Mileage question new car

I totally agree with you on this. I believe our particular 2.5L SA-G is unfortunately an inferior one from production line, having less stated horse power and hence less fuel efficient. I just hope Mazda can manufacture more engines which consistently meet the specs and discard those which are far off the specs!

With fresh Mazda moly oil and 39 psi on all four tires, I tested out the instant MPGs based on computer readouts during our recent trip to Houston. The computer readout on average MPG is very close to fill-the-tank calculation based on my experience. Here are my data with the best "average" instant MPG I could get on a flat and straight I-45 with steady speed at least for more than 10 seconds:

MPHInstant MPG

Of course these numbers were achieved by manual gas pedal control, cruise control would never get these numbers. And the final average MPG for our 300-mile road trip on I-45 was 26.5.

Really helpful chart and layout. I dig!

Currently at 16.9k on my 16.5 CX-5. Only averaging 25.1. I know that's pretty normal, just wish it was geared a bit higher than it is. I know they gear it a bit lower as it is rated to tow(and I do tow), but it is kind of disappointing. Can't wait for the CX-5 diesel at the end of the year. Will probably trade it off next year for the diesel version as I drive a lot and tow regularly. Not to discredit any of you that get 32+ MPG, but I think you are all full of BS-just my .02

So how come I get a consistent 30-32 mpg in my AWD CX-5 at a cruise control 70 mph on interstates? Differently fuel formulations in different parts of the country ? Our moderate climate here in Charlotte?

No, not what I meant. 32 mpg not the instantaneous readout. That's at end of trip filling tank and dividing by miles traveled.

Last edited:
CRUSE CONTROL VS INSTANTANEOUS READ OUT. My instant readout varies all over +/- 8mph depending on everything. ed

So how come I get a consistent 30-32 mpg in my AWD CX-5 at a cruise control 70 mph on interstates? Differently fuel formulations in different parts of the country ? Our moderate climate here in Charlotte?

No, not what I meant. 32 mpg not the instantaneous readout. That's at end of trip filling tank and dividing by miles traveled.

There is no doubt winter vs. summer fuel makes a difference. Having driven mine 17k now with various speeds/winds/fuel types-I have only mustered 29.9 MPG average over 1 tank as my best. There is no doubt 60-65 is the sweet spot and I could absolutely see getting 32ish with 60-65 mph no problem. But the people who claim anymore than that-it just doesn't seem possible. The CX-5 is geared much lower than my previous '14 Mazda 6 where 35-40 mpg was easily achieved consistently on tanks-even cruising 75-80 mph. So I call B.S. on anymore than that, just my .02. I drive about 75% highway and maybe 25% at most city driving. Most of it is here in pretty flat eastern Iowa cruising on the interstate and 2-lane country roads with speeds about 60-65 on those roads.

I have noticed that depending on where I buy gas from I see a 3-4 mpg difference. If you are seeing poor mpg, try a different fueling station to see if that helps. I have a 2016.5 GT AND and have averaged 27.2 over 9,752 miles tracked with a high tank of 31.2 and low of 23.8 on a trip to Florida.

Back