New to Site. 2016 CX5 at top of my shopping list

cx5ryan

:
2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T
Hello,

My name is Ryan. I am new to the site. I have actually never owned a Mazda in my life (35 years old) lol. So this CX5 will be the first.

I am nearing the end of my lease with my 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T, and am looking for a small suv with good fuel economy for commuting to work and just being an everyday car. I have a 4 year old son, so SUV makes sense on many fronts. But I also like the higher seating level, i find its easier on my back than lower to the ground cars. ... My GF has a 2015 Honda CRV, so i have gotten used to that car highth. In fact i have been using it for my 25 minute (each way) commute to work a decent amount lately because I have to keep my miles down at this point in my lease. .. I enjoy the car, but like the styling of the CX5 more. I have test drove the 16 Grand Touring and everything was smooth driving. I liked the infotainment system also. ... I will probably be getting the touring with the 2.5L.

anway, enough rambling from me. not sure if i even posted this in the right place. lol ... but i am hear to learn more about this car.

Thanks!

I highly recommend the CX5. The CX5 is my first Mazda as well and so far I am very happy. The CX5 has an even higher ground clearance than the CRV, not to mention better handling and driving dynamics. Which I'm sure you picked up on in the test drive lol And yeah, the looks of the CX5 trump the competition imo. Well, the new Tucson does give it a run for the money but for SUV/CUVs in this price range, there is no better driving machine than the CX5. Good luck in your purchase. Be sure to check out the sticky at the top to see what everyone is paying these days for the CX5.

I noticed you test drove the GT but will be buying the Touring most likely. Any particular reason why? Either way, you'll love the cx5 if choose to get one!

I highly recommend the CX5. The CX5 is my first Mazda as well and so far I am very happy. The CX5 has an even higher ground clearance than the CRV, not to mention better handling and driving dynamics. Which I'm sure you picked up on in the test drive lol And yeah, the looks of the CX5 trump the competition imo. Well, the new Tucson does give it a run for the money but for SUV/CUVs in this price range, there is no better driving machine than the CX5. Good luck in your purchase. Be sure to check out the sticky at the top to see what everyone is paying these days for the CX5.

I noticed you test drove the GT but will be buying the Touring most likely. Any particular reason why? Either way, you'll love the cx5 if choose to get one!
thanks for the comment. i can see the enthusiasm you have for this car!

I was getting my car serviced at the Ford dealer next to the Mazda dealer about a month ago. i decided to stop over there and test drive the mazda 3 hatchback and the cx5. I sat in the cx3 but felt it was a little to narrow in the seat for me, so i didn't drive it. .... I first drove the 3, thought it drove well, but it must have been the 2.0l because it didn't seem to have as much power as i anticipated, but it was nice. ... then i sat in the cx5 and it just felt right. very comfortable. I first drove the base model with a manual transmission. I soon realized i don't want to have to shift all the time, its fun for a while, but in the long run , not for me at this point in my life. ........... Then i sat in the GT , or what i thought was the GT. it could have been a touring looking back, but it had sun roof and leather. no nav. ... i drove that car around and i instantly liked it! ... it was a short test drive though, and i knew i have some time left before i am ready to turn my lease in and purchase the new car. so i thought i would take some time to learn more about the car through research and understand engines, etc.

now as far as why i think i want the touring. well i know i want the sun roof, not really sure if i need leather, i know i want the 2.5L engine. but still want to keep my cost down as much as possible. but i have much more research to do. and i think this site is going to help a ton. ....... I also just found out last week that my work has this VIP pricing system setup through them. I believe it is something like 4% under invoice. So that has got me back into looking into this cx5 strongly. i was considering a couple other cars too.

CX-5 is one the best compact CUVs you can find in this class. It has improved quality and reliability and excellent fuel economy for a CUV. If you can live with some deficiencies such as no memory seat, no rear AC vents, and lack of interior color choices, you won't regret the decision for a CX-5. The LED lighting with AFS is a must so make sure to check into the Tech Package.

