Dash light illumination not Working

Nascop5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Yes I am aware that there is already a post about this, however there was no real answer to the problem. I accidentally connected the illumination wire in the radio loom to a cam control wire, instead of covering it and putting it away. As a result, my parking lights, tail lights, instrument cluster amber lights, and ac control amber lights do not turn on. I have checked the fuse and replaced it, didn't fix my issue. Checked the tail fuse in the other fusebox next to the engine, nada. Checked the switch, nothing was blown, switch works in a different p5. I have checked the connector that the switch connects to, and using a multimeter I have observed that upon turning the lights on in both sockets it applies .85mv of power when turning the lights on. I noticed that upon tapping the brake pedal this number goes up significantly. What I should do? what are my options? I can't drive at night until this issue is fixed.

Check the dimmer switch. If you've fried that, you won't have cluster or HVAC lights. I'm not sure where/ what else to look at as far as the driving lights are concerned... Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Check your TNS relay.
Check the connector it plugs in to to see if the "BR" terminal is switching on and off with the headlight switch.

Last edited:
Having a bit of difficulty identifying the BR terminal, there are two cables that meet that description. This is all on the underside of the fusebox from the orange connector correct?

So the TNS relay is not at fault, I switched it with the relay for the headlights and the headlights worked just fine. How and what would I need to measure from the Brown cable on the terminal? I can provide pictures for easier responses if needed.

Back