electronic e-brake malfunction

Abbie Normal

:
2016 CX-5 GT/Tech
Went to go out and the parking brake light is illuminated,red brake light flashes and the e-brake switch flashes.it wasn't engaged when I parked and it doesn't seem to have the brakes locked.looks like it's going to the dealership first thing Monday morning :-(

Yes,I just found that article too,just hoping it's an easy quick fix.i thought maybe driving it around a bit might warm things up and clear the issue.....nope. :-(

Went to go out and the parking brake light is illuminated,red brake light flashes and the e-brake switch flashes.it wasn't engaged when I parked and it doesn't seem to have the brakes locked.looks like it's going to the dealership first thing Monday morning :-(

I've seen many cars with parking brakes locked due to freezing. Generally they are fixed by pissing on the wheel/brake assembly. But in this case it might be hard to correctly aim a stream of piss to the affected component. Sounds like a dealer job to me!

Well went out again to see if I could access any info via the infotainment unit and apparently it fixed itself,but it's still going to the dealership based on the oemdtc.com link

Lol Mike,nothing was locked or even dragging,I did take it for a bit of a drive to check.*no urination needed,after all its not a Chevy.

Well went out again to see if I could access any info via the infotainment unit and apparently it fixed itself,but it's still going to the dealership based on the oemdtc.com link
The TSB:

"COMPLAINT:

In cold weather conditions of approx. -4 to 14 degrees F (-20 to -10 degrees C), some vehicles can exhibit the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) warning light on with one or more of the following DTCs present.

This condition occurs when pressing the EPB switch to release the electric parking brake, however, the EPB will not release.

This concern may be caused by the EPB motor gear unit (A) dimensions being out of specification.

The machining dimensions of EPB motor gear unit have been improved to eliminate this concern.
"

You had opposite symptoms than the TSB described. Hopefully you'll get a new and improved EPB motor gear to eliminate your problem. I wish I can get a new and improved EPB motor gear here as I don't want to get stuck in the cold weather!

Mazda really should step up to have a recall on this as -4 to 14 F weather has happened many times before in North Texas, not to mention other colder areas in the US!

Interestingly I'm going in next week for another opposite symptoms from the engine oil flexible maintenance TSB.

One step forward..TWO steps back!

It can get down to -40c here,which I think is -40 f too.they better feckin fixit.

The EPB on the 2016 CX-5 was a reason that I chose to buy a 2015, with the pull up manual parking brake. (It was only one of a few reasons). I owned a 2013 Subaru Outback that had the ECB, and it also malfunctioned on me. Had it not been under warranty, it would have cost a fortune to repair. It's not that I don't want the latest and greatest...It is just that I am concerned about complexities (as well as increased failures) in some of the new stuff!
It seems as though some of these steps "forward" are poorly thought out, at best...or strictly an effort to "keep up". Sometimes it is better to just leave it on the drawing board for another year to get the kinks out!

Sometimes it is better to just leave it on the drawing board for another year to get the kinks out!

You're never going to get the kinks out unless you apply the technology to real world driving. You can test all you want in facilities and try to simulate real life as much as possible, but as with any piece of technology, putting it in the hands of real drivers will give you the best idea of what works and what doesn't.

The drawing board...

You're never going to get the kinks out unless you apply the technology to real world driving. You can test all you want in facilities and try to simulate real life as much as possible, but as with any piece of technology, putting it in the hands of real drivers will give you the best idea of what works and what doesn't.

In GENERAL, I agree with you except for situations that should have become obvious ie: operating in freezing temperatures...We are not talking about strange or rare occurrences where defects only manifest themselves AFTER a period of testing by the manufacturer under real life as well as "laboratory" testing, or a minute percentage of parts fail after XXX miles/months. Additionally a good bit of today's testing is done outside of controlled conditions for exactly the reasons you state.

Many of the failures of today are simply a result of a "rush to market" thinking or "Don't worry, a small number of failures will cost less than a complete testing/repair regimen". (I THINK THAT COMES UNDER THE HEADING OF LOSS PREVENTION"). Having run several divisions of NYSE companies, I can say honestly that I was sometimes guilty of this type of thinking in pursuit of the almighty Bottom line".

Many of these failures result in only inconvenience, while some of them result in accidents and loss of life...(Can we say GM!).

Yeah you make some good points. And i agree, mamy things are rushed now a days. Gotta be the first. But it seems like EPB has been around for a little bit so don't think Mazda was rushing to try and be first.

One that comes to mind is antennagate with one of the iphones. How'd that not come up in testing? Lol

This is why I will be buying my 2015 Touring at the end of it's lease period. I prefer a real emergency brake that I control.

Still happy with my OLD FASHIONED PARKING BRAKE!

This is why I will be buying my 2015 Touring at the end of it's lease period. I prefer a real emergency brake that I control.

Yeah...I can still remember the day the Subaru EPB did not release...Ugggh...nightmare it was between a 15 mile tow + time at the dealer, then parts... I guess it makes it worse when the vehicle is new (which it was).

If I recall, an EPB is nothing more than the ole cable + rear braking system + ELECTRIC MOTOR TO OPERATE THE CABLE?
My 2015 seems to have just the right mix for me...HIDs + old fashioned Parking Brake, old fashioned cruise control + some of the newer stuff... LOL

I have had mechanical parking brakes freeze (once). No big deal, fifteen seconds to reach under the vehicle and tug the cable a time or two. I would be really pissed to get stranded by e-parking brakes malfunctioning. I'm not even a big fan of their operation (with the manual tranny especially).

Yeah. I think Mazda was silly for an electronic emergency brake. Why fix/change something if it's not broken?

So had it into the dealership and of course there was no code stored in the computer. They said they sent the info of my description to the next level of techs,I doubt anything will happen.Next time this happens I am just going to park it and have it towed to the dealership.:-(

So had it into the dealership and of course there was no code stored in the computer. They said they sent the info of my description to the next level of techs,I doubt anything will happen.Next time this happens I am just going to park it and have it towed to the dealership.:-(
Yeah it would be difficult to get new and improved motor gear unit, and rear brake calipers for the fix of this frozen Electric Parking Brake (EPB) issue. I mentioned this TSB to my dealer when I went in for other issues and the service advisor said unless there are error codes saved otherwise they can't do anything about it. This makes me wonder if we drive our CX-5 to Iowa this winter, I may get stuck due to the potential frozen EPB! I think Mazda should have a recall on this, not to wait until the customers are having issues and then trying to fix it! They'd verified the motor gear unit from early version were made out of specs, they should take responsibility to fix it!

That is a concern for me too. Is there a procedure for manually releasing them (with a tool) or such?

You could carry a chunk of flexible exhaust pipe. Route your exhaust to blow warm air onto the cold brake and warm/thaw it...

Back