Need urgent help!! Timing belt and tensioner spring

Evob7m

:
2003.5 Mazda Speed Protege Racing Beat edition
So I was changing my water pump 2-3 days ago, all was well and I turned on the car and my timing belt started getting eaten from the side, prior to this my tensioner spring was a bit worn meaning the spring wasn't compressed enough, I'm not sure if that's the problem to get a new tensioner spring because this is now my second timing belt and this all happened within 2 days. Need help guys urgent, please respond if you need anymore details about what I did, I also did use a sticky to replace my water pump

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    680.1 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    949.1 KB · Views: 373
You need to find out what the belt is rubbing on. I don't think the tensioner is at fault as it just pushes the belt inward. But also having a weak tensioner isn't a good thing either. I'd leave the timing belt covers off an start it up an give it some rpms an watch what's happening. Then again it could be the tensioner if the the belt is flapping an loose.

Well I got the timing belt to stop shredding but now the car isn't running right, it's bogging down, some backfire, I'm not sure if I put the timing on incorrect or something I need some help

You need to make sure all the marks are lined up. You could have skipped a tooth and misaligned everything!

All markings are lined up and the passenger side piston was TDC. Still seems that one side of the timing belt it looser than the other.

When you Install the belt, with all marks aligned you want the front side to be tight as you loop it around from the crank, up over the exhaust pully and finally the intake it's kindof tricky todo it with the idler installed so i have loostened it and retightened after install. You don't want any slack on the right side at all basically. Prob skipped a tooth. Also make sure your aligning the letters and not the dots.

the tensioners can fail over time, especially in the aftermarket timing belt kits. It happened to my car

Back