2016 CX-5 AWD or FWD vs. 2016 Mazda3 5-door s GT

olliedawg

:
BMW 328i xDrive GT
We're newbies in the Mazda world -- my husband dismissed the brand for years as "junky," and now is wow'ed by the brand -- and are looking to lease either the 2016 CX-5 GT AWD or FWD OR the Mazda3 5-door s GT with all the goodies. We live in the Hudson Valley where we've had brutal winters in the past 2 years, but always put snows on our cars. The price difference between the two leases is not huge. Which car would you buy? And, if you're recommending the CX-5, should we buy FWD or AWD?

Thanks!

2016 CX-5 GT AWD will suit you perfectly in your winters

Hi and welcome to the Mazda world!!
We have both vehicles you're considering. My wife drives a 2016 CX5 GT AWD, and I have a 2015 3s GT (manual transmission).
They're both fantastic to drive, I'm old school and like shifting my own gears hence the manual in the 3 (mazda is one of the last car makers to offer manuals with their premium trim models - and it's a great shifting transmission! )
If this will be your primary or only vehicle then I'd go for the CX5, you can't beat the utility (way more space for people and cargo, higher seating position, etc). Plus it's still fun to drive and the fuel mileage isn't a whole lot more than the 3. If you go CX5 then I'd also go AWD if it's in your budget. But that's my personal preference (we frequently drive to a cabin that's on a steep gravel road and the AWD is great to have)
Good luck with you're decision, let us know what you get (with pictures of course!)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1450801588075.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1450801588075.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 282
Raeburn, thanks for your comments. This is actually a 2nd vehicle -- our other car is a 2014 BMW 328i xDrive GT, so we do have AWD in one vehicle. We're replacing a 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI (so annoyed about the shenanigans at VW), if this helps to flesh out your recommendations.

Oh, and one more question to y'all: Seat comfort...we thought seat comfort in the Mazda3 was slighter better than the CX-5. It'd be good to hear from long-time drivers of either model.

Thanks!

I can't answer your seat preference but I will comment on AWD vs. FWD. For traveling winter roads the most important thing is winter tires and it looks like you already know this. If your other cars are not AWD and you've had no issues getting around, then by all means, get the FWD. You will save money not only on the purchase but on fuel as well every year you own the vehicle. You will also get slightly better performance in terms of acceleration and there are less parts to fail/replace as the car ages.

On the other hand, I chose AWD and have been places that a FWD could not have gone. You would know what you need better than anyone else and how much it's worth to you.

We own a CX-5 AWD and a Mazda 3 i hatchback.
Keep in mind the 3 is smaller inside compared with the CX-5 and has a smaller cargo volume. If this is fine for you, the 3 handles very well and is a lot of fun to drive, I'd say more than the CX-5. The CX-5 offers a better ride than the 3 and handles very well for being a CUV with more utility and ground clearance. Our 3 was significantly less expensive that the CX-5.
I got AWD for our ski trips and is mainly to satisfy Caltrans requirements for driving without chains over the Sierra.

AWD all the way. It pays off huge when you're dealing with things that tires CAN'T help with (well, not any tire you'd put on this vehicle...) such as loose gravel, etc. As far as I know, the FWD version does not have a locking diff, which means 1 wheel-peal city if you try to pull out hard from a side-street with gravel in the gutter of the perpendicular street. You laugh, but I almost got T-boned in my Infiniti one day exactly for that reason. I punched it with a suitable space in traffic, and it just sat there and spun for 2-3 seconds on loose gravel washed down the side of the road, and I had to throw it in reverse to avoid a wreck. When I installed a locking diff in it, I had no more issues. With AWD, I have found that life is even better. In my Grand Jeep Cherokee (tons of torque), I could floor it onto a road with a high crown/grade from a side street. Usually the high angle of approach plus turn would prevent this. With the AWD Jeep, it was cake. (hard to explain, but with RWD what happened is the unloading of the inside tire as you crested the rise onto the road would cause loss of traction. THis is an example of a steep drive-way, or side-street. I used to HATE it in my 370Z and Z06 and Trans Am, but with the Jeep, it was invisible as an issue).

In short, I found that AWD can turn an "I've messed up because I was in a hurry..." moment into "no problem, how would that have been an issue"?

Haven owned RWD, FWD, and now AWD vehicles, I am really sad that there is no "mid-priced" AWD sports car in America. You are stuck with a Subaru, or a GT-R/Porsche 9114S. Nothing in the $45-60K range. So sad.

