege5 steering wheel installed

I replaced the rear sway bar bushings and that didn't do anything to solve my squeaking noise in the back. So, next on the list is to do the rear strut mounts and spring pads. Also, replacing the rear wheel bearings got rid of a lot of noise. The previous owner said the rear wheel bearings were original to the car

Overall, I'm loving this car. It's a great car for daily driving. My only real complaint is the spec stage 2+ clutch that the previous owner installed. The hard clutch pedal gets a little old in traffic. Has anyone gone from a factory clutch to a stage 2+ ? I'd love to hear how they compare as I may go back to an OE clutch.

Last edited by e30addict; 07-17-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Registered Member

Also lowered my e30 a bit more. It's riding on H&R race springs now.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natey View Post
    Its my father's 1991 Lotus Elan. The only Lotus that was FWD with a turbocharged Isuzu engine.

I remember those! Cool cars.

I was like MR2? no....Fiero? No...NSX? Maybe but the wheels look wrong...Ferrari? No way... hmmm

Good job on the MSP, by the way. It's nice to see someone buy one and NOT treat it like a turd by dump-n-flushing it.
    Last edited by Natey; 07-17-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Pro5

The speed looks great. Very nice. And I've never heard the turd analogy before. I like it haha.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast