Cody's Blazing Yellow MSP

e30addict

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hi everyone. I'm Cody. I've wanted an MSP for as long as I can remember. I needed a new daily while I repaint my BMW e30 so I figured it was time to finally get one. Even though these cars are affordable, they certainly are not easy to find in good condition. I live in the Atlanta area and I searched for 2 months to find one. I found a lot of junk and rust buckets. I finally came upon this car on the Tampa, FL craigslist and had to have it. It was a great car for the money. The craigslist ad said it was a one owner car with a freshly swapped in, 60k engine. The car was clean inside and out and had brand new struts and rear springs. It even came with a spare interior and boxes and boxes of spare parts. I talked to the owner on the phone. There was one thing that bothered me- he only had driven the car 25 miles since the engine swap. 25 miles!! And I was going to drive this from Tampa to Atlanta. If you think that was a crazy idea, you are right. I had no idea what was about to happen...

So, I get to Tampa and the car was everything I had hoped for. The owner was really nice and clearly had a passion for this car. I paid for it, loaded up the spare parts in the protege and in my dads car and we set off for Atlanta. The car made it all the way to Macon, GA where it suddenly stopped running. Sadly, I had it towed to the local Mazda dealer. They found some wiring issues and I was back on the road. The fun didn't last long... it died again about an hour later. I finally had it towed home and discovered that the o2 sensor wiring was burning on the exhaust, shorting the wire, and blowing the fuse. After fixing that issue (new extender harness and o2 sensor), it was back on the road.

I've done a lot of maintenance on the car in the past few weeks and have really been enjoying it. I even got a new aluminum SMIC and pipes for it put on today.

On to the pics:

Last edited:
Is that right, 234k miles? It looks like it has 50k on it, incredibly clean. You will forget all about that 318 once you start modding the MSP, the E30 simply won't compare to the handling or the power of the MSP with a few bolt ons and a little more boost.

That's really clean

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Is that right, 234k miles? It looks like it has 50k on it, incredibly clean. You will forget all about that 318 once you start modding the MSP, the E30 simply won't compare to the handling or the power of the MSP with a few bolt ons and a little more boost.

Hahaha, I hope I don't forget about the e30. Its definitely not fast but I love the way it looks and the handling is good too. All of my friends keep asking me what my plans are for the Protege and I keep saying I'm going to leave it alone. We'll see...

I still can't believe this car has 234k miles. If I look at the paint closely, I see lots of rock chips. But overall the original owner took extremely good care of it.

Damn that's a nice MSP. Doesn't look like it has as many miles as it's showing on the odometer. Great find!

The previous owner definitely cared for that car, and you will definitely end up modding it lol. These cars are way too much fun to leave stock. An FMIC setup, exhaust, AFC, engine mounts and a boost controller are all you need to start a nice build.

Well, I've done a few things to the car. I got some corksport bronze oil shifter bushings. No more sloppy shifter. As you can see the old ones look really bad.

2d0fa52287901f97958729aa1c970d20.jpg
3435f5bd0a8f0daf46f974620cdbf088.jpg

Also, got an adjustable intermittent wiper stalk from a Mazda 6 and one from a Ford Escape for my dad's protege5. The only difference is that it also has the controls for the rear wiper. It's so cool that these are a direct swap.
02e024655ab6f2840076401c5e6c13e9.jpg

Oh yeah, and I guess I inspired my dad to get a Protege lol. He found a protege5 on craigslist. It had a blown engine but is loaded with upgrades. It has lowering springs, tokico struts, ladder bars, full stereo with Nav and sub, alarm system, Mazdaspeed brakes, HID projector retrofit, and so much more. He got it for a steal.

bf5741ad781c1cd53e51250b8e66f875.jpg
8ee5c3c40200ca5b27e08a35602b5254.jpg

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Damn that's a nice P5, the MSP lip, jdm tails, cdm grille and msm mirror are somewhat rare parts

Updates!

Not much has happened with the speed lately. I am getting ready to install a sub and amp.

24b20f5598e8ce77c6b74c862e1014be.jpg

Crappy night time phone pic..

4ff3b5132763d1af6ef13d795df4e445.jpg

Dad bought an fsze for his car and has already pulled the old engine out.

fdf2850261d547222556fe0b7feaec5a.jpg

32a62d661c5fc4036fe12d990086ab89.jpg

Head pulled

eaba9550d8d3577a10e074bc4c0f9b63.jpg

e0a3a9950eab5c8ac3eec08830125217.jpg

He bought a JDM fsze. He pulled the valve cover off and found lots of sludge! Not a great thing but not the end of the world either. We pulled the head and soaked it in kerosene and brushed out most of the sludge. The good news is, besides that, the engine looks like its in pretty good shape. Nothing looks worn and you can still see the cross hatch marks on the cylinder walls.

Last edited:
Well, I got my sub installed, went to a local car meet, and dad got his p5 running.

d8bc15b7e7a0415c4cc9dade161742d0.jpg
c314aafa1217ff9d1da134654c89c51a.jpg
716715df3ac8dd04242f41866032fdda.jpg
3c3a634c97f295edc5ae0764b842dcae.jpg
60dbb3c2cdd2aef55c03ebe67104f275.jpg

Ask your dad if he wants to sell that grille to me. For real. I'd buy it. Are either of you guys in need of a set of coilovers? Partial trade maybe? LMK

Last edited:
I happen to like E36s lol, but I wouldn't want to work on anything German. Especially after these Mazdas that go together like legos.

I happen to like E36s lol, but I wouldn't want to work on anything German. Especially after these Mazdas that go together like legos.

The Mazdas are definitely easy to work on!

I actually don't hate e36s. But, of all the 3 series made, most would argue that they were made much more cheaply than other generations. I'd totally rock an e36 m3 though, especially if it was technoviolet.

The grill looks like a Mintblue, which is worth about as much as the JDM tails. Rarer though.
Nice MSP. Looks just like mine! Bone stock since 04 here. (rockon)
MSPs make great daily drivers, and they're rare enough that there's a cool factor with em. Kinda like having a 323GTX back in the day. Congrats on the new ride!

That said, my friend had an '89 M3 back when they were new. The MSP is fun, but it cant touch a well sorted 1st gen M3. Let's get off Mazda's leg and be honest here.

Last edited:
A close friend has an 02 330ci and a VERY nice carbon black 06 competition package M3 with a few mods and I cannot wait to race him once my forged motor is in. I don't expect to lose

The grill looks like a Mintblue, which is worth about as much as the JDM tails. Rarer though.
Nice MSP. Looks just like mine! Bone stock since 04 here. (rockon)
MSPs make great daily drivers, and they're rare enough that there's a cool factor with em. Kinda like having a 323GTX back in the day. Congrats on the new ride!

That said, my friend had an '89 M3 back when they were new. The MSP is fun, but it cant touch a well sorted 1st gen M3. Let's get off Mazda's leg and be honest here.

Thanks! Wow, I'm surprised someone on here actually has a stock MSP.

E30 M3s are badass but so expensive!

A close friend has an 02 330ci and a VERY nice carbon black 06 competition package M3 with a few mods and I cannot wait to race him once my forged motor is in. I don't expect to lose

How much power are you planning to get out of the forged motor?

Previous owner made about 240wheel on only 8psi, would like to be around 300 crank at 14-15psi

Back