BTW, you can also check out the new CX-3. The only drawback is the space in the rear seating area and truck is small. But it's a smaller CUV hence you'll get even better fuel economy with nimble handling. It's cheaper but has better Bose sound system with tweeters and subwoofer where CX-5 lacks of.

yeah, i think your right on that tech package. i will look into that a little more. i need to have LEDs for sure. i want sunroof and maybe the bose too. ... the cx3 felt a little narrow, maybe even tighter than the mazda 3 when i sat inside. but i didn't give it much time and or much of a chance. so i might check it out again a little bit before pulling the trigger. ... but the cx5 definitely seems like the car for me. fits really all of my needs. .... thank you

CX-5 is one the best compact CUVs you can find in this class. It has improved quality and reliability and excellent fuel economy for a CUV. If you can live with some deficiencies such as no memory seat, no rear AC vents, and lack of interior color choices, you won't regret the decision for a CX-5. The LED lighting with AFS is a must so make sure to check into the Tech Package.

BTW, you can also check out the new CX-3. The only drawback is the space in the rear seating area and trunk are small. But it's a smaller CUV hence you'll get even better fuel economy with nimble handling. It's cheaper but has better Bose sound system with tweeters and subwoofer where CX-5 lacks.

Last edited:
I weighed similar options as you switching from a sedan to CUV. My back also drove me to needing a more upright / higher sitting position and I was deciding between the CR-V and CX-5. I had always been a Honda fan, but like a few others on the forum, made the Mazda decision based upon the positive auto reviews and opinions / posts offered on this site (lots of great content in these threads). There is really one thing I am still getting used to after four weeks into owning a 2016 GT (no tech) - the leather seats are a bit firm. I sat in my brother's Mercedes CLA with their fake leather last night and even that felt a bit softer and more cushioned to me. I'm optimistic that it will either break in over time, or that my body will adjust.

Side note - the mods for the CX-5 look great. I am neither handy nor adventurous enough to attempt many. That said, I noticed that there isn't a cover to the dead pedal. There is at least one great DIY option if this is important to you (it is to me living in Upstate NY).

Good luck with your shopping and decision!

I shopped the market for similar CUVs. Mazda won, mainly Looks Value, 'peppiness.'

My only compliant is the location of the fuel tank door release. I like to pop it as I'm pulling in, and it's currently in a really inconvenient place for it. (yes I'm nitpicking)

I love it. Sometimes I hate driving manual and my wife's car is a nice break.

yeah, i think your right on that tech package. i will look into that a little more. i need to have LEDs for sure. i want sunroof and maybe the bose too. ... the cx3 felt a little narrow, maybe even tighter than the mazda 3 when i sat inside. but i didn't give it much time and or much of a chance. so i might check it out again a little bit before pulling the trigger. ... but the cx5 definitely seems like the car for me. fits really all of my needs. .... thank you
According to your preference a CX-5 Touring with Tech Package and Moonroof/Bose Package (required for Tech Pkg.) is a perfect choice for you.

you might want to continue looking and finalizing what you want for a few months
the 2017's 'should' be out around march if mazda follows their early release program (early vs most mfg's who wait until aug or so)

all sorts of ideas, hopes, wishes, and prayers about what 2017's will have (personally feel they won't be much, if at all, different than 2016 but you never know)

so there might be some changes, or worst case you get a very good price, financing, incentives as dealers want to clear the 2016's off lot - at the risk of fewer colour, option choices of course

Speaking for myself (and a lot of other current CX-5 owners), we wanted to avoid the expense/lack of tire selection and less compliant ride of the 19" GT wheels. I wouldn't have minded having heated leather seats but, for me, the hassle and expense of changing wheels out wasn't worth it.

That said, some dealers are willing to do a straight across trade if you want a GT with the 17" wheels. I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

Love the 19" wheels myself and am very satisfied with the ride. Local discount tire offers several replacement options

Thanks for the info. I defo want the tech package. and i think the bose and sun roof package.

