Blizzak DM-V2 or WS80's or Michelin - Latitude X-Ice XI2

:
2014 Touring CX-5 Technology - Bose Moonroof Packages
As the title says I'm trying to get the best "Winter" (Climate change IS real) tires I can. I had some studded Hakka 8"s set to be shipped to me here in Anchorage but decided to try going studless.

Costco has a $70 off deal for the Bridgestone's thru the 27th but only has a set of WS80's in 235 60 17 here. I can order the the right size AND the DM-V2's online and have them shipped to my Costco and still get the deal.

On the 28th I could order the Michelin - Latitude X-Ice XI2"s and get the $70 off deal on them.
ice
The local dealer said the wider 235 60"s would be fine but I'm not so sure. It would through off the OD about 1.5 MPH, not a huge deal, BUT a wider tire is not as good on ice. And lately Anchorage Winters have had less snow and more ice. Even RAIN on ice. In Winter.

Anyway I'm hoping you folks can guide me as well as educate me on the best way to go. I became a CX-5 owner because after having a emergency amputation of my right forearm that caused a stroke taking out the use of my lower left leg last February, my stick shift Subaru Outback wasn't much fun anymore. Nor safe for me to drive. I got a pretty good deal on the 2014 Mazda and it only had 19K on i and everything I wanted but the heated leather seats. And it IS nice to be a Mazda owner again! I started off in 1978 with a GLC and an RX-(yippy)

Here's my take on the tires your looking at. The Michelin XI2's are an older tire, they've been updated to the XI3's, but the new ones done come in a size that works for the cx-5 stock rims. Since you have the touring I'm going to assume you have the 17" rims. The michelins are nice tires and they'll get you where you need to go they are just an older design. The DM-v1 are the same thing, the DM-V2 just replaced that tire this year. The DM-tires are a truck based tire for small trucks and SUVs, which apply to the cx-5 but have a lower speed rating then the WS80's. The ws80's are bridgestones newest tire design, have a higher speed rating then the DM-V1's and I believe we're cheaper then the DM-V1's. For me, it was a no brainier, I purchased the ws80 225/65R17 from Costco awhile back. They didn't have the tire in wharehouse but ordered them in and a week later they were installed. I haven't had much "winter" use with them here in Wisconsin yet since winter hasn't decided to come this year. It's 60 degrees here today! But on the dry and in the rain they feel very stable and I like the way they ride.

Third winter on my DM-V1's. Great tires, wonderful traction and control, but they have gotten noticeably noisy. But, that's what the volume control on the radio is for!

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2

I'd ordered a pair of studded Hakka's when my GF and others went ballistic telling me to go studless. So I cancelled the Hakka's.

My concern with the BlizzaK is they wear off the soft outer layer fast and become very expensive all season tires. Particularly as we don't seem to be having "typical" Alaskan Winters anymore.

358 PM AKST FRI DEC 25 2015

...STRONG WIND THROUGH LATE THIS EVENING ALONG TURNAGAIN ARM AND HIGHER ELEVATIONS...

Tonight... Mostly cloudy. Flurries. Early lows around 20 rising into the mid to upper 20s after midnight. North wind to 15 mph. Gusts to 25 mph along knik arm. Along turnagain arm and higher elevations...east wind 35 to 50 mph decreasing to 20 to 35 mph after midnight.

Saturday... Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 20s to lower 30s. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph except east 15 to 30 mph along turnagain arm and higher elevations.

Saturday Night... Mostly cloudy. Lows in the lower to mid 20s. Variable wind 10 mph except east 15 to 30 mph along turnagain arm and higher elevations.

Sunday... Mostly cloudy. A chance of snow in the afternoon. Highs around 30. Variable wind 10 mph except east 20 to 35 mph along turnagain arm and higher elevations.

Sunday Night... Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of snow. Lows in the 20s. Variable wind 10 mph except southeast 25 to 40 mph along turnagain arm and higher elevations.

Monday... Cloudy with a chance of snow. Highs 25 to 35.

Monday Night... Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow showers. Lows in the 20s.

Tuesday... Mostly cloudy. Highs 25 to 35.

Tuesday Night... Cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows in the 20s.

Wednesday... Snow and rain likely. Highs in the 30s.

Wednesday Night and Thursday... Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. Lows in the 20s. Highs in the 30s.

Thursday Night and New Years Day... Snow and rain likely. Lows in the 20s. Highs in the 30s.

RAIN? SERIOUSLY, RAIN?????????

I bought the Michelins for their reported longevity and warranty. I have used them in snow many times this year already and they rock. Traction is great and so is road noise on dry pavement. Plus they were on sale at Costco. For the record so weren't the Bridgestones.

Another plus on the Xi-2 is low rolling resistance = improved fuel economy. We've had them on 2 vehicles, a Honda Ridgeline and our Golf which now wears Xi-3s. They were excellent on both. Our CX-5 wears 225/70x16 Blizzak DM-V1s which rock in ice and snow but lack the Xi-2s directional stability on irregular road surfaces such as the channnels worn in pavement by #%*@ studded tires (which cause $10M damage to Oregon roads annually). Our daughter just installed DM-V2s on her Honda Pilot. They seem to track better than the DM-V1s.

I have used Michelin X-ice on previous vehicle's but when I bought my CX-5 my research led me to the Blizzak WS-80's. After 2 winters on them I can honestly say that I am certain that I made the right choice.

Back