Spark plug replacement surprise

We do know that the OEM plug uses different electrode material, as I stated earlier. Ed

Are you concerned that iridium and platinum might have different electrical characteristics? Generally I'm in favor of using OEM replacement parts but the cost difference is enough that it may pay off to find a suitable replacement. If it didn't work as well you could be sure it would manifest itself with lower mpg or other symptoms. It's interesting the Denso plug uses a different precious metal for each electrode. I wonder if platinum is more resistant to erosion when used as the ground electrode?

Until someone reports back with 20K miles on these alternate plugs I'm still going OEM... that is 3-4 years out for me.

Until someone reports back with 20K miles on these alternate plugs I'm still going OEM... that is 3-4 years out for me.

Good point! I have over 3 years ownership and 27,000 miles. Looks like I won't need to worry about spark plugs until the car is almost 9 years old!

The DENSO plug list the ground electrode as Platinum and the OEM is Iridium for both ground & center, so there appears to be a difference in materials.

I believe the OEM Mazda plug is also platinum on the ground electrode and iridium for the center electrode. Just because they call it an iridium plug doesn't mean the ground electrode isn't platinum!

I believe the OEM Mazda plug is also platinum on the ground electrode and iridium for the center electrode. Just because they call it an iridium plug doesn't mean the ground electrode isn't platinum!

And are those parts complete iridium/platinum or just plated?

I believe they are plated using a vapor deposition process.

If I’m not mistaken, Mazda Corporation does not make Spark Plugs ?

If the specifications of the Denso you quoted is the exact same as the Mazda, wouldnt it be safe to assume that Denso makes the Mazda OEM plugs? And that the Mazda plug is simply a re-branded Denso Iridium TT (twin tip) IXEH20TT for both engines?

It just doesnt make sense to me. How could a spark plug that is made the same as all other spark plugs be used as a sensor to detect knock/pre-detination etc.. ? Does knock create some sort of Electro Magnetic Pulse or maybe excess heat that heats up the spark plug material that changes its conductivity characteristics?

I’m not looking for “proprietary” information such as the code written in the ecu or the percentages just general info on how it works. Did Mazda create something that the Automobile Manufacturer, F1 racing, Rally, NASCAR etc... do not have?

Its almost the same as saying that the oil pressure sensor and hardware as is can also be made to detect oil contamination or excessive accumulation of metal particles circulating in the oil... Maybe a home TV can be made to act as a camera without adding any camera/optic accessories.

Well doing a google brings up cryptic references to a park plug being used as a sensor, some pdf's and stuff. Nothing mazda specific although some was about denso.

Well doing a google brings up cryptic references to a park plug being used as a sensor, some pdf's and stuff. Nothing mazda specific although some was about denso.

Are you referring to the ION sensing technology that Saab used? Thats the only thing I can find so far thats close to the “proprietary” technology you guys speak of. This makes more sense of how it can be done.

https://books.google.com/books?id=7...v=onepage&q=spark plug used as sensor&f=false

http://www.searchautoparts.com/moto...vice-repair/making-sense-ion-sense-technology

Don't know what you mean buy "you guys" I didn't make any claim. I'm inclined to stick with oem or the denso oem equivalent myself. I doubt ovt is going to come on here to argue the point (I wouldn't; your $ and performance); fact is he's pretty respected and considering he deals in aftermarket stuff I respect his recommendation.

Last edited:
Don't know what you mean buy "you guys" I didn't make any claim. I'm inclined to stick with oem or the denso oem equivalent myself. I doubt ovt is going to come on here to argue the point (I wouldn't your $ and performance); fact is he's pretty respected and considering he deals in aftermarket stuff I respect his recommendation.

I’m not accusing any one of miss information or anything of that nature. I’m just saying not enough information was provided.

I meant any one that says they heard or recommends to use the OEM plugs only but cant provided any additional information. Unless you prefer “The two Yutes” ?

yutes.jpg

Again, dont take this as a personal attack towards any one or their credibility. Just wanted more information than “its proprietary” if they new more.

Anyone care to comment on this?

"Not knowing the specs of a USA CX5 I'm not 100% certain this will apply. ( I work in the New Zealand & Australian market )

The factory ignition system has a "Ion" sensor setup. Its basically a pre O2 sensor check of combustion using the ignition coil & sparkplug. I can't remember the exact details but I remember being taught we must use genuine sparkplugs and not aftermarket plugs.

Another of my 2 cents to consider before replacing sparkplugs in any Skyactiv Mazda."

http://www.aces.edu/~parmega/efi/temp/DIY-Ion-Sensing.pdf

"1.3.1 Simple..
A method to get to know whether ignition is too early or too late, on a cycle-to-cycle
basis. No extra intrusive sensors, no engine modifications. The technology
can be applied to any internal combustion engine that is ignited by a spark plug
(or has a similar pair of electrodes installed ;), independent of the engine layout
and fuel."

Last edited:
Anyone care to comment on this?

"Not knowing the specs of a USA CX5 I'm not 100% certain this will apply. ( I work in the New Zealand & Australian market )

The factory ignition system has a "Ion" sensor setup. Its basically a pre O2 sensor check of combustion using the ignition coil & sparkplug. I can't remember the exact details but I remember being taught we must use genuine sparkplugs and not aftermarket plugs.

Another of my 2 cents to consider before replacing sparkplugs in any Skyactiv Mazda."

http://www.aces.edu/~parmega/efi/temp/DIY-Ion-Sensing.pdf

"1.3.1 Simple..
A method to get to know whether ignition is too early or too late, on a cycle-to-cycle
basis. No extra intrusive sensors, no engine modifications. The technology
can be applied to any internal combustion engine that is ignited by a spark plug
(or has a similar pair of electrodes installed ;), independent of the engine layout
and fuel."

I also see something about a mazda millennia snafu, although I suppose without a comparison of exact specs it's hard to say.

Yes!!! Good find Mike M.

There's a reason for the "TT" at the end of the part number which means twin tip. Check out their website. http://densott.com/ with detailed explanation. This part is interesting (along with the cool pics) "With this unique design, there are literally two tips: a 0.4-millimeter Iridium center electrode, and a 0.7-millimeter Platinum ground electrode. DENSOs patented Twin-Tip technology was first used on original equipment spark plugs for luxury and performance cars. Now, that technology is available to everyone."

From 2013 spec section of Owners Manual so it looks like the DENSO's:
"When cleaning the iridium plugs, do not use a wire brush. The fine particulate
coating on the iridium alloy and platinum tips could be damaged."

From 2013 spec section of Owners Manual so it looks like the DENSO's:
"When cleaning the iridium plugs, do not use a wire brush. The fine particulate
coating on the iridium alloy and platinum tips could be damaged."

Yes. I think it's safe to assume we can save $70 (with no downside) when replacing plugs. There is no need for them to say "Mazda" on them.

Back