My car ('14) doesn't have the transmission oil dipstick (MT). Now what?

:
2014 Mazda5 GT - 6 MT - White
So I saw this video in Youtube showing how to replace your own transmission oil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNjuAGLZmDs

And I was looking for the transmission dipstick in my car to take a look at the color of the oil. Long story short, there is no dipstick on my 2014, because it is a manual transmission.

So Mazda decided not to have the dipstick for the manual box. Well, I don't like that, but whatever. Could any one pls tell me what else is different between the two transmissions? Do they use the same fluid / oil? Should the service interval be about the same?

For the owners of manual transmissions, is there any (convenient) way to see the color of the oil?

How often would you recommend the change the oil for the manual transmission of 2012+ models?

Thank you in advance!

Roboto I've never owned a manual transmission car with a dip stick. Dip sticks are for auto transmissions as far as I know. Also, the manual and auto trans do not use the same fluid. IIRC, the manual uses a synthetic gear oil and the auto uses the M-V 5 auto fluid. There is no recommended miles for changing out the trans fluids on the manual. Most people here do a flush every 30K miles for the auto trans but I don't recall on the manual trans. On my old 2006 MZ5 5MT I performed the drain and refill every 30K which only exchanged about 3qts tops. I would say you'd be safe to do the same on your 2012. Hope this helps. By the way there is a drain bolt and a refill bolt on the actual trans that you use to drain the old fluid and pump in new fluid. You will know it's full once the new fluid begins to pour out the refill hole as you pump new fluid in. Yes it can get messy so have a few rags and a pan near by.

Last edited:
Could any one pls tell me what else is different between the two transmissions? Do they use the same fluid / oil? Should the service interval be about the same?

Per page 10-4 of my OM...
Manual transaxle oil:
API Service GL-4
SAE 75W-80 grade

My AT needs M5 ATF:
Automatic transaxle fluid
Mazda Genuine ATF M-V

As to change intervals, I don't think you'll find anything in the manual for either transmission. Dealer's service department told me that ATF should be changed every 30K miles (about 50K km). Parts department folks (same dealer) said that OEM M5 fluid is full synthetic and should be changed at 60K miles (about 100K km). Go figure. Perhaps those with MT can shed more light.

I can't speak for the 5, but usually in a manual transmission I change the oil about every 50,000 to 100,000 miles. It just depends on what kind of general maintenance to the car I'm doing and if I feel like doing it at the time.

The oil in a manual transmission mostly just lubes all the gears, synchros, bearings, etc. It doesn't go through the extreme heat of an automatic and doesn't have to do what an automatic has to do either. Which is transfer torque, drive a pump, pressure internal hydraulics, etc.

So Mazda decided not to have the dipstick for the manual box. Well, I don't like that, but whatever. Could any one pls tell me what else is different between the two transmissions?

I have yet to own a manual transmission vehicle with a dipstick. The ones I've had have a drain plug and a fill plug. You could pull the fill plug and stick your pinky in there to see what the oil looks and smells like.

So Mazda decided not to have the dipstick for the manual box. Well, I don't like that, but whatever.

So the dipstick for a manual transmission - pretty much all makes, years and models - is your finger.
As for interval, I adopted a 100K or so policy myself. Just be sure to put the correct weight back in when you finally get around to doing it. If the weight is too heavy, it will be tough to shift when cold.

Wait a few more years will you replace that fluid.
Manual tranny fluid should easily last 100k km /60k miles.

Just an update to this old post: earlier today I took the car to the dealer for a change of transmission oil, the damage was $145 plus Canadian taxes.

I wanted to do it sooner that later and I wanted the dealer to do it for the first time... car has 28,000 kms (approx. 17,400 miles).

I bit shocked that the car feels quite different (noise level went down, the shifter feels "heavier"). Makes me wonder if there was not enough oil before now.

FWIW, a manual transmission oil change is easier than an oil change. You literally let the old oil drain out dry, plug hole, and fill in via fill hole until it overflows out of the fill hole, no measuring needed. Aside from a stock set, you need a funnel (3 for $1 @ dollar store) and ~foot long hose ($0.50 at Lowes/HD) to fill it from the top OR a siphon pump to fill it from the bottom. (Hint: funnel and hose coming from the top is MUCH easier, faster, and cheaper). A good and fresh fluid is very important.

Back