Off Topic: All 2015 NISSAN ROGUES RECALLED!!

Buzzer777

:
Mazda,CX-5, AWD,2015 Grand Touring, Meteor Gray Mica
Apparently there is a possibility of the transmission being able to be shifted WITHOUT the brake pedal being depressed!
That's right, the report I saw said ALL 2015 Rogues!

An ugly one if true! And to think the Rogue was on my short list last year! That CVT dissuaded me from considering it further.

OMG!!!! Every car up until the stupid Audi flap could be shifted into gear without putting your foot on the brake. It's not necessary unless you're stupid.

Same here. When my wife was car shopping a few months ago, I eliminated any vehicle with CVT from her list.

Why? I want to know for self education purposes. What I read is that the modern CVT are really good.

Recalls can happen anywhere. Just because cx-5 hasn't seen very few, doesn't mean it won't eventually. Mazda 3's built from late April until August of this year were recalled due to faulty fuel shut off valves. We bought a 3 this year that was built one week before the start of that.

I've been reading on some of the Subaru forums that owners with CVT's are slowly starting to report problems as they get up in mileage. Some are just torque converter issues (which can be fixed relatively easy), but there have been a few with problems with the CVT itself, that claim they have been advised to replace them rather than try to have them rebuilt .......to the tune of $8-9K! (omg). Don't really know the extent of this as people with problems will always make the most noise on the forums, even if they are just isolated incidents, but they sure do draw attention.

I've owned two vehicles with CVT's (2011 Outback, my CX-5's predecessor and currently a 2013 Impreza Sport Wagon) and never had a CVT whimper out of either of them. Methinks you're gonna see them (CVT trannies) become more numerous as the manufacturers seek to squeeze out as much mpg's as possible to meet fleet regulations.

I've been reading on some of the Subaru forums that owners with CVT's are slowly starting to report problems as they get up in mileage. Some are just torque converter issues (which can be fixed relatively easy), but there have been a few with problems with the CVT itself, that claim they have been advised to replace them rather than try to have them rebuilt .......to the tune of $8-9K! (omg). Don't really know the extent of this as people with problems will always make the most noise on the forums, even if they are just isolated incidents, but they sure do draw attention.

I've owned two vehicles with CVT's (2011 Outback, my CX-5's predecessor and currently a 2013 Impreza Sport Wagon) and never had a CVT whimper out of either of them. Methinks you're gonna see them (CVT trannies) become more numerous as the manufacturers seek to squeeze out as much mpg's as possible to meet fleet regulations.

Replacing a skyactiv AT is probably 8-9k. And most serious problems so far are recommending replace vs. rebuild. However, not many of these transmissions are outside of the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty so not enough data on how the rebuild market will be there for them, if there is one.

Replacing a skyactiv AT is probably 8-9k. And most serious problems so far are recommending replace vs. rebuild. However, not many of these transmissions are outside of the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty so not enough data on how the rebuild market will be there for them, if there is one.

One reason I plan to change fluid at 25-30K miles. A small maintenance price to gamble it will increase reliability. The indelible mark it left on me as a young man to experience a failure of an AT when I could least afford it.

Why? I want to know for self education purposes. What I read is that the modern CVT are really good.

Well, this will probably be considered a weak response since I have never owned a car with a CVT tranny. But if I remember correctly, the Nissan CVTs were having problems. I think there was another manufacturer that was having problems but I don't remember who. Also my impression of them from owners on various forums is that they weren't very fun to drive. So for what that's worth, right or wrong, I steered my wife away from them. Your mileage may vary. :)

With a CVT the engine rpm is not closely related to the car speed, it is more related to the throttle position. This leaves some with a less direct feeling of control while driving. It also is described by many as droneing as the engine seems to stay at the same speed while the car speeds up and down...

With a CVT the engine rpm is not closely related to the car speed, it is more related to the throttle position. This leaves some with a less direct feeling of control while driving. It also is described by many as droneing as the engine seems to stay at the same speed while the car speeds up and down...

I got a much better feeling of a CVT from your description, and I've never driven one. But my feeling based on your response is that, please Mazda do not bring that junk over to your line of vehicles. It just seems so unnatural and if someone wants to feel as connected to their car and the road as possible, a CVT is not the answer. But I know that's not why they use them. Gotta inflate those gas mileage ratings as much as possible.

Most likely not... for example a pulled cx-5 AWD transmission assembly runs ~$1500, that's basically the front area of the trans, if you have an issue with the rear diff it shouldn't run more than $1000. If that $1500 doesn't include the front transfer case (would be odd) then that runs about $800.I would expect maybe 3k with labour if someon1 had some type of front transmission issue, cheaper for wrong wheel drive

Okay, took 2 spins. (a) CVT equipped Honda CRV. 1st. thing I noticed is that the engine revs up and then the car accelerates. Perceptible delay felt. Next, the car at speed X or higher Y, the engine revs the same! Amazing and slightly disconcerting.
(b) Drove Porche Macan. That's a F@#@K@# beast of a car, in terms of handling. It's got something called PDT transmission and it's real fast switching but does so at high rpm. very well connected.

At the end, if I do intend to step up from my CX-5, I guess it'll be Macan. Oh - the one I drove had something (package) called torque vectoring, which only if you drive and turn at +65 mph thru a ramp - you'll feel it. Real great, its as if super glue on the tires....

Most likely not... for example a pulled cx-5 AWD transmission assembly runs ~$1500, that's basically the front area of the trans, if you have an issue with the rear diff it shouldn't run more than $1000. If that $1500 doesn't include the front transfer case (would be odd) then that runs about $800.I would expect maybe 3k with labour if someon1 had some type of front transmission issue, cheaper for wrong wheel drive

In another thread someone posted a link to a new crate transmission that was a few grand.

Back