2016 - Soft Brakes - Better Pads?

This sounds to me like possibly some air got into the hydraulic system. Might just need the brakes bleed. A good mechanic at the dealer should easily be able to diagnose that.

Mazda has a service bulletin out for rear brake wear, it's not a "feature" like Mike.M is opining. I looked into it, lol

Mazda Service Bulletin 04-003/14

Mazda has a service bulletin out for rear brake wear, it's not a "feature" like Mike.M is opining. I looked into it, lol

Mazda Service Bulletin 04-003/14

I'm not saying the OP's brakes are normal because they don't sound normal and I haven't inspected them. My comments were in direct response to another member complaining that their rear brake pads only lasted 30,000 miles:

My rear brakes only lasted 30,000 miles, so have it looked at soon before they charge you for wear and tear. I have 105,000 miles on my BWM and they still have a lot left on them. Do Mazda pads wear this fast? If so is the material they are made of too soft?

I'm saying it's normal for the rear brakes to wear out sooner than the front brakes. This is the opposite of every other car I've owned and will occur on every CX-5 that is working correctly and driven without hard braking. But nice attempt to twist my words and try to make it appear I said something I didn't. (no)

comment-man.png

Judging by your earlier post:

Adding him to the ignore list, best advice that a-hole ever gave.

The fact that you quoted me is proof that your attempt to add me to your ignore list was a failure! (whistle)

Last edited:
G37? I had a 370Z, and didn't notice it being especially lenient. But I thought the G37 had a viscous LSD just my my 370Z did, but there are MANY "G's" out there...AMG, G37, G35,...

G35x... only G35/37 RWD sports have the LSD. The X AWD sports just use the simulated like other Infiniti G models. Of course they renamed the G37 the Q40 the final few years to squeeze a few more years of life out of it. The Q50 didn't sell as well as they hoped and they needed something on the lower price point so they kept the old G37 around and renamed it the Q40. 2015 was final model year of that series.

Glad I avoided the 3.7L VVEL motors...the early ones anyway. Some oil consumption issues from 2008-2010 or '11. There is a Nissan TSB on it.

In my G the increased wear on rear pads appears to have been caused by EBD and the simulated LSD. The ESC in that vehicle lets you push the car farther to it's limits that most vehicles.

"In some systems, EBD distributes more braking pressure at the rear brakes during initial brake application before the effects of weight transfer become apparent."

This guy knows whats up.

Don't listen to other members that give out BS info like "this is what happens on the race track [probably never even driven on one]....brakes last between 25k-75k [broad statement with such a huge range]"....and list of other non-factual observations

Just block him. He and another handjob are gone from my feed and it's a wonderful place again. :)

Just block him. He and another handjob are gone from my feed and it's a wonderful place again. :)

Funny thing is, he claimed to have put me on his ignore list last week but he's still misquoting my posts. How is that possible? (uhm)

I'm not saying the OP's brakes are normal because they don't sound normal and I haven't inspected them. My comments were in direct response to another member complaining that their rear brake pads only lasted 30,000 miles:

I'm saying it's normal for the rear brakes to wear out sooner than the front brakes. This is the opposite of every other car I've owned and will occur on every CX-5 that is working correctly and driven without hard braking. But nice attempt to twist my words and try to make it appear I said something I didn't. (no)

Mine are at 36k miles and not anywhere near done. Same for the fronts.

G35x... only G35/37 RWD sports have the LSD. The X AWD sports just use the simulated like other Infiniti G models. Of course they renamed the G37 the Q40 the final few years to squeeze a few more years of life out of it. The Q50 didn't sell as well as they hoped and they needed something on the lower price point so they kept the old G37 around and renamed it the Q40. 2015 was final model year of that series.

Glad I avoided the 3.7L VVEL motors...the early ones anyway. Some oil consumption issues from 2008-2010 or '11. There is a Nissan TSB on it.

The VQ37 was actually the only part of my 370Z that impressed me. I would lose about 1/2 quart every 4-5K miles or so, but considering that every downshift was perfectly rev-matched, I bet it was just getting sucked through the PCV, and I was pretty impressed! Mine was a 2012, though.

I have 36K miles on mine, and they are barely worn according to last inspection. The fact that your rear brakes wore before the front tells me something is wrong with your vehicle vs. the pad material, OR you just got some pad pads that slipped through QA/QC.

Now I am wondering if my dealer lied and ripped me off.

Was Going To

Was going to block them but then I realized they give me a good laugh. Though sometimes their posts are just nasty.

I already blocked him but his BS permeates the filters when someone quotes him.

Anyway, sorry OP. If you're brake pedal on your 2016 doesn't feel right, why even worry about what it might be, just let the dealer take care of it under warranty. If they can't fix it or say there is no issue, you can let them explain to you why they think its ok and work it out.

If you're really bent on fixing it, it might be related to air in the brake lines, so you can try bleeding your brakes. You can take this opportunity to use a better fluid too like Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF, which I've had a lot of great results with.

Last edited:
I already blocked him but his BS permeates the filters when someone quotes him.

This is ironic! You claim to have me on your ignore list and yet have demonstrated you are able to reply directly to my posts (which is impossible). Hint: Switch to "threaded" display mode to view which post a reply is in response to. To blame it on someone else quoting me is a flat out lie.

It looks like you know about as much about the software that runs this site as you do about mechanical details. I am always honest here - it looks like you need to do some soul searching before you start accusing me of BS...

This is ironic! You claim to have me on your ignore list and yet have demonstrated you are able to reply directly to my posts (which is impossible). Hint: Switch to "threaded" display mode to view which post a reply is in response to. To blame it on someone else quoting me is a flat out lie.

It looks like you know about as much about the software that runs this site as you do about mechanical details. I am always honest here - it looks like you need to do some soul searching before you start accusing me of BS...

And so it continues.

OP. I feel the same way about the brakes on my CX5 (2016). My last car was a Accord that I put cross drilled and slotted rotors on with better pads and the change was amazing. To me the brakes on the cx5, just seem as if they don't "bite" like my last car did. Ive actually had the auto stop function turn on, on me and it felt I wasn't going to stop in time. Time for me to adjust to the braking on this car. And if I find some better rotors and pads for when they need to be changed.

Very weird. My 2015 seems great for a small suv. I'm quick to call something out o a shortcoming, but I'm just not having issues.

Was 2016 the first year for the push-button park brake actuation and are any of you 2016 owners ever using the park brake?

yea 2016 was the first year. I use mine almost everytime. Im not a fan of letting the car rest on the transmission.

yea 2016 was the first year. I use mine almost everytime. Im not a fan of letting the car rest on the transmission.

You leave it in N and use the brake? This relieves stress on the transmission? I use mine when parked on a hill but still leave it in P. Not good?

Latest posts

Back