BTW, you can also check out the new CX-3. The only drawback is the space in the rear seating area and trunk are small. But it's a smaller CUV hence you'll get even better fuel economy with nimble handling. It's cheaper but has better Bose sound system with tweeters and subwoofer where CX-5 lacks.
I sat in the cx 3 at the dealership (they only had 1 there) it felt a little narrow around my legs. I like a little room to stretch out a bit there. .... but i can't count it out. i'm sure its a good car.

I weighed similar options as you switching from a sedan to CUV. My back also drove me to needing a more upright / higher sitting position and I was deciding between the CR-V and CX-5. I had always been a Honda fan, but like a few others on the forum, made the Mazda decision based upon the positive auto reviews and opinions / posts offered on this site (lots of great content in these threads). There is really one thing I am still getting used to after four weeks into owning a 2016 GT (no tech) - the leather seats are a bit firm. I sat in my brother's Mercedes CLA with their fake leather last night and even that felt a bit softer and more cushioned to me. I'm optimistic that it will either break in over time, or that my body will adjust.

Side note - the mods for the CX-5 look great. I am neither handy nor adventurous enough to attempt many. That said, I noticed that there isn't a cover to the dead pedal. There is at least one great DIY option if this is important to you (it is to me living in Upstate NY).

Good luck with your shopping and decision!
Thanks for the input Nubbers! ... i had a commute of 50 minutes each way to work today with the 2015 Honda CRV EX (usually only a 25 min commute each way)... and i must admit my GFs new car is everything a CUV should be about. I have no complaints really. but i do find that honda and toyota produce simple vehicles that are meant to last a long time. there is a little bit of a no frills feel to it. and that is good and bad. ... but the cx5 really screams more of a style and driving experience i'm looking for. plus i can't have 2 crv's in the drive way. LOL .... but i agree, my thoughts about getting the new 2016 honda civic are being decided by the fears of my back getting into that low seat in and out every day. .... so the cx5 is my first suv/cuv choice. ...

I shopped the market for similar CUVs. Mazda won, mainly Looks Value, 'peppiness.'

My only compliant is the location of the fuel tank door release. I like to pop it as I'm pulling in, and it's currently in a really inconvenient place for it. (yes I'm nitpicking)

I love it. Sometimes I hate driving manual and my wife's car is a nice break.
thanks for the input. and i hear you about fuel tank doors. ... thats really one of my only complaints about my 13 fusion. it has a capless tank fill up thingy. and it is impossible to leave the fuel pump in on auto. i literally have to hold it in deeply to get it to fill up each time. so annoying as you can imagine.

According to your preference a CX-5 Touring with Tech Package and Moonroof/Bose Package (required for Tech Pkg.) is a perfect choice for you.
I agree 100%! .... thats exactly what i want. ... and my employee pricing coupon came from mazda today. i get something close to 4% off invoice. ... my company does much of the mazda financing ( i coincidentally found out recently) .... i spoke to a local dealer , he says his store honors it and said if i'm going to go Touring with Tech package and moonroof/bose package, then i might as well go for grand touring. i told him i would do some research and get back to him ... what are your thoughts on that?

thanks

you might want to continue looking and finalizing what you want for a few months
the 2017's 'should' be out around march if mazda follows their early release program (early vs most mfg's who wait until aug or so)

all sorts of ideas, hopes, wishes, and prayers about what 2017's will have (personally feel they won't be much, if at all, different than 2016 but you never know)

so there might be some changes, or worst case you get a very good price, financing, incentives as dealers want to clear the 2016's off lot - at the risk of fewer colour, option choices of course
thanks for the input. your probably right. my logical thought is to wait and play it smart. you know, let the deal come to me. lol .... but its hard when im ready to make a move sooner than later. haha.

Speaking for myself (and a lot of other current CX-5 owners), we wanted to avoid the expense/lack of tire selection and less compliant ride of the 19" GT wheels. I wouldn't have minded having heated leather seats but, for me, the hassle and expense of changing wheels out wasn't worth it.

