CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EVAP and tank pressure issues - where to start

2002 mazda protege 5

Other guys have had their "air filter" (part #6) fill up with gas and they couldn't fill their tank.

Be careful not to overfill your tank... Don't add more than about 50 worth of gas after the handle clicks off or gas will flow down the vent line and fill the "air filter".

The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

97camaroSS e30 318is Spicy #1348

My issue came back. I guess I have to pull it all apart again and make sure I get every single line. It may be the part of the system under the hood? Wouldn't that show up as a code?

Registered Member

97camaroSS e30 318is Spicy #1348

Does the little pin hole above the gas fill up hole go down to the check valve?

Btw, my check has always been clean. The charcoal canister always had some gas in it

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

What's weird is we in Australia don't have that system in the pic below. And there's none of these issues you guys are having!??
    Why is this on the US cars? Our charcoal canister is under the bonnet on the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    O

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by JazzySP20 View Post
    What's weird is we in Australia don't have that system in the pic below. And there's none of these issues you guys are having!??
    Why is this on the US cars? Our charcoal canister is under the bonnet on the firewall.
    We have the charcoal canister under the "bonnet" as well.. They call it the catch tank.

Are you sure you don't have the other components ??

PS.. It's not a bonnet,.. It's a hood,... And we don't have tyres, we have tires... You Aussie's talk all funny !! lol

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

We do have a non return valve which is just a "flapper" that allows gas to go into the tank but not back up to the filler neck.... The flapper can seize and not open and gas can't get into the tank.... One guy removed his so he could fill his tank.

Last edited by pcb; 03-11-2018 at 12:26 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 mazda protege 5

One guy overfilled his gas tank and fuel went backwards down the vent tube and got liquid gas in his EVAP components... He ended up sucking liquid fuel into his catch can under the hood and it was gurgling like a bong.

I'm 98% you should have no liquid gas in the EVAP components.

When you fill your tank, air rushes out of the tank, through the "air filter" and on to the gas filler nozzle.
    When the tank is full, the air stops flowing and that triggers the nozzle to shut off.

If the "air filter" is full of gas, it can't " breathe" so the filler nozzle shuts off... It can't push past the liquid blockage.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by AutoXSS View Post
    My issue came back. I guess I have to pull it all apart again and make sure I get every single line. It may be the part of the system under the hood? Wouldn't that show up as a code?
    You may not get a code...

You may have a faulty "fuel shutoff valve"...
    It may not be closing (or opening??) To stop the flow of air to trigger the gas nozzle at the pump to shut off so you mayb be continually over filling your tank and getting gas over flow to where it shouldn't be ??

That valve is inside the tank and the tank needs to be removed to test it.

I'm just kinda guessing here,..??
    The EVAP / fuel system is a little hard to follow in the manual...
    You may be able to find a workaround like removing that valve in the filler neck. ??
    You may always have liquid gas in your system but it may still work without throwing codes??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12