Sorry guys, another awd question.

FWD models wouldn't have these splines that lead into the TC.

Agreed, FWD models won't have the splines, sorry for confusion, I had read something on this forum that a Mazda dealer said a transmission failure caused the transfer case to fail and they would only cover the cost of the transfer case, not the transmission (TOTAL BS !!! if the transmission failed, why can the car still drive normal in FWD mode).

Lord knows how many used AWD CX-9's are on used car lots that are really just FWD ???? anybody looking to buy a used AWD CX-9 better run the transfer case test before buying (post #3 in link): http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123852535-Sorry-guys-another-awd-question

My thinking was although FWD models won't have the transmission splines; the transmission system itself is still basically the same for both FWD and AWD just the coupling (splines) to the propeller shaft for the AWD version.

So if the CX-9 transmission design is inherently subpar, FWD owners would also be reporting about transmission failures, but this is not the case. Thus, it's logical to conclude that the CX-9 transmission is sound, as you've also proven by (unintentionally and unknowingly) driving in FWD mode for a few months. It's the transfer case causing the spline failures.

IDK, you guys who are servicing the TC regularly seem to be having good luck. Maybe I'll hold on to my Mazda after all. Thanks to everyone here for your insight, resourcefulness, and for sharing your knowledge - especially to Avidien for documenting the process. I think I’ll be buying the pump, some bricks and the proper oil. This forum is fantastic!

AGREED !! Avidien is da man !! Mazda dealers should take note and offer his procedure as a standard service to their customers.

Last edited:
Well I recently bought a used 2011 CX-9 (without knowing anything about these transfer case issues). After the first bit of snow I now realise AWD not working (front wheel spin and AWD blinks). Take it to the dealership and they say the PTO has failed but is covered under the PTO extended warranty (no charge). All seems great (for the moment).

Just got a call from the dealership saying the transmission splines are stripped. $4,000 for a remanufactures tranny installed. Asked them to hold off on the tranny swap. Now they want to charge me for the time today they spent did/reassembling! They misdiagnosed the problem so I feel I shouldn't have to pay for any labour today.

I would think the splines are probably stripped due to a failed PTO? How else would they be stripped?

I need to confirm with them if the current PTO is still working or not? Anyone have any success having Mazda cover a tranny replacement based on a failed PTO potentially causing the damage? SIGH....

same problem here, now running in fwd. My transfer case looked good when i took it out, it is stiff because the oil is all jammed but otherwise, it still turns. I beleive the splines actually rust and get weak and then they break since the PTO is not harder to turn.

Haven't found a replacement yet for the diff in the tranny

Dealer was good enough not to charge me for labour putting the old PTO back in and will still replace the PTO under warranty once I get the tranny fixed.

Tranny shop is estimating almost $3k to replace the tranny splines / differential. :-( They said they are having a hard time sourcing a replacement differential. "Must be a common issue!" :)

May have to look at a heat shield and the drain plug mod for the PTO once it is out of warranty. I thought I saw a post regarding this but the pics were no longer available. Anyone have any pics / suggestions of either mods?

Tranny shop put a new differential in the tranny (splines were stripped in the old one). It cost about $2800 in total. $1,500 in parts. Differential was about $1,300, plus filter, fluids, etc. Labour was about $1,300. The new PTO is installed under warranty. All was good for the weekend.

Heading to work this morning the 4WD light came on steady. I guess I will be heading back to the shop to get it checked. Sigh...... Stay tuned.

where or how did they get a new diff? It says the part can't be purchased at Mazda, non servicable part. If you ever have a part number, please share it.

Back