That said, some dealers are willing to do a straight across trade if you want a GT with the 17" wheels. I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

Love the 19" wheels myself and am very satisfied with the ride. Local discount tire offers several replacement options
i hear ya. .. for me i'm at a point/age in my life where i don't want to have to do to many modifications. wheels etc. but i do like the look of the 19s , they do seem to fit the wheel well nice. and i'm glad that they are stock. ... but i'm sure mpg suffers, and ride quality. but i am curious to see what that feels like. and ofcourse, worst case i can go back to 18s or 17s. .

I deliberately elected NOT to get the 19s....2" is a significant price jump for tires. That being said, the 19s are quite attractive. Try to get the roof rails. My opinion (and you know what they say about them) the CX-5 looks like something is missing without it.

Smooth driving eh...

Hello,

My name is Ryan. I am new to the site. I have actually never owned a Mazda in my life (35 years old) lol. So this CX5 will be the first.

I am nearing the end of my lease with my 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T, and am looking for a small suv with good fuel economy for commuting to work and just being an everyday car. I have a 4 year old son, so SUV makes sense on many fronts. But I also like the higher seating level, i find its easier on my back than lower to the ground cars. ... My GF has a 2015 Honda CRV, so i have gotten used to that car highth. In fact i have been using it for my 25 minute (each way) commute to work a decent amount lately because I have to keep my miles down at this point in my lease. .. I enjoy the car, but like the styling of the CX5 more. I have test drove the 16 Grand Touring and everything was smooth driving. I liked the infotainment system also. ... I will probably be getting the touring with the 2.5L.

anway, enough rambling from me. not sure if i even posted this in the right place. lol ... but i am hear to learn more about this car.

Thanks!

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forum.

if you like the styling, drive it again and this time, try to get a feel for how well it handles for a CUV (or against most other SUVs or even cars!). At 35 yrs old, I would bet that you missed the "drive for fun" time period. That was when gas was 35 cents a gallon and you could perform almost all service that a car needed! There were no computers and timing was managed by mechanical points and condenser! As far an infotainment went, FM radio was pretty new in cars and Reverberation units were state of the art! (8-track tapes were soon to follow)

Well, Mazda has pretty much achieved the unthinkable in this day and age...they put the fun back into driving...mazdaspeak= ZOOM ZOOM!! (whistle)

I am 68 and like you had never driven a Mazda until last year...but am old enough to remember sports cars and brute force speed as in Pontiac GTO and the Olds 4-4-2! Well, CX-5s are not considered fast, but can really hang in twists!!! (and then hold on to your shorts!)
Never thought I would ever be able to recapture a Fun Drive until last April. Drove a GT and never looked back...

The Touring is a great choice since you do not have to get the 19" wheels while keeping most other great options. I bought a 2015 at models end last year for various personal reasons. Aside from the fun and practical matter, the CX-5 retains a top notch safety rating!

Also this is a great forum for just plain learning about these fine vehicles, and its members are a great bunch!
Do enjoy!!
Good Luck!!

Last edited:
thanks for the input. your probably right. my logical thought is to wait and play it smart. you know, let the deal come to me. lol .... but its hard when im ready to make a move sooner than later. haha. .
yeah, tough to wait when you waaaaaaant one now LOL
we started looking in early april, went back a few times for more test drives, kept an eye on the various incentives etc
hated the waiting, waiting, waiting

stayed with the Touring plus the luxury pkg options (mazda packages them differently to us Eskimos), didn't particularly like the 19" ride, plus winter tires/wheels (pretty much required here) better at 17" for pricing/availability (although lots of GT owners get the smaller wheelsfor winter)

pulled the trigger when our sales rep told us only 2 vehicles left in their inventory that matched what we wanted
so went in and hassled a bit, left on a thursday with a comeback price from dealer only good through weekend (end of May)
got what we wanted on the saturday when they also happened to have a spin & win promo going on (if you buy, you get to do the vanna white thing for various prizes)

ended up paying pretty much what we wanted - gave a little, took a little - and wifey spun the wheel to win a 42" SMART Tv ($500 value)

regardless of price, options etc - if it's the vehicle you want - go for it when it's best for you - a few $$ here and there is nothing in the long run

