License Plate Mounting

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5
Went to put new sticker on my license plate today and was surprised to see when I took tag off that it mounts directly against the paint, no rubber bumpers like on most of my previous cars. This is going to rub the paint big time. Would advise adding rubber sided tape or whatever to back of plate to prevent rubbing.

I added some adhesive 1/4" plastic bumpers to my rear tag (and used some SS screws in place of the OE ones). I was surprised that there are only two mounting screws on the plates. The front mount is especially flimsy, so I bough a thin metal frame to keep the plate from looking all twisted and caddywhopmus. Cheap CUV is cheap.

It's a growing trend with the new cars now, it all about cutting unnecessary cost these days.

I was concerned about the metal plate marring the paint on the rear hatch so I picked up one of these -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Has a foam strip that adheres to the back of the plate so there is no metal to metal contact, and the frame is rigid enough so it doesn't bend when tightened down. Works like a charm!

Just ordered one, thanks. Just thankful we don't have to have front plates here in NC

Just ordered one, thanks. Just thankful we don't have to have front plates here in NC

Please tell me you didn't just order a $35 license plate frame?

$4 in any auto parts store and foam rubber strips at Home Depot like $2 bucks.

Believe it or not those are Illegal in New York. It only seems to come up when you are stopped for something else and then the police can't find anything wrong. I know two people who have been ticked for them.

Believe it or not those are Illegal in New York. It only seems to come up when you are stopped for something else and then the police can't find anything wrong. I know two people who have been ticked for them.

I think they are only illegal if they cover any portion of the plate with the state name or the actual numbers.

I think they are only illegal if they cover any portion of the plate with the state name or the actual numbers.

In New York it is illegal to obstruct the view of any letters or numbers including "Empire State" (We wouldn't want anyone to miss that in case we find someone who knows what it means.)
The Zoom Zoom frame could get you a ticket here. OK, to be fair, Driving stopping, or parking in any city in New York could get you a ticket.

When I bought my CX-5 and went to put plates on it, I noticed the screws were not raised and no way to keep plate from scraping paint. I went back to the dealer and he said CX-5 are supposed to come with double back tape in glove box for the plate. He installed the double back tape behind license plate for me.

True that but I really like the looks of the one on Amazon and I do not like providing free advertising for the dealer.

Plus, my previous car was a BMW. $35 for a license plate holder aint nothing

Last edited:
When I bought my CX-5 and went to put plates on it, I noticed the screws were not raised and no way to keep plate from scraping paint. I went back to the dealer and he said CX-5 are supposed to come with double back tape in glove box for the plate. He installed the double back tape behind license plate for me.

Thanks, I'll check my glove box when I get home

I had rubber tape on the bottom of my plate from transferring off the trade-in. Are we saying that the top of the plate is mounted directly against the metal? If so, mine is pretty snug and I'll need to put some rubber tape up top too.

Went to put new sticker on my license plate today and was surprised to see when I took tag off that it mounts directly against the paint, no rubber bumpers like on most of my previous cars. This is going to rub the paint big time. Would advise adding rubber sided tape or whatever to back of plate to prevent rubbing.
I just reuse dealer's plastic plate they put on the new cars as a big gasket in between license plate and paint. Perfect fit and excellent protection to paint.

I bought a black flexible soft rubber license plate frame from Walmart for only $4.92. They had black or pink in store. Pep Boys also sells it.
It stretches around your plate and keeps it from touching the car or making any rattling noise. Its sort of like those silicone rubber bumpers that stretch around your cell phone. Nice clean look. I also like that's its narrow, thin, and doesn't cover up any wording on the plate.
WL170-E1_1.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a black soft rubber license plate frame from Walmart for only $4.92. They had black or pink in store. It stretches around your plate and keeps it from touching the car or making any noise. Its sort of like those silicone rubber bumpers that stretch over your cell phone. Nice clean look. I like that's its narrow, thin, and doesn't cover up any wording on the plate.
WL170-E1_1.jpg

Or these

il_570xN.292084419.jpg

And of course I got the plate and it's illegal as heck, totally covers the NorthCarolina on the plate. Guess I'll go back to original frame use the tape

Actually those zoom-zoom brushed plates pretty much run about $30 in black or silver, wherever you source them.

NY Trouble...

In New York it is illegal to obstruct the view of any letters or numbers including "Empire State" (We wouldn't want anyone to miss that in case we find someone who knows what it means.)
The Zoom Zoom frame could get you a ticket here. OK, to be fair, Driving stopping, or parking in any city in New York could get you a ticket.

Almost anything you do in (evil) NY might get one into trouble. (five-0)

Of course, NY is a good place to be from... as far from as one can get! (getout)

CX5T Lover

Back