Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: It's safe to leave the car charger plugged in right?

Registered Member

Does fusion

It's safe to leave the car charger plugged in right?

Does anyone keep Thier car charger plugged in all
    Time? In my last car I left it plugged in but it only powered on when the car was on. Now since I have the 2016 Mazda 3 it stays on all the time. I just wanna keep it plugged in without a phone connected to it. So when I get into my car I can just take my phone and quickly plug it into the cable. I want to use the car charger becuase it seems to charge my phone faster than the USB connection. Thanks guys

2015 Mazda 3s Touring

You'll be fine. I keep the charger plugged in even when parked for a couple of days without driving it and the car starts without issues. Just the plug itself doesn't draw much current, if any, so that's not an issue.
    2015 Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback 6-speed manual
    2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250
    2008 Toyota RAV4 AWD V6

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Typically, current isn't consumed unless a device is plugged in. For example, (most older vehicles) if you want to leave your trunk open all night, you could remove the bulb and not worry about ending up with a dead battery. Newer vehicles will shut off lights automatically after a period of time.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, Magnaflow)
    2002 Protege ES (Sold for $1700 with 131,000 miles)

2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    Typically, current isn't consumed unless a device is plugged in. For example, (most older vehicles) if you want to leave your trunk open all night, you could remove the bulb and not worry about ending up with a dead battery. Newer vehicles will shut off lights automatically after a period of time.
    hell my old 03 protege 5 would kill all the lights after a short period of time and lock the doors if you unlocked them and never opened one. my newer 08 3 does this as well. mazda is the only car company i know of (until the last few years) that would have the interior lights and/or headlights shut off if left on while car is not running and theyre still the only one i know of that auto relocks the doors if you accidentally unlock them
    Disturbed "is she not right, is she insane?"

2015 Mazda 3s Touring

Quote Originally Posted by kms1990 View Post
    the only one i know of that auto relocks the doors if you accidentally unlock them
    Actually many manufacturers do this and have had that feature for over 10 years. My 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse had it and so did my 2005 Accord, my wife's 2008 RAV4, my 2014 MB CLA, and my 2015 Mazda 3. They will all automatically lock itself if you unlock it without opening any of the doors for 30 seconds.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2015 Mazda 3s Touring

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    Some chargers, such as mine, has a little light on it telling you that it is on so by leaving it plugged in like I do it does draw some current, but certainly not enough to drain the battery a noticable amount even for days.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Does fusion

Yeah it has a little red light indicating that it's on.
    Here it is. What do ya think? http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088U...8YL&ref=plSrch

I usually park my car at home for about 12
    Hours then at work for 8 hours. And drive about 40 min total each day

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring

If you disassemble up the car charger (usually one screw on side plus unscrewing the tip) you will see the LED with a small resistor in parallel to the main circuit . I just cut that out with a small pair of wire cutters, now the LED light lights no more.

Registered Member

Speed3

I don't know about these cars, but I've had a lot of cars that will basically shutoff all auxiliary power if the battery voltage drops below a certain threshold.

Registered Member

BMW

This depend on which kind car charger you bought. If this brand car charger is good enough, there is no problem to leave it. If not, you should pay more attention on this way. Bestek 300w power inverter is the tool for me to charge laptop, camera and phone. I learned how to use Bestek 300w power inverter from its guide. You can learn more detail functions about it on here.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by kms1990 View Post
    hell my old 03 protege 5 would kill all the lights after a short period of time and lock the doors if you unlocked them and never opened one. my newer 08 3 does this as well. mazda is the only car company i know of (until the last few years) that would have the interior lights and/or headlights shut off if left on while car is not running and theyre still the only one i know of that auto relocks the doors if you accidentally unlock them
    It all depends on what you consider is "old". My 1989 Mazda MX6 GT drained its battery a few times over the years because one of the car doors wasn't closed all the way. There was no auto shutoff in that car or my 1973 Mazda RX3, either.