...Try to get the roof rails. My opinion (and you know what they say about them) the CX-5 looks like something is missing without it.
ditto - the rails really add to the looks, too bad they only come in bleah silver
looking at plasti-dip or powder coating them black in the spring

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

Anyone knows what is the best OTD price in this year end time for CX5-Touring-AWD-RED ( without tech or bose package ) ?
Planning to get new CX-5 . So I would like to know what is the best rate of this month so that I can plan accordingly

Hi Ryan and welcome to the forum.

if you like the styling, drive it again and this time, try to get a feel for how well it handles for a CUV (or against most other SUVs or even cars!). At 35 yrs old, I would bet that you missed the "drive for fun" time period. That was when gas was 35 cents a gallon and you could perform almost all service that a car needed! There were no computers and timing was managed by mechanical points and condenser! As far an infotainment went, FM radio was pretty new in cars and Reverberation units were state of the art! (8-track tapes were soon to follow)

Well, Mazda has pretty much achieved the unthinkable in this day and age...they put the fun back into driving...mazdaspeak= ZOOM ZOOM!! (whistle)

I am 68 and like you had never driven a Mazda until last year...but am old enough to remember sports cars and brute force speed as in Pontiac GTO and the Olds 4-4-2! Well, CX-5s are not considered fast, but can really hang in twists!!! (and then hold on to your shorts!)
Never thought I would ever be able to recapture a Fun Drive until last April. Drove a GT and never looked back...

The Touring is a great choice since you do not have to get the 19" wheels while keeping most other great options. I bought a 2015 at models end last year for various personal reasons. Aside from the fun and practical matter, the CX-5 retains a top notch safety rating!

Also this is a great forum for just plain learning about these fine vehicles, and its members are a great bunch!
Do enjoy!!
Good Luck!!
yeah, i agree. It really seems like Mazda is making a strong push for being one of the top mid range brands. doing well with the mazda 3, and the cx5. my co worker has a new mazda 6 and loves it too.

and this site has been great to help me with info and point me in the right direction. i love your enthusiasm too.

as far as the older stuff, 8 tracks was a little before my time. but i remember my dad had a few older ones. lol ... and he had a GTO when he was in highschool ! haha.

thanks for the info!

yeah, tough to wait when you waaaaaaant one now LOL
we started looking in early april, went back a few times for more test drives, kept an eye on the various incentives etc
hated the waiting, waiting, waiting

stayed with the Touring plus the luxury pkg options (mazda packages them differently to us Eskimos), didn't particularly like the 19" ride, plus winter tires/wheels (pretty much required here) better at 17" for pricing/availability (although lots of GT owners get the smaller wheelsfor winter)

pulled the trigger when our sales rep told us only 2 vehicles left in their inventory that matched what we wanted
so went in and hassled a bit, left on a thursday with a comeback price from dealer only good through weekend (end of May)
got what we wanted on the saturday when they also happened to have a spin & win promo going on (if you buy, you get to do the vanna white thing for various prizes)

ended up paying pretty much what we wanted - gave a little, took a little - and wifey spun the wheel to win a 42" SMART Tv ($500 value)

regardless of price, options etc - if it's the vehicle you want - go for it when it's best for you - a few $$ here and there is nothing in the long run

ditto - the rails really add to the looks, too bad they only come in bleah silver
looking at plasti-dip or powder coating them black in the spring
wow thats cool that you guys won a tv too. .... and yeah, waiting is hard. but i guess good things come to those who wait. :)

Hi Friends,

Anyone knows what is the best OTD price in this year end time for CX5-Touring-AWD-RED ( without tech or bose package ) ?
Planning to get new CX-5 . So I would like to know what is the best rate of this month so that I can plan accordingly
check truecar in the meantime.

If the rails add so much to the looks (obviously do not for me), then why on the official Mazda site is the lead car soul red without rails? (bird) I also think the 19 inch wheels add more to the look than the rails and they are just fine for handling/body roll on twisty roads.

sorry, next time i'll add IMHFO to my comments :)
and i guess that would apply to your comment about the 19" wheels

Back