Suspension choices - going stout, not comfy

Primergy

:
2006 Mazda 5
Hello there,

Just brought home a Mazda 5 (2006) - 96k miles.

Needs the obvious - rear struts.
I did some research here and elsewhere and it seems one of the biggest issues is that this Mazda 5 is probably the biggest car in the lot, sharing compatible suspension parts with other Mazda, Ford, Volvo cars.
In my mind, no wonder they fail rather soon. (Even if the bare weight of the car is not that much, the option to seat 6/7 ppl / or have gobs of space to load stuff makes a difference.)

I don't want to turn the M5 into a lorry but comfort is not the top priority. What do you reckon is the best option for some duty?

Bilstein HD B6? Some folks mentioned the Volvo V50 part is compatible?! (I am using Billie HDs in my other daily - Volvo 240 and they are beefy compared to the the one for the V50)
Konis?
KYBs?

Are there any official, or tested stiffer springs for the rear? (not interested in lowering the van)

I recommend KYB Gas-A-Just shocks for the rear. They are a bit firmer but not annoying stiff. I firmly believe that these should have been the shocks Mazda should have put on the Mazda5 from factory. These are a monotube design versus the underspecced OEM twin tubes. You won't be disappointed.

I've had HDs in the past on a Golf, I found them somewhat harsh. Just put Koni FSDs (original spring, so no lowering) in my wife's 5, and I very much like the reduction in body roll when changing lanes on the highway. The rear shock had minimal rebound when they came out. YMMV

I'm pretty sure I remember someone on here had air shocks as well, for the ability to change the damping on demand that option is hard to beat. I don't really thing anyone has found something that really makes the rear shocks more durable, though the Koni FSD drew some harsh comments early on for failing just as fast as the stockers.

Thanks for the input!
Looks like a budget decision.

The man in me wants Bilstein HDs, KYBs should be just fine (I actually put the same series in our old Mazda Protege ES, Moog SB endlinks and it was awesome.)
Shopping also in Germany (just an alien over here in the US), I found the front Billies for Eur125 ea! Adding shipping, dropping German VAT and conversion comes out to be ~$320 for the pair.
Hmmmmm.... a full set for ~$520.. still.. no match for 4x KYBs at ~$250.

I just have to come to my senses.

Do the KYB monotubes in the back. I have them out back in my V70 with Koni Yellows up front and they pair nicely. Not mentioned is that for 2010+ Mazda has a new PN for rear springs. Heard they are beefier. That is probably what you are looking for. Replacing springs is probably more rational than paying for Bilsteins.

Do the KYB monotubes in the back. I have them out back in my V70 with Koni Yellows up front and they pair nicely. Not mentioned is that for 2010+ Mazda has a new PN for rear springs. Heard they are beefier. That is probably what you are looking for. Replacing springs is probably more rational than paying for Bilsteins.

That's right!! How can I overlook that?? The best set up and most affordable way to beef up and upgrade your rear suspension is KYB GAJ shocks and 2012+ springs. I was the first one to do this in this forum on my old 2006. What an idiot I am? I call brain fart.

This is excellent info!

Hmm, 2010+, or 2012+ ?

2012 and newer models. Basically the 2012-2015 newest generation and last one here in the US (sadly). Don't forget to also buy the upper spring insulator rubber. These are also more beefy and provide better insulation from those odd noises the 1st generation developed. Both the spring and rubber upper seats (insulators) are relatively affordable.

Alright. I ordered springs & seats along with a few other small items from Tasca.
Is Tasca a popular choice here for OEM parts? I have been getting my Volvo OEM stuff from them in the past, their prices are decent and good service as well. What's popular for Mazda stuff?

Rear struts & strut mounts, Rocar motor mounts (set) and a few other goodies are on the way as well.

Alright. I ordered springs & seats along with a few other small items from Tasca.
Is Tasca a popular choice here for OEM parts? I have been getting my Volvo OEM stuff from them in the past, their prices are decent and good service as well. What's popular for Mazda stuff?

Rear struts & strut mounts, Rocar motor mounts (set) and a few other goodies are on the way as well.

TASCA is a good choice, I have bought stuff from them in the past. I personally buy my Mazda OEM parts locally since I have a buddy that works at a Mazda dealer and I get the employee hook up.

Hopefully I can get the rear suspension done this weekend. All parts are here.
My back is getting better after giving me a hard time the past three days. An IT job and manual labor in the free time do not always play together nicely.

Ordered Bilsteins B6 / HD struts & Bilstein B1 strut mounts for the front - in Germany.
249Eur / ~$270 including shipping within Germany. Best part is: I don't have to pay for shipping to the US as family is sending over a care-packet anyway and decided to tack on the parts & upgrade the weight class at no cost.

Quick update:

IMG_20160118_102227_resize.jpg

Put in the Bilstein HDs in the rear along with the mentioned stiffer springs, KYB mounts, new spring seats.
The Billies fit just fine but do not have an extended metal bushing at the bottom. Made a few small spacers from 1/4in thick-walled aluminum tube to fill the gaps on the bolts, probably not needed.

Sorry I am lacking comparisons here, I started out with a bad suspension. What I can say is:
- The 2012+ springs are probably not worth buying. The difference is marginal (same diameter coil, ~1/3 extra winding, same measurements).
- The 2012+ upper spring seats are great and probably an additional cushion of insulation against road noise and vibrations, very 'comfy' looking
- The Bilsteins drive nice but I will have to report back once the front is done. (I hope to have the front struts in ~3weeks)

Again, thanks for the parts recommendations!

Where I think you will find the "new" rear springs are better is when the vehicle is loaded with people or cargo. The original springs tended to be too soft at that point and forced the under-specced shocks to carry too much of the load, thus causing premature failure. The revised springs addressed this issue AFAIK.

Primergy, as I mentioned a long time ago in my thread which I don't want to find right now. The 2012+ springs have one or so less winding and are separated a little more in between coils. So they are the same height if that is what you are referring to "the same size" but they are definitely not the same spring rate. They are a tiny bit more firm and a definite improvement over the 1st gen.

Ok, maybe it is just hard to get the full picture when coming from a situation where both struts were collapsing in the rear and the front still needs to be done.
Let me reserve final judgement until I have fixed all four corners and hauled a few items. :)

If your van is anything like mine, you will end up with a better than new car when all is said and done. I didn't replace the springs and seats on mine (the OE stuff still squeaks and creaks in the cold) but I did the shocks, mounts, lateral links, and trailing arm bushings in the rear along with struts (Koni Yellows) mounts, sway bar end links, and FSB bushings in the front and even with my high mileage she drives like a new van, wears the tires dead even across all four tires, and is quiet as a church going down the road. Except of course for the accursed rear spring seats which groan and moan in the cold like an old woman LOL

I'm going to put some rear shocks and struts by monroe, hopefully that solve the problem of mazda5 rear suspension issues.

Back