VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cody's Blazing Yellow MSP

2002 323 protege

Just take your time and follow the guide, patience and a clean area to lay parts out is the key.

Certified Mazda Tech hornsfan10609's Avatar

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2

It's actually relatively easy to replace the diff. Once you have the trans out you remove the two bolts that hold the gear sets in place on the case, and the bolt with the ball and spring behind it then remove the end cap and two lock nuts on the gear shafts, once you pull the 5th gear sprockets off you can unbolt the case and separate it. Once the case is off you can pull the gear shafts up a bit and rotate/slide the diff out. Not much to it really. Be sure to install new bearings on the new diff and clean up the magnet inside the case. If the trans is original you may want to consider a rebuild or replacing it with a lower mileage unit. You can find a JY trans for anywhere from $100-200 complete. Rebuild kits start around $800.
    Mod List. "Jinba Ittai"

2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1345 Purchased 7/20/10
    2003.5 Titanium Mazdaspeed Protege #1574 Purchased 10/25/14

2009 Highland Green Mustang Bullitt #5998 12.9@110
    2002 Red Protege5 RIP:4/25/10

Registered Member

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Thanks for the input! I hope it really is that easy. I just need to stay organized.

I did get a chance to pull the trans today. Wasn't too bad but I did have a few challenges considering this is the first time I've pulled a trans from a fwd car. Dad was here to help so that was good.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - 244k miles on chassis
    1991 BMW 318is - 270k miles - Project car

Registered Member

I ordered the parts for the LSD install a while ago (bearings, gear shaft nuts, axle seals, input shaft seal, pilot bearing, and new flywheel bolts). The dealership I ordered from was taking FOREVER to ship this stuff. They kept giving me the runaround and making up dates for when they would receive the stuff from Mazda. I finally cancelled my order and ordered the LSD install kit from Crossover Auto Performance. I should have it by tomorrow. I also ordered a new TOB, flywheel bolts, and pilot bearing from ebay and Rockauto as well. I should have everything by the end of this week.

I started pulling the trans apart today. I got the case off and, because the diff was sheared, I was able to slide it out without taking the gear shafts out.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Progress has been REALLY slow on this project. As soon as my parts came, I went on vacation for a week. Last Monday, I took the diff to Napa and had the bearings pressed on and then started putting it all back together. Things were going well until my dad snapped the plastic oil passage for 5th gear. I was hoping not to break that but it's not a big deal. That should be here Tuesday.

I am very anxious to get this thing back together. I really miss driving it. The BMW is nice but there's just something about the MSP - it's so much fun and it's newer and has better paint. Speaking of paint, as soon as the MSP gets fixed, the BMW is getting torn apart for paint and a motor swap.

New diff in

Snap
    Last edited by e30addict; 05-28-2017 at 08:55 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 P5

Sweet, another Cody with a MSP! Not too far either, should meet up someday, maybe go to the tail of the dragon or something

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Ren lookalike

LX & MSP 935

Oh nice for some reason I wasn't following, but now I am!
    Be happy!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stowedyco View Post
    Sweet, another Cody with a MSP! Not too far either, should meet up someday, maybe go to the tail of the dragon or something

That sounds awesome. I drove on the tail of the dragon 2 years ago and have been wanting to go back ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by boostdprotegelx View Post
    Oh nice for some reason I wasn't following, but now I am!
    Sweet!

Registered Member

2003 P5

Ive never been, and my mom lives like 45 mins away from it, also never had a car i cared to take on it until i just got this MSP

Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege

Give me a holla when you guys wanna meet up for the dragon's tail.I live in WNC and never drove it,just been a passenger in a friends 911 once.

Registered Member

After a lot of hassle, the car is back on the road. When I first installed the transmission, the car wouldn't move in gear. I removed and disassembled the entire transmission. The only thing I could think of that was wrong was maybe I had the shift forks, rod, or sleeve in the wrong spot. Long story short, I put the transmission back in the car (but not completely) and there was still a disconnect between the engine and transmission. Removing the drain plug showed me that the ring gear was spinning and taking the 5th gear pan off showed me that the primary shaft/input shaft was moving. Why wouldn't spinning the wheels turn the engine? The throwout bearing that RockAuto sent was wrong. It was hanging up between the input shaft and the bellhousing/case. After installing my old (but still good) throwout bearing, everything works as it should.

It feels good to drive this car again. I've missed it. OH and remember the issue I had with the clutch pedal being heavy? I fixed that too. Apparently, the mechanic who installed the clutch didn't lube the throwout bearing and/or input shaft. I did, and the pedal is so much easier to push!

Last edited by e30addict; 06-14-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Registered Member

A few months ago, I bought brand new AXR Clunk Fix bushings and brackets for the rear sway bar off a forum member. I finally got around to installing those today. I installed the AWR poly bushings last year and those have been fine. But, I was hoping to get rid of some noises coming from the rear suspension and thought I'd try this first. Unfortunately, they didn't get rid of the knocking noise coming from the right rear. On the plus side, they should last a LONG time and make the car handle better. Kind of hard to tell though because the car handles so well already! Everything was torqued to spec and I even painted over the bare metal where the old bushings used to be. OCD OVERDRIVE!

Last edited by e30addict; 06-22-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Ren lookalike

LX & MSP 935

These cars are plagued with noises, but the rear struts are the likely causes.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by boostdprotegelx View Post
    These cars are plagued with noises, but the rear struts are the likely causes.
    I think you're right. The previous owner told me the struts had been replaced. The trailing arms and lateral links look original and could be making noise BUT it's a knocking noise only on the passenger side. I'm thinking maybe the strut is bad.

Ren lookalike

LX & MSP 935

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I think you're right. The previous owner told me the struts had been replaced. The trailing arms and lateral links look original and could be making noise BUT it's a knocking noise only on the passenger side. I'm thinking maybe the strut is bad.

You should look towards the strut mounts. If you search the forum you'll find the answer. I wish I could give you an exact answer but it's been years

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345