Suspension choices - going stout, not comfy

Yay, progress, finally the shipment arrived, along with some licorice and other sweets & treats.
Now I just have to find time to install it *zzz

The strut-mounts are Febi Bilstein (made in France if anyone cares). These were advertised for a Volvo V50 as well on the dealer page.
Cross-reference sources mention they fit the Mazda5 CR19. Fingers crossed.

P2270025_resize.JPG

Yay, progress, finally the shipment arrived, along with some licorice and other sweets & treats.
Now I just have to find time to install it *zzz

The strut-mounts are Febi Bilstein (made in France if anyone cares). These were advertised for a Volvo V50 as well on the dealer page.
Cross-reference sources mention they fit the Mazda5 CR19. Fingers crossed.

P2270025_resize.JPG
they look nice. Are those B8 or B6? Look like B6, good amount of travel.

Can you please take a few measurements?
1) what is the piston diameter, thicker lower shaft and upper skinner portion?
2) how long is the shock from top to bottom?
3) how long is the exposed shaft, top to bottoman (uncompressed)
4) how much shaft travel does it offer (compress all the way and measure leftover exposed shaft)?

Last edited:
they look nice. Are those B8 or B6? Look like B8, good amount of travel.

Can you please take a few measurements?
1) what is the piston diameter, thicker lower shaft and upper skinner portion?
2) how long is the shock from top to bottom?
3) how long is the exposed shaft, top to bottoman (uncompressed)
4) how much shaft travel does it offer (compress all the way and measure leftover exposed shaft)?

Ugh, I hate to say, I did not stop by my own thread and just finished installing.
I could push in the old ones with my pinky and they would not come out any more.
Swaybar endlinks have been replaced with Moog. Even without corrosion, it was a PITA to get them off, bloody Inbus keys. One mount was easier done with a cut of grinder and a chisel.

Those are the Bilstein B6 Sport (at least that is what they are called in Germany. In the US they come up as B6 HD).
PartNr. 35-110736 & 35-110743

Here is what I can say:

• The unit has the same base measurements as the stock Mazda strut. It is a direct drop-in minus a few smaller adjustments.
  • Piston diameter is SUBSTANTIALLY larger, I had re-drill the bumpstops and the plastic cup inside the dust-cover, which clamps to the bottom of the strut.
  • The hole where you affix the brake-like with the shim was a bit too small. Just a 5min Dremel operation.
  • I had to minimally widen the clamp prior to mounting (just drive a narrow axe-head into the gap a little bit).
  • FFS, do not buy those Febi Bilstein strut mounts. Any extra dollar spent on those is a waste. I assumed the badge = a higher quality product, the opposite is true.
    The ball-bearing part is a direct copy. The mounting plate has the VERY annoying habit of dropping the threaded pieces!
    Compared it with he OEM plate, there the threaded parts are held on much better!! (better pressing, hex cutout instead of round and star-shaped surface for extra grip to keep it from spinning when you tighten on top.)

I have not driven a single mile. Engine is idling outside and I am going to get a shower now.

Last edited:
Ugh, I hate to say, I did not stop by my own thread and just finished installing.
I could push in the old ones with my pinky and they would not come out any more.
Swaybar endlinks have been replaced with Moog. Even without corrosion, it was a PITA to get them off, bloody Inbus keys. One mount was easier done with a cut of grinder and a chisel.

Those are the Bilstein B6 Sport (at least that is what they are called in Germany. In the US they come up as B6 HD).
PartNr. 35-110736 & 35-110743

Here is what I can say:

• The unit has the same base measurements as the stock Mazda strut. It is a direct drop-in minus a few smaller adjustments.
  • Piston diameter is SUBSTANTIALLY larger, I had re-drill the bumpstops and the plastic cup inside the dust-cover, which clamps to the bottom of the strut.
  • The hole where you affix the brake-like with the shim was a bit too small. Just a 5min Dremel operation.
  • I had to minimally widen the clamp prior to mounting (just drive a narrow axe-head into the gap a little bit).
  • FFS, do not buy those Febi Bilstein strut mounts. Any extra dollar spent on those is a waste. I assumed the badge = a higher quality product, the opposite is true.
    The ball-bearing part is a direct copy. The mounting plate has the VERY annoying habit of dropping the threaded pieces!
    Compared it with he OEM plate, there the threaded parts are held on much better!! (better pressing, hex cutout instead of round and star-shaped surface for extra grip to keep it from spinning when you tighten on top.)

I have not driven a single mile. Engine is idling outside and I am going to get a shower now.
oh well. But I do recommend you call bilstein right away and ask if these part numbers are INVERTED shocks with internal bump stops. AFAIK, these sure look like inverted shocks, and bilstein inverted shocks have internal bump stops. You do not add any bump stops or you lose suspension travel and ride like crap.

oh well. But I do recommend you call bilstein right away and ask if these part numbers are INVERTED shocks with internal bump stops. AFAIK, these sure look like inverted shocks, and bilstein inverted shocks have internal bump stops. You do not add any bump stops or you lose suspension travel and ride like crap.

Ahem, good point. Yup, they are inverted ("upside-down"). Completely spaced on that, even after mentioning that I made the stops fit. Duh, I even tossed them a few years back, adding Billies to another car.
Let me move the dust-boot down and cut the stops out.

Rides very nice btw. 20miles of curvy backroads this afternoon and home on the HWY. Feels firmer than what I would expect in a factory-new Mazda5 but not uncomfortable.
Did not hit any bumpstops yet *g

Very happy overall.

Last edited:
Back