Last edited:
My vote is for the CX-5 FWD, it's what I got. I also have a set of winter tires, though this has been the warmest December on record and the days are averaging in the 60s so I'm still on the all seasons.

I got the FWD mainly for the lower cost of operation and maintenance. I couldn't justify adding AWD as it would have had no real world use for 95% off our needs. And if the weather turns really bad, I just work from home.

My vote is for the CX-5 FWD, it's what I got. I also have a set of winter tires, though this has been the warmest December on record and the days are averaging in the 60s so I'm still on the all seasons.

I got the FWD mainly for the lower cost of operation and maintenance. I couldn't justify adding AWD as it would have had no real world use for 95% off our needs. And if the weather turns really bad, I just work from home.

Did you have trouble finding a FWD here in the Northeast? Every dealer here in the Pittsburgh area only has AWD on their lots and has told me I'd have to order a FWD--probably take 3-4 months (they say).

Did you have trouble finding a FWD here in the Northeast? Every dealer here in the Pittsburgh area only has AWD on their lots and has told me I'd have to order a FWD--probably take 3-4 months (they say).

Yes we did. We had to do a dealer to dealer transfer from Maryland.

I had a 2014 Mazda 3 i Touring Hatchback prior to my CX5. I like the CX5 more for a wide variety of reasons. I did get about 40 MPGs with the 3, and it drove nicely, but the road noise was miserable. Not sure if they've helped remedy that yet (they definitely have for the 2016 CX5s).

Both seem to have some creaks/rattles from the plastic pieces... the price you pay for weight reduction.

I'd probably lean towards AWD considering your location.

I just drove past a 3 hatch AND a CX-5 (don't know the vintage of either) and thought the hatch kinda small. Now, my husband drove a regular ol' MINI for about 5-6 years, and that was OK by him for the most part (and we hated our 2013 MINI Countryman -- noisy lil' sucker). I think the small SUV might be the way to go after all, even with the fuel eco hit. A local guy is offering a GT with all the trimmings for about $36K US. Sound good to youse guys?

AWD all the way. It pays off huge when you're dealing with things that tires CAN'T help with (well, not any tire you'd put on this vehicle...) such as loose gravel, etc. As far as I know, the FWD version does not have a locking diff, which means 1 wheel-peal city if you try to pull out hard from a side-street with gravel in the gutter of the perpendicular street. You laugh, but I almost got T-boned in my Infiniti one day exactly for that reason. I punched it with a suitable space in traffic, and it just sat there and spun for 2-3 seconds on loose gravel washed down the side of the road, and I had to throw it in reverse to avoid a wreck. When I installed a locking diff in it, I had no more issues. With AWD, I have found that life is even better. In my Grand Jeep Cherokee (tons of torque), I could floor it onto a road with a high crown/grade from a side street. Usually the high angle of approach plus turn would prevent this. With the AWD Jeep, it was cake. (hard to explain, but with RWD what happened is the unloading of the inside tire as you crested the rise onto the road would cause loss of traction. THis is an example of a steep drive-way, or side-street. I used to HATE it in my 370Z and Z06 and Trans Am, but with the Jeep, it was invisible as an issue).

In short, I found that AWD can turn an "I've messed up because I was in a hurry..." moment into "no problem, how would that have been an issue"?

Haven owned RWD, FWD, and now AWD vehicles, I am really sad that there is no "mid-priced" AWD sports car in America. You are stuck with a Subaru, or a GT-R/Porsche 9114S. Nothing in the $45-60K range. So sad.

Maybe a BMW 228 or 235 with X drive ?

I looked at the Mazda3 5-door and CX-5. I decided on the CX-5 because it could tow 2000# and the Mazda3 could not tow at all. I liked the Mazda3 better for several reasons. 1) The Mazda3 has much less wind resistance so will get 40mpg on hiway while CX-5 in real world freeway driving will only get 28mpg. 2) The Mazda3 has much lower center of gravity and far more fun to drive. 3) The Mazda3 has much better seats, while CX-5 seats MUST be on lowest setting or it feels as if they are pitching forward. 4) The Mazda3 had far better infotainment, but believe CX-5 finally matched it in this years model.

I'd say if you don't need tow ability and rear hatch room is suitable, the Mazda3 is the better choice.

Thanks to all of you lovely people. We're going to go with the 3 5-door s GT auto with package and remote start (been jonesing to be able to warm up the car before I head out the door, but this freaky NE "spring" we're having makes me wonder why). You rock.

Back