Battery life

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I would like to hear what others are getting in they way of battery life from the OEM unit? I especially am interested in those who life in the South and FL. Mine is going strong at ~ 30 months now. Ed

The wife's was beginning to crank slower than it originally did, by a little over 40 months old. The battery was not *bad* by any means, but was on the decline. We do not live in the hot part of the country, but she spends A LOT of time in drive-thru lines, so I think that that is what helped to cook the thing just a little faster than the climate would have.

Last edited:
I would like to hear what others are getting in they way of battery life from the OEM unit? I especially am interested in those who life in the South and FL. Mine is going strong at ~ 30 months now. Ed

I'm not in the South but my OEM battery is not showing any signs of slowing down after 38 months. Recently I returned from 2 weeks in Hawaii, I had parked the car in my BIL's driveway. It was 1:00 am and in the low 40's and my 2013 CX-5 fired right up same as if I'd never left.

Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels may help lengthen the life. Use only distilled water.

Battery Killer

Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels may help lengthen the life. Use only distilled water.

The biggest killer of batteries is COLD! Freezing will kill it almost immediately, and perhaps keeping it above 35d F would be great. If garage is not heated and it is cold, they sell plug in battery thermal wrap!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It is supposed to get below 20d F this week at night and I will have mine plugged it!!

Howdy Ed,

It's interesting that you mention this, we'd been on a little road trip and I
kept thinking that my New (4.5 months old) 2016 just doesn't seem to what I call
Fire right up, it's kind of an almost slow cranking. I guess I'm just used to cars that have
new or powerful Batteries to really spin the starter faster.

Of course this is my First Push Start so that could explain things.

Anyone do a Battery Relocation to the trunk? Maybe it will help with longevity for those living in super hot climate regions as well as improve slightly the weight distribution.

I only have 1500 miles in 4.5 months which is not helpful for this topic.

FYI: A fully charge battery will not freeze at minus 75 degrees F

That's true. And at cold temperatures the normal chemical reactions that cause the battery to age and eventually die are slowed way down.

The bottom line is cold temperatures are good for a batteries lifespan and heat is it's worse enemy.

Wow! 3 & 4 years?!
I replaced the OEM battery in my 2007 (late 2006 model) VW GTI only LAST YEAR! And of course it died when it was -15F and on my way to work!

The top of the battery should be cleaned from time to time. Dirt has a tendency to create a path for a slight short circuit between the terminals and shorting out the battery. And like I mentioned before, electrolyte levels should be checked from time to time, you shouldn't be able to see the plates sticking out above the fluid level. Those so called "maintenance-free" batteries are also serviceable more times than not. The top label can come off and there'll be the caps for the six filler holes. Sometimes they can be pried off and fluid levels can be checked/adjusted. Of course, the charging system should be up to par- no loose belts. I had a battery in my Voyager last 8 years before leaving me stranded in the middle of summer! Also, I read in another Mazda CX5 forum from a master tech (don't really know) that if you don't lock the doors the battery will drain. Don't know if any of you guys have heard this before, I sure found it odd. Something about if the car isn't locked the modules stay in standby mode therefore draining the battery, whereas if the car is locked the modules go to sleep.

Last edited:
I noticed the cigar jack inside the center arm rest is always powered on, and I have a microUSB charger plugged in there all times. I never lock the door when I park in my garage and I can see that may drain the battery if left for very very long time.

The biggest killer of batteries is COLD! Freezing will kill it almost immediately, and perhaps keeping it above 35d F would be great. If garage is not heated and it is cold, they sell plug in battery thermal wrap!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

It is supposed to get below 20d F this week at night and I will have mine plugged it!!

Hot temperatures shorten the life of a battery and the cold reduces a batteries ability to hold a charge. This is why an older battery that is weakened during a hot summer shows its ugly face when the temperatures get cold.

Not sure if AGM is very common in automotive use but have great luck in powersports equipment (ATVs and snowmobiles) with long periods without use and in the sub-freezing cold.

Hot temperatures shorten the life of a battery and the cold reduces a batteries ability to hold a charge. This is why an older battery that is weakened during a hot summer shows its ugly face when the temperatures get cold.

Exactly right.

Not sure if AGM is very common in automotive use but have great luck in powersports equipment (ATVs and snowmobiles) with long periods without use and in the sub-freezing cold.

AGM is a great option. The first generation Miata's used them, and they were known for seeing 10 years service on occasion.

I recommend the ODYSSEY Batteries. http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx

Last edited:
I heard abount ODYSSEY batteries and in fact wanted to install one. But value proposition is difficult to adjust. Here's why. The battery came out to be approx. $300 with NJ tax. If I go for a decent battery it's approx. $80. Even if I change it on 4th. year (any decent ones seem to at least last 3 years), in 9 years I spend $240. I also get back something if there's pro-rata warranty. Considering return of core, pro-rata returned by manufacturing and factoring inflation - 9 year cost, let's say will still come out to $240. If I go for more higher end batteries savings is even more. Also note: they aren't really guaranteeing 10 years.

Of course - if folks pay someone to install, etc. that's different.

Not a good value at all unless you have a specific need for this type battery or the cost to you is irrelevant.I also note that the warranty is sort of average. Ed

Back