Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry guys, another awd question.

Registered Member

CX-9 GT 2008

Quote Originally Posted by avidien View Post
    so the part laying on the worktable is around $250 USD ?
    No, 250USD is a only work price. (U send him broken part, they are rebuild it and send it back).
    Some people sell already rebuilded part or part from crashed car - price in the Russia around 500-800 USD.

Part from transfer case also can be rebuilded with another 250USD, but buying new transfer case is better.

And another solution from Dagestan. Price for working to rebuild both parts - 500USD.

Registered Member

2013 CX-9 AWD, 2016.5 CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad_spb View Post
    No, 250USD is a only work price. (U send him broken part, they are rebuild it and send it back).
    Some people sell already rebuilded part or part from crashed car - price in the Russia around 500-800 USD.

Part from transfer case also can be rebuilded with another 250USD, but buying new transfer case is better.

And another solution from Dagestan. Price for working to rebuild both parts - 500USD.

Anyone like myself wondering if it's the transmission spines design itself that's inadequate causing premature failure of sheared off splines.......

OR

PTU transfer case failure and seizing causing damage to the spines ??

If transfer case failure and transfer case has less than 90,000 miles then Mazda should cover the cost of damaged transmission right ?
    Last edited by batmancx; 01-17-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Registered Member

2010 CX 9 Touring AWD

Batmancx9, here is a recap and update on my situation. 2010 cx-9 74 K miles. In November 2015, I heard the loud clunk and brought it to the dealership. I had read this forum, so I was convinced that my TC had seized. I did not, however, suspect that my transmission splines had also been affected. The dealership could not find any problem, even though I directed them to the TC issues described here. I decided that since I still had a few months remaining on Mazda's extended transfer case warranty, I would watch it closely and bring it back again before the TC warranty expired.

Fast forward to January 2016 - the first sign of snow. I realized that my 4WD wasn't working and I had little traction, I brought it back to the dealership. This time they told me the TC had failed and would be covered my Mazda’s extended warranty on the part. However, the transmission splines were sheared and that was not covered - $4800! I was very calm, but direct with the service manager. I told him that he would have to find a way to work with Mazda to get this covered since they had misdiagnosed this in November AND their defective part had damaged my transmission. I told him that I was holding either Mazda or the dealership responsible for this situation.

Honestly, I was not optimistic that Mazda would come through and that I would have to pay$$$. Low and behold, the service manager convinced his Mazda rep to cover the repairs, including the new (or possibly remanufactured?) transmission. Feeling a bit greedy, I even got them to give me a loaner vehicle while the repairs are being made (waiting a week for the transmission). My car is still there and I expect to get it back later this week. I'll update again when its back.

I am so thankful that this service manager went to bat for me and Mazda did the right thing here. That $4800 would have really put me in a bind. This is no one's fault but Mazda's - plain and simple. They should be recalling this part and covering any transmissions that were affected as a result of it. Unfortunately, until someone is hurt or killed from a fire (it's happened at least twice!) or an accident, I don't expect to see any widespread action. `

Assuming all goes well with the repairs that are currently underway, I plan to use Avidien's method to keep this drivetrain going for a while. I don't think l that I'll be keeping this vehicle for the long haul. I doubt that I'll be as lucky the next time something major goes wrong with it. Perhaps I'll sell it and apply the $4800 that I would have coughed-up to my down payment on a Pilot. Too bad, really, because I think the CX-9 is a much better looking vehicle. But, as we all know, looks aren't everything. Good luck with your drivetrain situations.

Registered Member

thanks rgrisoli for your info, that's super awesome that Mazda will cover your transmission repair!!

per Vlad's posts, seems like our fellow CX-9er's friends in Russia already know about this widespread problem
    and way ahead of the curve and fixing the splines as low as $250 USD instead of replacing the whole transmission.

so far I'm all good at 48,000 miles , I've been following Avidien's procedure also every 6000 miles, swapping out transfer case oil.
    I'm leaning towards (or at least hoping) that it's the TC that seizes and causing the transmission splines damage, not the other way around.

My logic is that if the transmission is the weak link then FWD owners would also be reporting transmission failures but since that's not the case it will be logical to say the transfer cases are seizing due to insufficient lubrication and taking out the transmission splines.

P.S. I've just notice one common theme in Vlad's posts: there is ALWAYS a transfer case failure that accompanies a transmission spline failure. This tells me that the transfer case is the culprit, basically a "cause and effect" situation. So far, I've never heard of stripped splines and a GOOD transfer case, if there is, then we're ALL SCREWED because that means it's an inherent design flaw in the transmission splines BUT good news is I haven't heard or seen any yet.
    Last edited by batmancx; 01-18-2016 at 01:56 PM.

Registered Member

2010 CX 9 Touring AWD

Agreed, from what I've read on this forum, it seems logical that the TC is the weak link and can sometimes result in sheared transmission splines – not the other way around. Just my opinion, but I'm certainly no mechanic.

