How does Miata hold up as a daily car?

macky7

:
miata
Interested in the Miata/MX-5. As a single man in his 30s, would this be good everyday car to use for work and play?

I can understand this car would often be a weekend car for most people as they will have a much more practical and bigger car to cart themselves around on other days.

I would like to find out from long-time Miata owners what their motivation is for buying the Miata and how it rates as a daily use car for the few who actually drives it every day. Has it been a reliable ride esp in the latest SkyActiv form? Aside from the snug space (which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it), what are the negatives about the car?

Did you buy the car for its intrinsic fun-to-drive factor or is it for a multitude of reasons that include the notion that it would enhance your social image, makes you feel (sorta) young again and/or the Miata as a handy chick magnet.

For some people, I suspect its a little bit of all of the above + perhaps other reasons I may have overlooked. Do share your thoughts on the matter.

i bought mine because i wanted a small fun convertible. i've been driving it for the past 2.5 years every day. works great as a commuter car, but the bigger trips to the hardware store often require me to take the wife's mazda5.

I know people that drive it daily all year round. It's a very reliable car!

I drive mine primarily on weekends. I bought it to modify to take to the track. It's fully braced, on coilovers, has a rollbar and hardtop, and Sparco seats. Yes, it's still daily driveable. Take the top off, it's even more fun.

It can be a great daily driver because it's good on gas, easy to drive and park, and it's fun. Yes, not much room for that large screen TV purchase but how often are you going to do that? It's fine for groceries and small items.

drove mine daily thru the winter and all. never did anything to it except regular maintenance, never left me stranded.

Back