Right front wheel knocking

The sounds comes mostly from pot holes more than raised bumps. It's gotten worse with changing the front struts and wheel bearings, we checked the the ball joints and found the left side lower worn and replaced it with a whole new control arm due to the hole being stretched out, but right side seemed good so we left it. Is it possible the mounting plates for the struts could make this noise? My mechanic has suggested the possibility of the drive axle making this noise, he thinks there is a little to much play in the axle up and down.

Is it possible the mounting plates for the struts could make this noise?

I had a strut that would knock that was most noticeable going over railroad tracks. It turned out the re-used nylock nut on top of the strut in the strut mount was loose. It really needed a new nut, but I just gooped blue Loctite on the threads and tightened it back down.

Here's a recent thread with an upper strut mount failure.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850171

The sounds comes mostly from pot holes more than raised bumps. It's gotten worse with changing the front struts and wheel bearings, we checked the the ball joints and found the left side lower worn and replaced it with a whole new control arm due to the hole being stretched out, but right side seemed good so we left it. Is it possible the mounting plates for the struts could make this noise? My mechanic has suggested the possibility of the drive axle making this noise, he thinks there is a little to much play in the axle up and down.

SWAY BAR BUSHINGS

It will sound / feel like a wheel or suspension component is loose, you can feel the knock or bump in the floorboard, and even in the steering.

Sway bar bushings last about 60K, and the cold weather will make it feel/ sound worse also.

You will feel it / notice it when one wheel is doing something the other wheel is not, pot hole, bump, turning into a drive way, or going over a speed bump sideways so both front tires are hitting the bump at different times.

Thanks every one for your input, I think I'm leaning more towards the engine mount or sway bar bushing , will post back in this thread again when issue is solved.

Back