One thought - it seems to me that the FWD models wouldn't have these splines that lead into the TC. Also, I suspect that when my TC failed in November, the noises that I heard were my splines being sheared. My transmission and vehicle ran fine after that incident, but I realize now that I was basically operating on FWD only. The ONLY thing that I did notice is that it sometimes felt like I was dragging the rear end of the drivetrain a bit. . Like it wasn’t spinning completely freely. Once or twice while driving, I had to look at the emergency brake to see if I had left it slightly depressed - not the case though. My gas mileage definitely decreased. It wasn't until I got into snow and ice that I realized I was only spinning the front wheels.

IDK, you guys who are servicing the TC regularly seem to be having good luck. Maybe I'll hold on to my Mazda after all. Thanks to everyone here for your insight, resourcefulness, and for sharing your knowledge - especially to Avidien for documenting the process. I think I’ll be buying the pump, some bricks and the proper oil. This forum is fantastic!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rgrisoli View Post
    FWD models wouldn't have these splines that lead into the TC.
    Agreed, FWD models won't have the splines, sorry for confusion, I had read something on this forum that a Mazda dealer said a transmission failure caused the transfer case to fail and they would only cover the cost of the transfer case, not the transmission (TOTAL BS !!! if the transmission failed, why can the car still drive normal in FWD mode).

Lord knows how many used AWD CX-9's are on used car lots that are really just FWD ???? anybody looking to buy a used AWD CX-9 better run the transfer case test before buying (post #3 in link): http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...r-awd-question

My thinking was although FWD models won't have the transmission splines; the transmission system itself is still basically the same for both FWD and AWD just the coupling (splines) to the propeller shaft for the AWD version.

So if the CX-9 transmission design is inherently subpar, FWD owners would also be reporting about transmission failures, but this is not the case. Thus, it's logical to conclude that the CX-9 transmission is sound, as you've also proven by (unintentionally and unknowingly) driving in FWD mode for a few months. It's the transfer case causing the spline failures.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrisoli View Post
    IDK, you guys who are servicing the TC regularly seem to be having good luck. Maybe I'll hold on to my Mazda after all. Thanks to everyone here for your insight, resourcefulness, and for sharing your knowledge - especially to Avidien for documenting the process. I think I’ll be buying the pump, some bricks and the proper oil. This forum is fantastic!
    AGREED !! Avidien is da man !! Mazda dealers should take note and offer his procedure as a standard service to their customers.
    Last edited by batmancx; 01-18-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by batmancx View Post
    Lord knows how many used AWD CX-9's are on used car lots that are really just FWD ???? anybody looking to buy a used AWD CX-9 better run the transfer case test before buying (post #3 in link): http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...r-awd-question
    That is my plan hopefully this week. Assuming all is good, I'll begin using the documented process to change out the fluid in the TC after I own it.

Registered Member

2011 CX-9 GS

Well I recently bought a used 2011 CX-9 (without knowing anything about these transfer case issues). After the first bit of snow I now realise AWD not working (front wheel spin and AWD blinks). Take it to the dealership and they say the PTO has failed but is covered under the PTO extended warranty (no charge). All seems great (for the moment).

Just got a call from the dealership saying the transmission splines are stripped. $4,000 for a remanufactures tranny installed. Asked them to hold off on the tranny swap. Now they want to charge me for the time today they spent did/reassembling! They misdiagnosed the problem so I feel I shouldn't have to pay for any labour today.

I would think the splines are probably stripped due to a failed PTO? How else would they be stripped?

I need to confirm with them if the current PTO is still working or not? Anyone have any success having Mazda cover a tranny replacement based on a failed PTO potentially causing the damage? SIGH....

Registered Member

same problem here, now running in fwd. My transfer case looked good when i took it out, it is stiff because the oil is all jammed but otherwise, it still turns. I beleive the splines actually rust and get weak and then they break since the PTO is not harder to turn.

Haven't found a replacement yet for the diff in the tranny

Registered Member

2011 CX-9 GS

Dealer was good enough not to charge me for labour putting the old PTO back in and will still replace the PTO under warranty once I get the tranny fixed.

Tranny shop is estimating almost $3k to replace the tranny splines / differential. :-( They said they are having a hard time sourcing a replacement differential. "Must be a common issue!" :-)

May have to look at a heat shield and the drain plug mod for the PTO once it is out of warranty. I thought I saw a post regarding this but the pics were no longer available. Anyone have any pics / suggestions of either mods?

Registered Member

let us know what they end up doing to fix up the splines.

Registered Member

2011 CX-9 GS

Tranny shop put a new differential in the tranny (splines were stripped in the old one). It cost about $2800 in total. $1,500 in parts. Differential was about $1,300, plus filter, fluids, etc. Labour was about $1,300. The new PTO is installed under warranty. All was good for the weekend.

Heading to work this morning the 4WD light came on steady. I guess I will be heading back to the shop to get it checked. Sigh...... Stay tuned.

Registered Member

2011 CX-9 GS

Got it checked. It was throwing the P1887 code. Sure enough, as per Puma's post below - corroded AWD solenoid wire broken at the grommet/case. Looks like they will have to remove the coupling unit. Hopefully there is enough wire inside to splice a new wire?

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ved&highlight=

Registered Member

where or how did they get a new diff? It says the part can't be purchased at Mazda, non servicable part. If you ever have a part number, please share it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12