Shift delay going from P to D on a 2016 GT

They check the car and update PCM software and they told me the problem is fixed. I tested and the delay is gone, and when coming to stop the downshifting is not that noticeable now. I think maybe in 2015 model they fix the issue but still need software update or something. I will be going to dealership next week again to replace the bluetooth module. Thank you mike,pdlpsher,and craigo。

Thanks for reporting back and glad they got you all spruced up! Mine hasn't needed any software updates or calibration and I have good throttle, shifting, braking and MPG so I haven't had it to a shop since it was new in 2012. But it sounds like it just needed a little re-calibration.

I assume your bill was $0.00?

Thanks for reporting back and glad they got you all spruced up! Mine hasn't needed any software updates or calibration and I have good throttle, shifting, braking and MPG so I haven't had it to a shop since it was new in 2012. But it sounds like it just needed a little re-calibration.

I assume your bill was $0.00?

0.00 he wants me pay for rental car for $30 bulks, I told him the recall letter said Mazda will cover it then he called his boss and then send me home. I am glad Mazda has great warranty services.

I would be curious on the transmission failures and the BUILD DATES of the CX5s

Mine has a build date of AUGUST 2015 but so far so good with 4,300 miles.

hello,

im from mexico and i just bought a cx5 2016 2.5l 2wd... im gonna get it on friday..

can you tell me your experience with the automatic transmission issue ??

did it resolve after the repair ??

what was the mileage before the issue and what is the mileage now after the repair ??

manufacture date ??

thank you in advance for your information, im a bit nervous about my upcoming cx5 hopefully it wont have any issue becuase i spent most of the time on the highway THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I am having the same issue described in earlier posts with my 2013 CX-5 Touring. It jerks from P to D or R to D after a 2-3 sec delay. Im guessing the Transmission needs to be replaced as well; however, I already have 87K miles on it compared to a lot of you that had this issue very early on still under warranty. The inspection alone would be $60-120 just to look at the issue. I cant imagine how much a new transmission out of pocket would run. Any ideas?

Sad thing is, I was thinking of trading in the CX-5 for a larger SUV soon.

I would have the dealer inspect and diagnose. Could be something "simple" like software or sensor problem. But if it means a new tranny, maybe see if they will offer a goodwill discount. But then you will have more information to support any next steps.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I am having the same issue described in earlier posts with my 2013 CX-5 Touring. It jerks from P to D or R to D after a 2-3 sec delay. Im guessing the Transmission needs to be replaced as well; however, I already have 87K miles on it compared to a lot of you that had this issue very early on still under warranty. The inspection alone would be $60-120 just to look at the issue. I cant imagine how much a new transmission out of pocket would run. Any ideas?

Sad thing is, I was thinking of trading in the CX-5 for a larger SUV soon.
Sorry to hear that you're having transmission problem. I bet you have not replaced you ATF since new which may speed up your problem. Without warranty, the best way is to start looking for a used transmission with minimum miles from salvage yards. Once replaced, you should start changing the ATF routinely, or sell it ASAP. Of course you can try to call Customer Experience Center of Mazda North American Operations to file the complaint, and may be seeking some help too.

I would have the dealer inspect and diagnose. Could be something "simple" like software or sensor problem. But if it means a new tranny, maybe see if they will offer a goodwill discount. But then you will have more information to support any next steps.

There is also a position relearn procedure that can be done... might not work but easy enough to try.

Some good news

Some decent news... I spoke to the Mazda Customer Experience Center and they said for me to take the vehicle to get diagnosed at the dealership. If they can fix it, great. Otherwise, if it is the transmission needing replacement, I can request the dealership to offer the goodwill discount, as you mentioned, and hopefully they will elect to take that. This would allow me save some money on the repairs. He said typically they will cover the parts. If the dealership does not offer it, then I can call back to Mazda Customer Experience Center and they will contact the dealership directly to assist with the repairs. He gave me a reference # and his direct line for support. Good experience thus far with this ordeal.

Wish me luck!

I've seen the rare shift shock like he describes, less than a handful of times, always when transmission is cold and going from R to D - like after backing down my drive. But it sounds like he experiences it frequently.

Craigo, you just described exactly what mine does from time to time. I purchased my 2016 CX-5 Sport AWD (build date 10/15) December 2015. Mine has done it about 10 to 15 times, since purchase. It will only shift shock, on rare occasions, when going from R to D , and only when pulling out of my drive way. I Never have any issues from P to D or when accelerating from a stop light. It went so long without doing it, 3 to 4 months, I didn't even mention it at my last scheduled maintenance appointment. Then , out of the blue, it happened once a couple weeks , but hasn't happened since.

Last edited:
Same reverse to drive problem here, mine is a '14 2.5 with 45k. Problem just started happening. Reverse to Drive on cold start cause a single hesitation surge. Never happens again until next day cold start. Obviously is a small defect or calibration problem . Anyone have success outside of trany replacement?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back